Confederate Flag / Political Flag

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2020, 08:38 AM
Default Political and Confederate Flags

I walk all over The Villages and find that all these political flags, stickers, signs, etc. do nothing more than divide rather than unite people. What is the point? I can understand taking a different route to avoid these divisive symbols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So I figured someone else would make the call because it's not my thing to do so but the Confederate Flag being flown over a Political Flag doesn't seem to good to me and upsets me greatly. I looked around the internet and see that the American Flag should be flown at the top. I like that. I don't really care about the Confederate Flag or Political Flag of any of the parties being flown but no American Flag? Not too good to me.

I called Community Watch and they said they have no jurisdiction over this particular issue. My question is who does or if I'm wrong let me know. This has been this way for about 2 weeks that I know of. It may have been there longer but that's when I noticed it. I have been leaving the premises on another route until this gets resolved. It's killing me and I could use a helping hand on who to call. I really don't want to call the Police because they are busy with other things but if I must I will.

What do you think? Just asking for a helping hand. Take it easy. My post is constructive.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 AM

My understanding is that if you have a permitted flag pole, you can fly whatever flags you want however you want. Etiquette is ignored around here in most matters so I'm not surprised it maybe ignored when it comes to flags also.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 024engine View Post
Don't look at it. They can fly whatever they want. If it upsets you that much, move back up north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 024engine View Post
P. S. That is likely not the Confederate flag anyhow. Most people don't even know that the flag you are referring to is most likely th Virginia battle flag. The Confederate flag is the Stars and Bars. Look it up.
I took your advice and looked it up. You got me I was wrong. It was a Miami Dolphin Classic Flag. Ooops!

I'm going to stay constructive here. I and other Northerners are here to stay. If there is any moving to be done it won't be me or them but thanks for your constructive posts.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
On a different issue or conflict and if they were my neighbor I would talk about it with them if I saw them outside. Knock on the door?? Not even a remote chance. I do understand your idea and 20 years ago maybe it would have worked for me but as of today that idea is a no go. I could ask you to go for me but I don't want to be disrespectful as you don't deserve that. Disrespect is what made me post in the first place but it wasn't the disrespect of a person it was the disrespect of The AMERICAN FLAG.

I don't want to stop someone from flying the other flags that are there now but the way I understand it THE AMERICAN FLAG is flown in the top position. My main QUESTION was who do I contact to have this corrected if in fact it is wrong. It seems wrong but I'm looking for help from someone who is in the know and confirmation that the AMERICAN FLAG should be present.

One of the replies I got so far the wildest one by far was was move back north. After reading my original post thats your answer? Are you the person with the flags I'm talking about? I did mention I was looking for guidance and was being constructive. I'm not trying to change anybody's feelings or view about the flags that are there now. What they think about those flags is not my business. The Flag that's missing is our business.

If the answer is that the flag configuration I mentioned is fine I guess I have to accept it. If someone know who to call please let me know.
I guess the 2 questions are:

1) Whenever ANY flags are flown, does it have to include the American flag?, and

2) Are there deed restrictions that prohibit flying political or historically controversial flags? There are restrictions on signs and 6 inch garden gnomes so as not to offend neighbors, I would think this is even more offensive to some

I don't know if this is even reportable or to whom you can report it. Of course there are certain organizations that take even greater offense to the confederate flag, but I doubt you want to stir up that hornet's nest
Old 01-31-2020, 09:17 AM

Folks are offended way to easily in today's world. Just ignore it if you are offended.

I don't think there is a requirement to fly the American flag.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I guess the 2 questions are:

1) Whenever ANY flags are flown, does it have to include the American flag?, and

2) Are there deed restrictions that prohibit flying political or historically controversial flags? There are restrictions on signs and 6 inch garden gnomes so as not to offend neighbors, I would think this is even more offensive to some

I don't know if this is even reportable or to whom you can report it. Of course there are certain organizations that take even greater offense to the confederate flag, but I doubt you want to stir up that hornet's nest
Bingo! I don't really want to stir up anything on any issue or be controversial. I figured that NOTHING could be done here or someone else would have taken care of it already. We are surrounded by so many Veterans and if this bothers me I can hardly imagine how they feel after risking everything for our Country and our Flag.

I think I'm going to give the Flag Store on 441 a call later today and ask the professionals for some guidance.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:20 AM

"I took your advice and looked it up. You got me I was wrong. It was a Miami Dolphin Classic Flag. Ooops! "

A Miami Dolphin flag set you off and triggered some responses by the habitually offended.
Good job!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:32 AM

Flag FYI:

Did you know that all of the "American Flags" on Main Street in Disney (except the big one in the circle in front of the train station that has the daily ceremony) are missing one star and one stripe so that they are not officially "American Flags" and therefore don't have to be taken down every evening?

I thought that was an interesting flag tidbit.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Big question-----I wonder if that is a "permitted" flag pole? No permit, remove it.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-31-2020, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochellepfaff View Post
It is proper etiquette to fly the American flag above other flags. Even on private property. The only time the American flag is not flown higher than other flags, is when it is with flags of other countries. Then they should all be the same height. I would stop and politely ask the home owner to reverse them. He might not know that he has them backwards.
OP says there is no American flag at all.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:14 AM

Imho, the Confederate flag should be banned. When I see someone flying it, I cringe, think they are redneck and avoid them. I consider them low life and uneducated. Now, this may or may not be true of everyone, so dont go jumping down my throat, this is how I
FEEL Maybe a new flag could be made the represents the grievance southern states had but we all know slavery was the main issue, dont go sugar coating it.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:34 AM

LEAVE it alone No one would even know if you had not brought it to nows everyones attention...
whats next statues....
Old 01-31-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

The answer is no - the American flag is not required to be flown on flagpoles. The rule is - IF you include the American flag on your flagpole, THEN it must be flown on top of any other flags on that flagpole.

You can fly a smiley face flag with the words "Have a Nice Day" on it, and not have to top it with the American flag. You can put the Virginia battle flag (the flag in question since - as someone else pointed out - it is NOT "the" confederate flag) on top of a picture of Mitt Romney kissing Miss Piggy, and not top it with the American flag.

But IF you put the American flag on that flagpole with Mitt and the VA battle flag, the American flag has to be closest to the finial on top.

All flags on the flagpole are optional. It's only the order they need to be in, WHEN they are included, that matters.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILEYWORLD View Post
LEAVE it alone No one would even know if you had not brought it to nows everyones attention...
whats next statues....
Really???? That's your approach to issues that may be controversial or offend at least some of the people in our open and free democracy???? Sweep it under the rug????

How would that have worked out for Women's suffrage? Segregation? Civil rights? Watergate?

The OP has every right to be offended, every right to share the origin of his consternation, and we all have the right to debate it. It's dictatorships and totalitarian societies that cover up and ignore such incidents.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

All flags on the flagpole are optional. It's only the order they need to be in, WHEN they are included, that matters.

Probably what matters even more (in the scheme of things) is:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL30243.pdf

The United States Flag: Federal Law Relating to Display and Associated Questions
John R. Luckey Legislative Attorney

Nature of Codification of Customs and Rules
The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as suggested. Cases which have construed the former 36 U.S.C. § 17522 have concluded that the Flag Code does not proscribe conduct, but is merely declaratory and advisory.23
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, confederate, flown, political, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.