Comparing Epoxy floor to Square snap-in tiles for Garage

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

probably wtr-based epoxyeasily subject to hot tire pickup delamination
Old 05-05-2021, 03:31 PM

Consider staining the concrete instead of either.

The snap tiles get debris under them and need it cleaned out periodically and the epoxy will in a short time develope tire marks from the hot tires.

Staining is not expensive did ours very reasonably and it looks like epoxy with the chips had our porch done too.

Finney’s paint and pressure washing has been doing work for 20 years in TV great folks to work with and keep their word. Scott Finney 352-753-3629.

At least let him and quote you and explain the differences between what your looking at and the stain. You’ll be glad you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskaggs View Post
I am getting a quote on both—epoxy from Miller, and tiles from Custom Closets. Two totally different systems. Can anyone compare them, or give pros and cons?
Old 05-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,613 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil GTO View Post
Consider staining the concrete instead of either.

The snap tiles get debris under them and need it cleaned out periodically and the epoxy will in a short time develope tire marks from the hot tires.

Staining is not expensive did ours very reasonably and it looks like epoxy with the chips had our porch done too.

Finney’s paint and pressure washing has been doing work for 20 years in TV great folks to work with and keep their word. Scott Finney 352-753-3629.

At least let him and quote you and explain the differences between what your looking at and the stain. You’ll be glad you did.
I think most people use epoxy in the garage, not stain, because it is more resistant to petroleum spills. Concrete stain is normally used for the driveway and/or sidewalks.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Used Miler, did a nice job. Shine does not last where water sits on it and the fading looks bad. For example, under the car where the car AC will leave water.
That I canNOT agree with and the first time I ever heard that complaint. You may need to pressure wash or mop those areas because likely what you are seeing is a coating of dirt. Can't imagine epoxy losing it's "shine" unless you sandpaper it or maybe it was improperly applied.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Location: Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, New Zealand, Uruguay, DC, VA, OH, Village of Santiago

I researched all options and went with tile. Key conclusions: Tile installation is quick and clean - no need to etch or sand floor to remove all old paint. Clean it with a vacuum cleaner. It's not slippery like epoxy can be. Finally - be sure to get a bid from Don at BlackDogGarageFloors before you decide. Great guy, great work, great price.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 PM
Default Proper Cleaning Is Essential!!

I’ve had an epoxy garage floor for over 15 years & it’s holding up great!! No hot tire lift, chipping, or staining.
The first thing the installer told me was NEVER mop it with a soapy solution. ONLY use an Ammonia solution in clean hot water.
Using soap will leave a residual soap film that gets extremely slick when the floor gets wet. Because I’ve always only mopped my floor with ammonia my floor is never slick when wet. I love it and you will too. 😎
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 PM

I have Swiss Trax tiles, looks great after 8 years. I just hit it with the power washer. Had paint in MD and only lasted 4 years. I do real work in my Garage.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
We have a new place in St Catherine. Would love to have the garage floor epoxy coated. Can someone put me in contact with Mr Miller? What does it typically cost?
We will be in St. Catherine too!
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Garage floor

my epoxy only lasted about 4 years, then started chipping and flaking. that is reason I put the tiles down. Didn't want to grind the old epoxy off and repaint.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don’t see the point, it’s garage floor, plain old concrete good enough for me, that way I don’t have all these worries.
Finally, someone with a little common sense.
Congrats for not trying to keep up with the Jones'

Who wants to spend over 2k to have a pretty garage floor.
Sorry, would rather spend that on other things.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Default Epoxy Garage Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We did epoxy from Mr Miller. Looks fantastic. However when car A/C dumps it's water the floor gets quite slippery (even with double++ sharkbite). Also, since it is not porous like the originl unsealed concrete was it takes quite a while to evaporate so it stays wet & slippery. Considered the tile, actually bought a bunch to to try and just didn't like it. Epoxy looks great, Miller does an A+ job you just have to consider the pluses and minuses and what is best for you. Been almost 3 years, no chips dings or dents.
I don't have any experience with tile covering.
We had Mr Miller do our new 3 car garage August 2013 before we moved in and it still looks shiny and clean. I steam mop and wet mop the floor periodically. I keep the dust off by using a leaf blower. I did NOT use the sand / shark treatment - yes it is slippery when wet. It is easy to clean. In retrospect, I would add it when it was laid down.
As far as the car's air conditioner dropping condensation, I've learned to turn off the A/C compressor about a mile or so before I get home. It helps keep the floor dry by dropping the water BEFORE I pull in the garage.
I've tried DYI epoxy myself in my last two garages with poor results. Well worth the paying Mr Miller to do it correctly for me this time.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don’t see the point, it’s garage floor, plain old concrete good enough for me, that way I don’t have all these worries.
I couldn’t have said it better.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:34 PM
Default Dirt Under Tiles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
How do you clean the dirt that accumulates on a garage floor from under the tiles? Usually I have to sweep the garage floor at least once a month, even rinsing it out with a hose every now and then. How does that work with snap-in tiles?
Worrying about dirt under the tiles is really a non-issue. Prior to selling my previous home, I decided to change the color scheme. I remove about an 80 sq ft area. The only thing under the tiles (after 8 years) was dust which I vacuumed with my shop vac.
My current home I used Black Dog Garage Floor. Tremendous guy to work with. Price, design and dedication is unmatched.
Here is my latest.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5F2AA866-6BC4-4A97-B5AB-D69231EEB0DF.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	89405  
Old 05-30-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpta View Post
We had Tru-Grit Coatings LLC. do our garage floor with a POLYASPARTIC FLOOR COATING 2 years ago and it still looks great. it does not seem slippery when wet and has not been damaged by me dropping heavy things while working in garage or while using heavy floor jack. not cheap but highly recommend 863-670-9270
We are going with Tru-Grit Coatings, because it has a lifetime guarantee.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:26 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I paid to put pebble stone in my garage. Holds up well

Tags
tiles, pros, give, compare, systems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.