Confederate Flag / Political Flag

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2020, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So I figured someone else would make the call because it's not my thing to do so but the Confederate Flag being flown over a Political Flag doesn't seem to good to me and upsets me greatly. I looked around the internet and see that the American Flag should be flown at the top. I like that. I don't really care about the Confederate Flag or Political Flag of any of the parties being flown but no American Flag? Not too good to me.

I called Community Watch and they said they have no jurisdiction over this particular issue. My question is who does or if I'm wrong let me know. This has been this way for about 2 weeks that I know of. It may have been there longer but that's when I noticed it. I have been leaving the premises on another route until this gets resolved. It's killing me and I could use a helping hand on who to call. I really don't want to call the Police because they are busy with other things but if I must I will.

What do you think? Just asking for a helping hand. Take it easy. My post is constructive.
I guess I never gave it much thought about any flag flown with the American flag. I guess I always thought people that flew the Confederate flag were just proud of the south. I wouldn't bother TV about it because I can tell you they probably won't do anything because they're not going to start any problems. If I were you & it bothers you just keep what your doing now & just avoid going by this home. To me it's just a symbol to show how much these people love the south!
Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Pets with fake service vest Kinda the same thing
Old 01-31-2020, 11:56 AM
Default The confederate flag is a symbol Iftreason

The Us govt won the war against treason

In Germany you cannot fly the Nazi glad

The person flying this flag shows the ignorance they have with US history

If they are trying to prove a point,
The point is lost
It turns people off

And if they are trying to promote a candidate for public office,
This treason flag
Turns people off to that candidate

So it is a
Loose/loose for that persons point of view

???? That's your approach to issues that may be controversial or offend at least some of the people in our open and free democracy???? Sweep it under the rug????

How would that have worked out for Women's suffrage? Segregation? Civil rights? Watergate?

The OP has every right to be offended, every right to share the origin of his consternation, and we all have the right to debate it. It's dictatorships and totalitarian societies that cover up and ignore such incidents.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
"I took your advice and looked it up. You got me I was wrong. It was a Miami Dolphin Classic Flag. Ooops! "

A Miami Dolphin flag set you off and triggered some responses by the habitually offended.
Good job!
I know Nucky and his lovely wife and I think he was being witty. I know his head is on straight and when he says something I pay attention. Very rarely we see things differently but Nucky is a good person with sane views. He has changed my mind on issues. Good folks, the Nuckys.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So I figured someone else would make the call because it's not my thing to do so but the Confederate Flag being flown over a Political Flag doesn't seem to good to me and upsets me greatly. I looked around the internet and see that the American Flag should be flown at the top. I like that. I don't really care about the Confederate Flag or Political Flag of any of the parties being flown but no American Flag? Not too good to me.

I called Community Watch and they said they have no jurisdiction over this particular issue. My question is who does or if I'm wrong let me know. This has been this way for about 2 weeks that I know of. It may have been there longer but that's when I noticed it. I have been leaving the premises on another route until this gets resolved. It's killing me and I could use a helping hand on who to call. I really don't want to call the Police because they are busy with other things but if I must I will.

What do you think? Just asking for a helping hand. Take it easy. My post is constructive.
"Upsets me greatly"....."It's killing me"...Personally I don't let other peoples opinions, flags, etc., bother me. It's simply not worth it. If it's not breaking any laws, just let it go. For me, it's God, family and friends, first. Nothing else is nearly as important. As you say in your last sentence, "Take it easy".
Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Bingo! I don't really want to stir up anything on any issue or be controversial. I figured that NOTHING could be done here or someone else would have taken care of it already. We are surrounded by so many Veterans and if this bothers me I can hardly imagine how they feel after risking everything for our Country and our Flag.

I think I'm going to give the Flag Store on 441 a call later today and ask the professionals for some guidance.
Seems kinda like you did.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My request was originally simple. Does anyone know who would handle this if indeed it is wrong? I did not have the answers to those questions. I still don't. The person who would handle my question at the Flag Store on 441 will be available tomorrow. I will certainly call

How someone could draw a conclusion on my Political Affiliation from my posts makes that person clearly Carnac The Magnificent. I truly don't care what the person flying those two flags thinks. It's not my business and I have no need to teach or school them in anyway or try to change their mind. My comment about the Miami Dolphin Flag being mistaken for a Confederate Flag was to illustrate that possibly I do realize the difference and I couldn't believe that questioning that could be possible. Of course I know or I wouldn't have named it a Confederate Flag in the first place.

Well here's the good news. Don't have any idea if it's a coincidence or because of our give and take here today but both flags have been taken down. Maybe they are out getting bigger ones? I never did and never would reveal the address where these flags were on our Forum and still after all the conversation we've had today we still have no verifiable proof of what the real rule is about the flags YET. This is one of the times documentation and a source would be great.

In any event like the kids say, it's all good. I really got a kick out of move back north if you don't like it. That's the ultimate spin on someone who started a thread looking for information.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Confused by your OP. WAS THERE an American Flag as well as the other 2 (for a total of 3)? If there was you have something to complain about (flag display protocol despite the fact there is no one to complain to who would do anything). If there was no American flag on the pole (for a total of 2 flags) there was nothing to disrespect other than maybe the person's political opinions for which there is the First Amendment and def nothing you can do.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:43 PM
Lightbulb About flags

What IS a flag, anyway? It is a piece of material (if on a pole) that can show any number of "feelings" the flyer has. Mostly, flags are used to identify pride in someone (Che Guevara, for example), or in something (Manchester United soccer).
From what I know, there are certain "types" of flags, such as team flags, corporate flags, school flags, culture flags, state/country flags, pirate flags, ideology flags and the like. Flags are symbolic, decorative, advertising, preachy, and so on.

As far as this thread: The flyer of the flag in question "appears" to want others to know where their fealty/heart is. That's, I think, akin to those who put bumper stickers on their cars. Some are funny, others are obnoxious, some don't make sense, some are preachy, some give away size of family. Still, I think telling someone they should move back to where they came from (if, like Nucky, they are POd by some flag) that that person is NOT among like-minded folks, well, the intimation is that there is NO PLACE in TV for "contrary" people. I wouldn't tell someone they are not wanted if they believe x, y, or z about anything 'cause I don't feel it's my place (if it's ANYBODY'S place) to tell another person that. I'm not their parent, their local cop, their judge. (Also, I don't want to get punched in the nose.)

I suggest we leave flag waving alone.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
My understanding is that if you have a permitted flag pole, you can fly whatever flags you want however you want. Etiquette is ignored around here in most matters so I'm not surprised it maybe ignored when it comes to flags also.

If another flag is on the pole with the American flag the American flag has to be on top. Now if you are in another country that country flag will be on top and the American flag below it. BS flags can be flown however the want as long as the American flag not on the pole. if it is it will be at the top.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

We are in the south, going to see few confederate flags around mostly on private property or stuck in bed of pickup truck. Just like we see flags for Canada 🇨🇦 and Mexico and other countries and 99.999% fly the flags properly with the American flag on top and the other flag on bottom. I personally don’t care 🤷*♀️ what other people do on private property. I have no control or say so. We are still free country.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
I took your advice and looked it up. You got me I was wrong. It was a Miami Dolphin Classic Flag. Ooops!

I'm going to stay constructive here. I and other Northerners are here to stay. If there is any moving to be done it won't be me or them but thanks for your constructive posts.
See what you started?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Can we all move on to dog poop?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 PM

A flag pole is just that, a pole. IF an American flag is flown, then YES, etiquette states it is flown at top. IF there is no American flag, then it is a pole to display whatever you wish. I see things that I wouldn’t want on my yard, but then again, it’s not my yard. I’d hate to have someone report me for my red shutters, because it offends them as Communist, or whatever they don’t like. Relax, enjoy what little time most of us have left in this great place we call home, and don’t let things get to you. We sometimes let something eat at us and we miss out on the good times. My humble advise, leave it go and look away. They might have a reason ( a distant family relative died in a battle and it is their way of honoring them) . We never know the reason UNLESS we ask.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:12 PM
Default Confederate Flag

Nucky: Where is this Confederate Flag? What community and please be specific. I have a neighbor who flies the Confederate Flag and understand his feelings! In addition, if the Confederate Flag disturbs you, I would politely, suggest you focus on more serious issues within our community.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, confederate, flown, political, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.