Concrete Work in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Generally, there are 2 choices in reinforcement of building slabs in Florida. Steel mesh, usually 8x8 squares of welded #10 wire, with added 1/2 or 5/8 steel bar at the perimeter, or perimeter bars with fiberglass in the mix (sometimes called fibercrete). Both can be engineered to provide correct support and finished surface. This is really an oversimplification, but the general idea applies.
Thanks Mulligan, that answer my question. I knew the codes here were different than S Fla. due to different conditions, but that explains concrete to my satisfaction.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Gold member

I worked in construction during the Summers when I was still in school. I remember that someone always sampled the concrete coming out of the truck when we poured a slab or any concrete structure. There are different grades of concrete (rated in pounds of pressure (PSI)) that are used according to the architects specifications. I believe it may have been the architectual firm that was sampling the concrete.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Generally, there are 2 choices in reinforcement of building slabs in Florida. Steel mesh, usually 8x8 squares of welded #10 wire, with added 1/2 or 5/8 steel bar at the perimeter, or perimeter bars with fiberglass in the mix (sometimes called fibercrete). Both can be engineered to provide correct support and finished surface. This is really an oversimplification, but the general idea applies.
Do you know if The Villages builders are using either one of these reinforcement methods or none ? Also I noticed that builders pour the slab and immediately begin building on it. Does the concrete need time to cure and dry? If so for how long?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just took a close look and did see re-bar in the footer.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Gold member

Rubicon,

Concrete setting times:

http://powerblanket.com/2008/01/31/t...-setting-time/

and you can add accellerators to speed up the set time:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructu...p/acclerat.htm
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.