Complaining About Complaining

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Default Complaining About Complaining

For those who complain about complaining, or consider someone who is complaining as wasting their time, I ask you to consider using another word to describe what is going on - debate.

I know there a quite a few "poster" who are "hash slingers". And, yes, I agree they should be avoided. However, I think a majority of posters are actually trying to start a sane, reasonable discussion on a point that others might not agree with.

When done properly and with civility, it can be a very enjoyable mind exercise. I suspect that quite a few "complainers" are some of our older, house-bound residents who have limited outside contact. They are begging to be heard. They are smart; they watch much news and have opinions about what they see.

Just as a reminder, the ancient form of debate was rhetoric. In Greece and Rome schools were opened where the entire curriculum was on rhetoric. And if you mastered it, stadiums would fill with people to hear you verbally battle an opponent. The most successful rheterotians had statues built in their honor, and became extremely wealthy.

So, I suggest you hone your rhetorical skills and enjoy deflating the egos of "hash-slingers".

Last edited by dddave; 10-14-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling and sentence structure
Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddave View Post

When done properly and with civility, it can be a very enjoyable mind exercise.

Bingo.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Sage

Nah, I don’t want to do that.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Default Complaining about Complaining

Dougb, I want to respect your opinion. But, from your reply I cannot tell where you really stand.

If reading complaints is not your thing (eg: If my wife asked me to go to knitting group with her, I would certain respond, "Nah, not my thing."), If that is the case you are man who knows personal his likes and and dislikes. And I admire you for that..

However, if you are saying that you read and respond to complaints, and your responses are replete with attacks on the poster (eg, "You idiot") ignoring the point being made,I suggest that you join a knitting group.

Last edited by dddave; 10-15-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to enter Dougb's name.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Bingo.
Actually, I love it when people label me a Nazi, a racist, and a homophobe when they can't debate the facts. Doesn't eveyone just love the name calling?

I wish we could have an actual debate on the facts and be civil without the namecalling too - hard to do these days.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
complaining, debate, agree, begging, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.