Commercial Fertilizer Trucks Driving in Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2022, 04:57 PM
Default Commercial Fertilizer Trucks Driving in Villages

I was coming around a corner in one of the villages recently (name doesn't matter) It was a curve that is typical of many in the Villages. As I approached the turn on the inside of the curve (right lane) I noticed a large Fertilizer tanker truck coming directly toward me head on in my lane. The driver was obviously taking the curve on the inside (my lane) as he went around the curve. In order to avoid a head on collision I had to drive up on the lawn of the house at the corner. Thank Goodness the owner did not have the rocks on the curve that so many corner lots do to prevent drivers like me from going up on the lawn. In this case it saved a head on collision. The result was our two outside mirrors collided and the Tanker truck scraped the side of my car getting the door handle pretty good.
Once we got out and exchanged the obligatory documents and the sheriff came to investigate he admitted he was not looking at the road and didn't see me. I must take a guess and suggest he was probably texting however he could have been looking at his next client or schedule or what not. Doesn't matter he was clearly not driving well.
My question to you is how many times have you had a close encounter with one of the large fertilizer tankers? Or for that matter any large vendor truck that is more interested in their next job than driving carefully? And the final more important question is how many corner lot owners think that the rocks are important to preserve their lawn?
Old 01-26-2022, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

My question to you is how many times have you had a close encounter with one of the large fertilizer tankers?
What difference will this make?

Or for that matter any large vendor truck that is more interested in their next job than driving carefully?
What difference will this make?

And the final more important question is how many corner lot owners think that the rocks are important to preserve their lawn?
Their property their choice....[/QUOTE]

There are laws for driving in the wrong lane....what are you wanting to change?
Old 01-26-2022, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We live on one of those curves, and I see ALL types of vehicles cut the corners, many are residents!. I figure one of these days I will be helping an accident victim.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:19 PM

Yikes. I'm glad you were paying attention.

Most commercial truck drivers are good at what they do. I hope this is an isolated incident.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 AM

What I see often is drivers crossing over the center line to avoid getting to close to golf cars on their right side.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

The simple answer is for the police to enforce the laws and do more observation of driving. We have enough anti cell phone laws now we need some more common sense laws and we also definitely need more safety managers at trucking companies
Old 01-27-2022, 07:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Zero.

Zero.

No idea.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
The simple answer is for the police to enforce the laws and do more observation of driving. We have enough anti cell phone laws now we need some more common sense laws and we also definitely need more safety managers at trucking companies
Just enforce the %^**&^%$#@&*(( laws that are already there.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorknow View Post
I was coming around a corner in one of the villages recently (name doesn't matter) It was a curve that is typical of many in the Villages. As I approached the turn on the inside of the curve (right lane) I noticed a large Fertilizer tanker truck coming directly toward me head on in my lane. The driver was obviously taking the curve on the inside (my lane) as he went around the curve. In order to avoid a head on collision I had to drive up on the lawn of the house at the corner. Thank Goodness the owner did not have the rocks on the curve that so many corner lots do to prevent drivers like me from going up on the lawn. In this case it saved a head on collision. The result was our two outside mirrors collided and the Tanker truck scraped the side of my car getting the door handle pretty good.
Once we got out and exchanged the obligatory documents and the sheriff came to investigate he admitted he was not looking at the road and didn't see me. I must take a guess and suggest he was probably texting however he could have been looking at his next client or schedule or what not. Doesn't matter he was clearly not driving well.
My question to you is how many times have you had a close encounter with one of the large fertilizer tankers? Or for that matter any large vendor truck that is more interested in their next job than driving carefully? And the final more important question is how many corner lot owners think that the rocks are important to preserve their lawn?
No one is perfect. Almost all accidents are avoidable. In the real world your total control is over what YOU do.

The asked question about rocks and a corner lot. I'm not sure I under stand what that has to do with this. But they were there. Not installed at the time of the accident.
Both drivers should have seen them. Neither driver should have been in a situation where they planned on driving off the road on someone's lawn.

It is a safe bet that when the accident report is completed NEITHER driver will say it is their fault.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Things have changed. At one time a police officer could give you a ticket for driving in an unsafe manner. That is a subjective ticket. The reason why they ticket for a specific offence.

As far as trucks, they are big they do not turn as tight as a car, they do not brake as quickly or when loaded accelerate as fast as a car. We see it all the time. People in cars no signal cut in and then since they, being truly dumb drivers had no thought what was going to happen next and had to slam on their brakes expecting the truck in front of them and the one they just cut off to be able to not crush them like a bug.

Since most accidents are avoidable and you have far more control of your car than those around you, safe driving is THINKING if he ........... my avoidance is .................
Sometimes you can't avoid not having a way out. When, you find yourself in that position, you THOUGHT should be how do I quickly and SAFELY get out of this TRAP.

That original post. I of course did not witness any of it but it sounds to me the poster does not realize they CHOSE to enter a dangerous trap and clearly could have chosen not to.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:32 PM

Big trucks and contractors pulling trailers in TV should have a 20MPH speed limit on all streets.

Lets face it, the streets here are narrow and have lots of retired people out walking,riding, cart riding, and otherwise enjoying their neighborhood.

Why does anyone want the big vehicles speeding around?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Big trucks and contractors pulling trailers in TV should have a 20MPH speed limit on all streets.

Lets face it, the streets here are narrow and have lots of retired people out walking,riding, cart riding, and otherwise enjoying their neighborhood.

Why does anyone want the big vehicles speeding around?
Speed limit in TV is 20mph unless posted otherwise. Most neighborhoods wold qualify for 20.

Tags
curve, corner, lane, large, truck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.