Community Standards

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Platinum member

If I lived there, I’d go and ask them what’s up.

If they’re doing a Florida Native Plant yard, they would have had to receive ARC approval and provided very specific plans. If they haven’t, neighbors have a legitimate complaint.

From the photo, it looks like pine mulch. I could be wrong. Pine mulch in this quantity could create a fire hazard. It has also been known to clog storm sewers when heavy rains occur.

There may be a reasonable explanation for this. I can’t imagine what it could be. Piling mulch on top of turf is of no value and smothers it.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
Pass this house everyday. The front yard was the only grass this house had since new. The sides and back are Florida Friendly plantings. They sprayed and killed the whole front yard about a month ago. I am not sure what they are doing but I will offer a guess. Some homeowners are replacing grass with a very slow growing green plant.
You see a lot of this type of plant along the MM paths. About twice a year they use a sting trimmer to trim the tops off. Please this is just a guess.

The groundcover plant you see growing along paths and in medians (planted by TV) is usually Asiatic Jasmine or Perrenial Peanut. These are great choices to replace turf in zone 9a. TV makes excellent choices in plant materials. You’ll not see an expanse of mulch like that on a Villages-owned parcel.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Default Florida Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
If I lived there, I’d go and ask them what’s up.

If they’re doing a Florida Native Plant yard, they would have had to receive ARC approval and provided very specific plans. If they haven’t, neighbors have a legitimate complaint.

From the photo, it looks like pine mulch. I could be wrong. Pine mulch in this quantity could create a fire hazard. It has also been known to clog storm sewers when heavy rains occur.

There may be a reasonable explanation for this. I can’t imagine what it could be. Piling mulch on top of turf is of no value and smothers it.
Yes it is Pine Straw. They killed the grass on purpose before putting it down. Like you said if it was approved no big deal.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Also if it was approved, it means this is a temporary thing to protect/treat the dirt below the layer, so as to prepare it for healthy new growth. Solution for the neighbors: wait a month before putting your house up for sale, if the property value is truly a concern. At that point, the property value will be even higher than it was, before this homeowner stripped his unhealthy lawn and started repairing it.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Also if it was approved, it means this is a temporary thing to protect/treat the dirt below the layer, so as to prepare it for healthy new growth. Solution for the neighbors: wait a month before putting your house up for sale, if the property value is truly a concern. At that point, the property value will be even higher than it was, before this homeowner stripped his unhealthy lawn and started repairing it.

Yes, but as a neighbor with a vested interest, I’d go and ask. It might ease a lot of minds.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Let's see, my water bill just went to almost nothing for outdoor watering, my maintenance cost & effort just went down to almost nothing, when the weather turns too hot or too cold my native landscape does just fine, I have eliminated cost and pollution of fertilizers/bug spray for a bunch of grass that I never go out to play croquet, badminton or volleyball and normally is used as a bathroom for dogs. Yea I can see how all that will cause my property value to go down!!! If I lived next them or near I would be applauding and asking for references on who is doing the work.

Also from a prior comment about ticks and other bugs, must be a northern thing. As a life long southerner I have raked, baled, bagged, moved and done just about everything you can do with pine straw, including used it as bedding for some great forts. I have never gotten a tick, chigger, snake, roach attack, sasquatch or bear attach from pine straw. It is a pretty sterile medium and a great mulch. Not a dig or jab at northerners, just have heard these tales way too many times.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM

its's pretty easy to complain without facts. Why not ask the owner? I did. It is part of a process and has been approved by the villages. It won't be that way forever. Is the original writer of the post the same one that bothered to turn in 20 people for yard ornaments?

The owner is trying to improve the lawn and is feeling bad being found guilty without information. Give it a chance!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
its's pretty easy to complain without facts. Why not ask the owner? I did. It is part of a process and has been approved by the villages. It won't be that way forever. Is the original writer of the post the same one that bothered to turn in 20 people for yard ornaments?

The owner is trying to improve the lawn and is feeling bad being found guilty without information. Give it a chance!
That's great to know, and thank you for taking the moment to actually ask the neighbors directly. It really didn't seem like something intended to be permanent, considering you could very easily see the damaged greenery (which was yellow) in the photograph.
Closed Thread

Tags
removed, compare, neighborhood, allowed, values

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.