Command Hooks

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Default Command Hooks

Has anyone tried 3M Command hooks to hang pictures on the textured walls of your home? We just finished building and moving in to our new home and I hate the thought of pounding nails in the walls.
If you have had success using them can you tell me approximately how heavy the picture is? And how long the hook has been used.
When you took the command hook down was there any damage to the wall?
I appreciate your feedback.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

They work great on smooth surfaces, but they are not recommended for textured walls. I would use regular picture hangers with a nail. The nail hole is very easy to fill when you remove the picture. Fill the hole with a small piece of spackling, but try to not touch the surrounding textured area.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Yes, and they work fine on smooth walls
We even have a large mirror hung with them without a problem.
No damage to walls, and when lined up correctly, easy to afix.
Basicly sticky velcro.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am the chief pounder, hanger of pictures and I am also head spackler. They give you little amounts of matching paint for touch up. Some things only can be hung on nails.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am the chief pounder, hanger of pictures and I am also head spackler. They give you little amounts of matching paint for touch up. Some things only can be hung on nails.
Yes. Coats and tools in the garden shed!

Use 3M on wall art, and never have to staighten a 'wonky' picure again.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

A great way to fill a nail hole is to fill it with matching paint on the end of a toothpick. It may take a couple of applications of the paint but you will NEVER EVER see the area you filled in. No need for Spackle as that is not as easy to make disappear.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage

On the 3M web site, they specifically state that the Command hooks should not be used on a textured surface. Most of the newer Villages houses have the orange peel texture on the walls. To eliminate wonky pictures, use a picture wire and hang the picture on two picture hangers mounted about 6 to 8 inches apart. Or, use two hoop type hangers attached to both sides of the back of the picture frame. Although, this method requires expert measuring to get the picture straight.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM

Both command hooks i used were rated for 5 lbs. I hung a 1lb or less picture only to have it fall ..TWICE!! we finally went with hollow wall anchors for the heavier stuff and picture hangers that use a small nail for the lighter stuff. Small holes are easy to fill in and leave very little space you can fill with spackling. Hollow wall anchors are a different story. There is a product you can use to mimic your textured walls, for repairing holes. It comes in a spray can like spray paint.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
Both command hooks i used were rated for 5 lbs. I hung a 1lb or less picture only to have it fall ..TWICE!! we finally went with hollow wall anchors for the heavier stuff and picture hangers that use a small nail for the lighter stuff. Small holes are easy to fill in and leave very little space you can fill with spackling. Hollow wall anchors are a different story. There is a product you can use to mimic your textured walls, for repairing holes. It comes in a spray can like spray paint.
I have found that regular, heavy duty picture hangers will hold very heavy objects without the need for hollow wall anchors. But, if you want to repair a wall with the spray-on orange peel texture, I would suggest buying a 2 ft by 2 ft piece of drywall at Home Depot and practice spraying it on. It really takes some skill to get it to match the existing surface. Trust me, you can really make a mess. In most cases, I would just fill in the hollow wall hole with spackling and forget about the spray-on stuff.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

If you are using the command strips...they will work...as long as u use twice as necessary
Old 11-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
A great way to fill a nail hole is to fill it with matching paint on the end of a toothpick. It may take a couple of applications of the paint but you will NEVER EVER see the area you filled in. No need for Spackle as that is not as easy to make disappear.
Great way plus I also use that toothpick and a tiny amount of toilet paper to fill the hole. Depending on the size of your nail, paint may not even be necessary.
Closed Thread

Tags
command, home, hooks, walls, hook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.