Springdale Fitness Trail

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Springdale Fitness Trail

What is the designated status of the Springdale Fitness Trail, running through the Nancy Lopez golf courses?

My Villages map shows icons of runners/walkers and cyclists, with no brown "golf carts" line, yet when I was walking it this morning there was an almost constant stream of golf carts heading to or from a round.

The golf courses have their own cart paths, and there are plenty of golf cart-accessible roads in the area, so it would be nice if this small part of the Villages were reserved for quiet, relaxed enjoyment, especially as there are so many birds there singing away.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There's no sign banning golf carts. To get to the doggy park, you need to go on the trail or park by the swimming pools (not feasible for some with handicaps). So, while I understand your wanting it to be golf-cart prohibited, I don't think it is.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

My wife and I enjoy that trail too and, even though carts use it, it feels safer than walking on the more busy streets. The half mile across Belle Meade with the fitness circuit does not allow carts. Remember, multi-modal.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
Remember, multi-modal.
but is it?

that is what I am asking
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Eternal Member

If you cross Belle Meade Circle headed south (past the pool), there is a full fitness trail that is strictly for walkers and I guess bikers. It is a figure 8 that has exercise stations.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM

The full fitness trail south, across Belle Meade is for walkers only. No bikes, no golf carts, no motorized vehicles at all. It is such a peaceful walk and is 1/2 mile long so you can go around as many times as you want plus you can use the exercise apparatuses on the trail for a more intense workout.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Sage

Red is right, as usual. The stretch of the trail that is golf-cart accessible is needed for access to the dog park.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM

I certainly would not want to deprive handicapped people of the right to drive their golf carts to the Dog Park, and I admit that I hadn't thought of that when I originally posted, but the Dog Park is only a short way in.

It would be easy enough to allow carts to use that short section of path to access the Dog Park without having to condemn the whole 1.25 miles of it to vehicular traffic.

Carts are just using it as a short cut. Going round Belle Mead or continuing along Buena Vista would add very little to their journey, but would greatly increase the serenity and saftey of the Fitness Trail.

Certainly, there is a small pedestrian-only figure-of-eight south of Belle Mead, but it is incomparable to the beauty of the section to the north which is flanked by golf courses, contains numerous ponds and harbors hundreds of birds.

Of course, I'll want the electricity pylons removed next :-)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I hate to admit it but I'm one of those who happily uses the path to get from Springdale to Mulberry. I love the serenity of that path and because it saves me some time, which is important when I'm working. I drive it slowly and try to be very considerate of those I share the path with -- I think we all use this path to enjoy it. I'm sorry that the carts disturb your enjoyment. Sadly, I think you're as stuck as bicyclists and golf carts are stuck with pedestrians who have the option of using sidewalks but prefer the multi-modal path to do their walking.

I won't even comment about the power towers (as I call 'em). They almost wreck the whole thing.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

It's official:

Thank you for your email. The Springdale Fitness and Walking Trail does allow golf carts north of Belle Meade Circle.
Golf carts are not permitted south of Bell Meade Circle, where the Fitness stations are located.
If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask!
Regards,
Jim Lucas, MPA, MA
Recreation Manager
VCDD Recreation Department
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.