Community Service Organizations in action

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Default Community Service Organizations in action

Around 10:00 AM I noticed what appeared to be a sick animal among the bushes in my back yard. I sprung into action. My first call was to Neighborhood Watch. Their quick response was that they would come and get it, only however if it was dead. They referred me to Animal Control where I learned that our esteemed Sumter County government in action would come to pick up the animal, provided however that it was a dog or cat and not a beast of the wild. They referred me to the County Board of Health. In the meantime, I was able to determine that the sick animal was in fact a Raccoon. The Board of Health was equally helpful. The Lady who initially took my call didn’t have a clue what to tell me. Eventually I was turned over to a Gentleman who offered the following possible solution. The only way we can get involved is if someone was bitten by the Coon and it was rabid, in which case they would issue a dispatch order to pick up the beast. The ultimate solution was to call a gentleman referred both by Neighborhood Watch and The Health Bureau. The Gentleman responded from Leesburg in about 45 minutes and fairly quickly trapped and killed (it’s the law) the Raccoon. Bottom line out of pocket cost to local and County government agencies was zero. . My cost was $179 which I later found out was the same amount that several prior callers and/or neighbors refused to pay. I actually feel good about doing what I considered my civic duty to do something about an issue that could have affected many members of the community. In conclusion, I offer a simple question to our local and County elected officials ; why couldn’t some of my Amenity Fee and Tax Dollars have been used to solve this issue and to lighten my personal financial burden? Oh, maybe it's got to do with the fact that elected officials make the rules.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
Around 10:00 AM I noticed what appeared to be a sick animal among the bushes in my back yard. I sprung into action. My first call was to Neighborhood Watch. Their quick response was that they would come and get it, only however if it was dead. They referred me to Animal Control where I learned that our esteemed Sumter County government in action would come to pick up the animal, provided however that it was a dog or cat and not a beast of the wild. They referred me to the County Board of Health. In the meantime, I was able to determine that the sick animal was in fact a Raccoon. The Board of Health was equally helpful. The Lady who initially took my call didn’t have a clue what to tell me. Eventually I was turned over to a Gentleman who offered the following possible solution. The only way we can get involved is if someone was bitten by the Coon and it was rabid, in which case they would issue a dispatch order to pick up the beast. The ultimate solution was to call a gentleman referred both by Neighborhood Watch and The Health Bureau. The Gentleman responded from Leesburg in about 45 minutes and fairly quickly trapped and killed (it’s the law) the Raccoon. Bottom line out of pocket cost to local and County government agencies was zero. . My cost was $179 which I later found out was the same amount that several prior callers and/or neighbors refused to pay. I actually feel good about doing what I considered my civic duty to do something about an issue that could have affected many members of the community. In conclusion, I offer a simple question to our local and County elected officials ; why couldn’t some of my Amenity Fee and Tax Dollars have been used to solve this issue and to lighten my personal financial burden? Oh, maybe it's got to do with the fact that elected officials make the rules.
thanks for spending the $179. I think.
Use of tax dollars, yes, Amenity fees, no.
I suggest you do contact your county elected officials since they probably don't read every/any post on TOTV. You can begin with one of the county commisioners.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Sage

Kimball - too bad you didn't know, but you could have shot the racoon, put it out of its misery and someone would have picked it up at no charge. Seems like everyday things make less sense.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
thanks for spending the $179. I think.
Use of tax dollars, yes, Amenity fees, no.
I suggest you do contact your county elected officials since they probably don't read every/any post on TOTV. You can begin with one of the county commisioners.
I agree with this completely. Since it was stated that the law says the trapped raccoon must be killed, it would stand to reason that the trapper would be paid by the State and not a private individual.

I would second that the person who paid for the trapping should contact the government agency (Fish & Wildlife?) in charge of such activities.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Kimball - too bad you didn't know, but you could have shot the racoon, put it out of its misery and someone would have picked it up at no charge. Seems like everyday things make less sense.
Bad idea. It is ILLEGAL to shoot your gun outside of your home. Don't come back with anything like "stand your ground" or doing something to protect yourself. It is illegal.

Can you imagine seeing your neighbor at 10 in the morning pumping a few rounds into an animal in the bushes? I would be on the phone so fast to the police it would make your head swim - and I would think most others would agree with me.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage

I would rather see that then having my neighbors watching me chase an armadillo thru my yard with a baseball bat - and me still in pj's! Jacksonville Florida not The Villages.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
KittyKat
Default Thanks!

kimball, you did exactly what I would have done. How about knocking on your neighbors' doors with collection can in hand?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

When did "Animal Control", paid for by our tax dollars, become only "Dog and Cat Control"? If it's an animal, if it's in Sumter County, and if someone complains or calls about it, Animal Control should respond. If they don't, we should complain to our County Commissioners and other elected officials.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Bad idea. It is ILLEGAL to shoot your gun outside of your home. Don't come back with anything like "stand your ground" or doing something to protect yourself. It is illegal.

Can you imagine seeing your neighbor at 10 in the morning pumping a few rounds into an animal in the bushes? I would be on the phone so fast to the police it would make your head swim - and I would think most others would agree with me.
What statute is that ? Posting that it is illegal doesn't make it so.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What statute is that ? Posting that it is illegal doesn't make it so.
Florida Statutes 790.15
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Gold member

Just be thankful it was not a 12 foot long Alligator in your yard. Could happen, because they live in TV too.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
-------have affected many members of the community. In conclusion, I offer a simple question to our local and County elected officials ; why couldn’t some of my Amenity Fee and Tax Dollars have been used to solve this issue and to lighten my personal financial burden? Oh, maybe it's got to do with the fact that elected officials make the rules.
Your simple problem is a good example of what our elected and government workers are in business for. They are to pontificate, weave, dodge, avoid, obstruct, deny responsibility, pass off any real problems, and collect a paycheck. "Hey lady, your problen is not my problem!"
Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Well Florida Statutes 790.15 says Public place. Was the bushes public or private property??
Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFish;6***11
Well Florida Statutes 790.15 says Public place. Was the bushes public or private property??
So if I have a critter in my yard that I believe could be a danger to myself or my pets I can shoot it - correct???
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho;6***21
So if I have a critter in my yard that I believe could be a danger to myself or my pets I can shoot it - correct???
Do whatever you think is appropriate - and be prepared to explain it to a judge. He may be on your side or he may not be on your side. In either case, it is likely that your attorney fees will be steep. I have heard that both the Marion County and Sumter County jails are pretty nasty places - but do whatever you think is appropriate.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.