Community standards ?

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Sage

Well I guess the question here is if you thought something was not in compliance would you file a complaint?

I wouldn't, would anyone else?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Well I guess the question here is if you thought something was not in compliance would you file a complaint?

Plenty do Jimbo. If it offends you, you can report it. You do NOT have to look at the bending over lady made of plywood in bright colors for the rest of your life.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Sage

Doesn't offend me, just think the ARC should do the enforement
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Doesn't offend me, just think the ARC should do the enforement
BUT....my dear, that ISN'T how it works!

AND it isn't likely to change.

And there probably will not be another dog park, indoor pools, a large performing art center and desired work out rooms.

It is what it is.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Well I guess the question here is if you thought something was not in compliance would you file a complaint? I wouldn't, would anyone else?
I think for most people it probably depends on the degree of non compliance. I doubt most of us would complain about a tasteful sand crane tucked into the landscaping. But if someone fenced in their back yard with a six-foot fence, or put a stuffed moose on their front lawn, I betcha someone in the 'hood would complain.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:

Yep!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

YES----- The consistent enforcement of appropriate deed restrictions will prevent lots of trouble later. If you don't like the restrictions you have three choices: try to have them modified(very difficult) , comply, or move.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Sage

ALSO, it states in the last section of the covenants that the owners have an obligation to insure that they are enforced. Up to and including litigation.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Okay, let me try to explain my thoughts with a hypothetical situation. You have a hedge across your back yard. The restrictions call that a barrier, so no barrier can be more then 4' tall. Your hedge is 41/2' tall. Some neighbor, name unknown, calls ARB to complain. An inspector shows up and says sorry but, you must cut your hedge down to 4' in order to comply. I say you are correct and I will trim them down to the required height today. As I say that, I look around in all directions from my yard and notice that all the homes to my left and right as far down as six or seven homes, all have 7' or 8' high hedges. The inspector see's me looking and says "If you want to complain about all the other hedges that are not in compliance then call my office and register your complaint and I will come back and issue those complaints to all your neighbors. Well I don't know about anyone else but, I could never do that. I am not saying that the ARB is doing anything wrong, what I am saying is that I feel it is wrong for me to have to act as a policeman with my fellow Villagers. I do not pretend to have the answers to what I percieve as a system with a giant flaw that sets neighbor against neighbor. I was hoping that if we bounce this around a little more, mybe someone can think of a better way. Please understand, I'm not knocking the Villages, I just see a problem. Maybe it can be fixed and maybe not. Couldn't hurt for reasonable folks to discuss it.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrack View Post
Okay, let me try to explain my thoughts with a hypothetical situation. You have a hedge across your back yard. The restrictions call that a barrier, so no barrier can be more then 4' tall. Your hedge is 41/2' tall. Some neighbor, name unknown, calls ARB to complain. An inspector shows up and says sorry but, you must cut your hedge down to 4' in order to comply. I say you are correct and I will trim them down to the required height today. As I say that, I look around in all directions from my yard and notice that all the homes to my left and right as far down as six or seven homes, all have 7' or 8' high hedges. The inspector see's me looking and says "If you want to complain about all the other hedges that are not in compliance then call my office and register your complaint and I will come back and issue those complaints to all your neighbors. Well I don't know about anyone else but, I could never do that. I am not saying that the ARB is doing anything wrong, what I am saying is that I feel it is wrong for me to have to act as a policeman with my fellow Villagers. I do not pretend to have the answers to what I percieve as a system with a giant flaw that sets neighbor against neighbor. I was hoping that if we bounce this around a little more, mybe someone can think of a better way. Please understand, I'm not knocking the Villages, I just see a problem. Maybe it can be fixed and maybe not. Couldn't hurt for reasonable folks to discuss it.
In the past (Neighborhood Watch) now Community Watch was the policeman. That didn't work and was changed to what we now have.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage

The community standards do rely on residents to make sure everything looks great.

I can imagine what kind of posts we would be seeing if Community Watch was in charge of reporting violations. It would be like "Big Brother" or "Nazi Tactics".

In the case of hedges being too tall, that is a small issue. If someone painted their house bright purple with huge yellow sunflowers on it, would you not complain about that? It would bring the value of your home down. A junk car in the driveway leaking oil? Grass not mowed all summer? Grandparents with their grown children and small grandkids living in the same house? Someone hanging clothes in the yard on a clothesline? All of these things would lower your home value and make The Villages look like a West Virginia trailer park.

Yes, we need to rely on residents to report violations. It is not pitting neighbor against neighbor. It is keeping our property values high and The Villages a place where people want to live The Villages Lifestyle.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The community standards do rely on residents to make sure everything looks great.

I can imagine what kind of posts we would be seeing if Community Watch was in charge of reporting violations. It would be like "Big Brother" or "Nazi Tactics".

In the case of hedges being too tall, that is a small issue. If someone painted their house bright purple with huge yellow sunflowers on it, would you not complain about that? It would bring the value of your home down. A junk car in the driveway leaking oil? Grass not mowed all summer? Grandparents with their grown children and small grandkids living in the same house? Someone hanging clothes in the yard on a clothesline? All of these things would lower your home value and make The Villages look like a West Virginia trailer park. Yes, we need to rely on residents to report violations. It is not pitting neighbor against neighbor. It is keeping our property values high and The Villages a place where people want to live The Villages Lifestyle.
Hang on the responses will be a comin...............
Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Sage

So what it comes down to is if you are lucky enough to have neighbors that either don't care or like your style - no problem. If you have neighbors that make your business their business or hate what you've done - too bad, so sad. Does sound like a strange way to enforce the rules.

Personally it would take a LOT for me to report someone - and I hope my neighbors feel the same - although I don't think I am violating anything.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage

Ok - I confess - just violated the rules. Took the dogs out for a 5 minute game of fetch in the backyard (off leash). The good news is my neighbors that were on their lanai thoroughly enjoyed watching the game!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Ok - I confess - just violated the rules. Took the dogs out for a 5 minute game of fetch in the backyard (off leash). The good news is my neighbors that were on their lanai thoroughly enjoyed watching the game!
Dogs running free is not in the community standards, its a county law.
Don't think you violated any law...............
What are the leash laws in Sumter County?
County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

Otherwise a citation will be issued for the animal running free.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.