Comfortable Distance in a Golf Cart?

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I looked at the atomic cart yesterday. Very comfortable and loaded with extras that you wouldn't believe. The only drawback I could see was a max of 80 miles on a single charge, and that was not using any of the accessories, ie: a/c or heat--headlights--power windows--radio, etc. Very reasonable priced, also.
You probably won't get 80 miles. Maybe if you push it, 70 which is PLENTY because how often do you drive that far in a day? When you get home just plug it in. I get (an interpolated) 60-65 WITH HEAT or A/C but only on long enough to just take off the chill with the power windows up. I once pushed it until I had to be towed (duhhh) to see and I got just over 70. Just think, a $120,000 Tesla only gets 300 or so.

The ODOMETER is in Kilometers not miles which most owners don't realize and they didn't mention. So if it says 100 traveled that's really a little over 60 miles. When I bought I was told "someone said they got 150 miles." Even if it was 150KM it was 90 miles and from my experience I doubt that. I put all those statistics in with "car salesman facts."

That being said we absolutely love it. I have had 2 of them. The original coupe (reg AGM batteries) for 18mos and 10,000 miles and now the "Zipper" with lithium.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
What do you guys consider a comfortable distance to travel in a golf cart? 2 miles? Five? Ten? At what point do you say heck with it and hop in the car?
We have only one car, one cart, two bikes. Some, many, have two cars, two golf carts, and a pickup in the driveway. Take a look at the traffic. Our 3 and 1/2 year old car has 900 miles on it.
Yep it can be done and none of them sit outside.
Take a look at what this does to the neighborhood. How many vehicles have to be sitting around outside.??? Please pardon the rant.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I looked at the atomic cart yesterday. Very comfortable and loaded with extras that you wouldn't believe. The only drawback I could see was a max of 80 miles on a single charge, and that was not using any of the accessories, ie: a/c or heat--headlights--power windows--radio, etc. Very reasonable priced, also.
To us that kind of defeats the fun of having a golf cart.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My back will only take so much pounding crossing the street drains and speed bumps. So about 5 miles one way enough for me, unless I have no other transportation options
We outfitted our cart with upgraded bucket seats which have wonderful lumbar supports and comfortable arm rests. Bucket seats were a must for me as I'm short and could not easily reach the pedals. The lumbar support is an added bonus which was worth every penny for those seats.

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-05-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 AM

What Jo-Mar said - we've found the seats are the real difference maker. Good, quality bucket seats with plenty of cushion make for an easy trip, no matter how far you go. In a golf cart, the seats are really your shocks - keep that in mind!!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

The way I describe how far you can go with an electric golf cart is, with new batteries I can go from Country Club Hills to Brownwood, drive around down there and drive back without a problem. After a year, I can go to Brownwood, drive around a little bit and make it back. After 2 years I can drive to Brownwood and maybe make it back. 3 years, maybe get Brownwood, but not make it back. 4 years, not even make it to Brownwood. 5 years, lucky to make it to Lake Sumpter and back (time for new batteries).
Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 AM

We are seasonals and in four winters we put 14,000 miles on our Yamaha gas cart Only way to travel within the Villages
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
The way I describe how far you can go with an electric golf cart is, with new batteries I can go from Country Club Hills to Brownwood, drive around down there and drive back without a problem. After a year, I can go to Brownwood, drive around a little bit and make it back. After 2 years I can drive to Brownwood and maybe make it back. 3 years, maybe get Brownwood, but not make it back. 4 years, not even make it to Brownwood. 5 years, lucky to make it to Lake Sumpter and back (time for new batteries).

Old 02-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

My second cart is an older Par Car that brakes and steers like a '54 Chevy and has parking lights for headlights. But with 8 six volt batteries and comfortable seats it makes a really good cart for golf. Quiet and no problem playing any distant course.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I get +50 miles per gallon, fresh air and great views by cart.
You must be light foot, I have never got 50 MPG in my EFI golf cart, about 44 best for me
Old 02-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We outfitted our cart with upgraded bucket seats which have wonderful lumbar supports. Bucket seats were a must for me as I'm short and could not easily reach the pedals. The lumbar support is an added bonus which was worth every penny for those seats.
Mine has the 1500 dollar bucket seats with lumbar and adjustable seats, seat belts and head rest. I ran low tire pressure for about 2 years, easy on my back but worn my tires out on the outside.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
We have two electrics and your experience is pretty close to ours. When we purchased we expected battery replacement every three. First set was replaced at just short of 4. For us, it's worth the investment for the quiet rides.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have two electrics and your experience is pretty close to ours. When we purchased we expected battery replacement every three. First set was replaced at just short of 4. For us, it's worth the investment for the quiet rides.
Not only a quiet ride but a vibrations free ride. I've driven three different quiet tech Yamaha gas carts as loaners when I get my cart's annual service and there is a vibration that I don't have in my Yamaha electric cart. Between the engine noise and vibration, I much prefer my electric cart.

I don't drive nearly as far as many Villagers so I don't have the worry about running out of power.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:47 AM
Gold member

All the "joy" of my golf cart joy ride is gone after about 25 miles with a quiet and smooth electric cart with radial tires. 10 miles on a gas cart. I doubt I put more than 3k miles on my car per year and most of that is to keep the battery charged...And the twin-turbo V6 is also extremely joyful.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 AM

We live in Fenney and own a gas streetrod cart and an electric Atomic Zip. So we ride from our house to the Fenney Rec center to the new construction, back to the rec center, back to the new construction, back to the rec center, etc. So far I haven't been able to get the battery level meter on the Zip to move off of the full charge yet. But once we get connected it will be a different story. It will be interesting to see how far we can go in our Zip.
Closed Thread

Tags
comfortable, distance, golf, cart, heck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.