Do you speak up, or do you ignore?

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Founder
Default Do you speak up, or do you ignore?

I am one of those people who has a hard time NOT saying something when I see a resident allowing a dog to run without a leash. I almost always say, "I see you have no leash for your dog, you are probably not aware that there is a leash law here." Almost always, the people tell me to mind my own business. One guy made a truly sophisticated reply....he said......."grow up." Another guy said, "this dog doesn't need a leash."

Turn signals. The other day, a lady was sitting in the middle of the road in a convertible, with the top down, waiting to do something. No way to tell, since she had no turn signal going. I was walking. I said, "don't forget your turn signal." She said, "It's okay, my turn signal isn't on." HUH?

I guess there are those who would consider me to be a trouble maker, but I think that if everybody remains silent, then it gives consent. I know I can't change everything, but I believe that since th villages has no law enforcement, and no plans for it, we all need to do our part.

What is your position?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Default Re: Do you speak up, or do you ignore?

friendly reminders can help to educate or remind forgetful or temporarily careless residents. those who truly don't care about abiding my community rules may never change. ii appreciate friendly reminders when i've strayed from community rules.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

This inconsideration isn't exclusive just to TV. We have our share in little Delaware too.

A friendly reminder, given with a smile, sometimes is all it takes. Anyone who becomes cruel after friendly advice is given needs to grow up.

Jan, keep up with what you're doing. You're just the type of person I whould like for a neighbor--one who truly cares about their community, not just for themselves, but for all.

:-*
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Founder

Here's an example. This guy walks his dog every day and lets it do it's business in everybody's yard along the way. Here is the dog in the yard of a neighbor who is having some construction work done. This is about the 4th yard the dog desecrated along the way. I said to the guy, "why not use your own yard?" He just gave me a bad look and kept walking. You'll notice that he has no bag in his hand. That little white thing is a ball or something else, but not a plastic bag. The next time, I'll get a close up of his face.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
Here's an example. This guy walks his dog every day and lets it do it's business in everybody's yard along the way. Here is the dog in the yard of a neighbor who is having some construction work done. This is about the 4th yard the dog desecrated along the way. I said to the guy, "why not use your own yard?" He just gave me a bad look and kept walking. You'll notice that he has no bag in his hand. That little white thing is a ball or something else, but not a plastic bag. The next time, I'll get a close up of his face.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Isn't there someone you can report him too :cop:

There must be some kind of rules that don't allow this. Better yet, find out where he lives and let your dog do his business on HIS lawn. See how he likes it!!!

What's the saying: "If you can't beat 'em--join "em"
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D
Isn't there someone you can report him too :cop:

There must be some kind of rules that don't allow this. Better yet, find out where he lives and let your dog do his business on HIS lawn. See how he likes it!!!

What's the saying: "If you can't beat 'em--join "em"
He can be reported to the Deed Restriction office. They have no authority. They will send somebody to his house. That person will apologize to the offender for being there and ask him not to do it again. They will leave and the guy will parade his dog out to poop in somebody else's yard laughing as he goes.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Inconsiderate people just don't care...but maybe "TV Paparazzi" might work...Ha-Ha!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Gold member

I speak up, nicely.
It usually works. Not to say I don't get funny looks and sometimes nasty comments but I find if I speak pleasantly it often gets a better response.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I drive a convertible so speaking is really easy for me and, yes, I do it. Usually with a smile, sometimes not -- depends on my mood and the offense.

As to the photographed dunderhead, maybe it is time to collect his dog's mess and leave it on his doorstep? If this doesn't get the message across, stage two comes to mind -- pick it up, deposit it on his front step, burn it. The smell is soooooo charming!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I am one of those people who has a hard time NOT saying something when I see a resident allowing a dog to run without a leash. I almost always say, "I see you have no leash for your dog, you are probably not aware that there is a leash law here." Almost always, the people tell me to mind my own business. One guy made a truly sophisticated reply....he said......."grow up." Another guy said, "this dog doesn't need a leash."

Turn signals. The other day, a lady was sitting in the middle of the road in a convertible, with the top down, waiting to do something. No way to tell, since she had no turn signal going. I was walking. I said, "don't forget your turn signal." She said, "It's okay, my turn signal isn't on." HUH?

I guess there are those who would consider me to be a trouble maker, but I think that if everybody remains silent, then it gives consent. I know I can't change everything, but I believe that since th villages has no law enforcement, and no plans for it, we all need to do our part.

What is your position?
My position would be to tell this lady to get her head out of her behind but my wife won't let me.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:34 AM

Maybe instead of the TV Deed Restriction PolicePerson we need Charles Bronson from Death Wish or a "TV Vigilante Police" to respond.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Taltarzac

Jan? That is a funny picture. A guy walking his dog near a port-o-potty.

Is the dog marking his territory or going poop in each yard? Usually male dogs just dribble pee a little in each place when they stop when marking their territory. A female dog often goes all in one spot when she squats. Maybe, you should suggest the man dilute the urine where his dog pees which should help prevent the grass from drying up in the places where the urine is concentrated?

"Lawn burn is the result of overfertilization due to an excess of nitrogen, which is found in all pet urine. To eliminate lawn burn, use water to saturate the area where your dog urinates. " http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-dog-urine.htm
Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM

OK, I am just going to say something for humor's sake ... I could never do this. In the old days (do kids still do this ? ), I heard of kids that would put poop in a paper bag at a persons front door, light the bag on fire, and ding-dong ditch. The person would open the door, panic and attempt to stomp the fire out ... and well ... I think you know the rest of the story. *LOL* And again I stress, I never did, nor ever could do this; however, in this situation--it's tempting! ;D What a putz of a guy! Shameful... tsk tsk tsk ...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.