Confederate Flag / Political Flag

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
As I understand this complex thread, no American flag was on the flag pole in question. There was a flag on top that was maybe a confederate flag or a team flag, but some flag that the OP thought was a confederate flag. And below that some political flag. Left, right, not stated that I saw.

I had a great great grandfather and a great grandfather who fought in the civil war for the North. So not a fan of the confederate flag.

However they have a first amendment right to fly both those flags as long as no American flag is involved or if it was, the American flag is above the other two. A lot of really good people died to give them that right. So if it offends you to bad. We have taken "the politically correct" thing to do or say to the point of being absurd. It's their flag, their flag pole, and from what I can read here they have not dishonored the American flag so drop it.
However they have a first amendment right to fly both those flags as long as no American flag is involved or if it was, the American flag is above the other two.

This is the answer. Simple. It is the first time I've ever seen two flags on a 30 foot Flag Pole and The American Flag wasn't one of them and at the top.

I agree the thread did get complicated because I answered posts by others that have been deleted. Simple question, simple answer. Thank You. I believe you but don't really like the answer but Thank You. It is what it is. I've been told Google is my friend but couldn't find the info you supplied online.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So I figured someone else would make the call because it's not my thing to do so but the Confederate Flag being flown over a Political Flag doesn't seem to good to me and upsets me greatly. I looked around the internet and see that the American Flag should be flown at the top. I like that. I don't really care about the Confederate Flag or Political Flag of any of the parties being flown but no American Flag? Not too good to me.

I called Community Watch and they said they have no jurisdiction over this particular issue. My question is who does or if I'm wrong let me know. This has been this way for about 2 weeks that I know of. It may have been there longer but that's when I noticed it. I have been leaving the premises on another route until this gets resolved. It's killing me and I could use a helping hand on who to call. I really don't want to call the Police because they are busy with other things but if I must I will.

What do you think? Just asking for a helping hand. Take it easy. My post is constructive.
Most of the discussion seemed to be triggered by the above statement.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 AM

As I understand your post you are questioning if the American flag should be flown?? Just because it is a flagpole does not dictate a US flag having to be flown!! In respect to the confederate flag you should research what flag is being flown and ascertain it is not a state flag as many resemble the confederate stars and bars. Finally if a confederate flag or state flag is flown in conjunction with a political flag there is absolutely no precedent which should be on top. I feel your problem is either with the confederate flag or the "political flag" and most likely the political flag.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

So my take after reading five pages is that the rules in the villages to not speak to whatever you fly on a flagpole. You can fly an American flag, or not. Or fly the flag of a nation which attacked the US and caused more deaths than in any other war in our history, or not. You could fly a Nazi flag because your great grandfather fought for the Reich and you may not agree with all the Reich's policies but understand that grandfather was being a patriot to his culture. You could fly the Soviet hammer and sickle flag or the flag of PLO. And because it is on a flagpole there are no regulations.

And I guess this is the loophole where you can fly a "Home for sale" flag up there as big as a flag can get, and because we don't regulate flag content. Freedom of speech and protecting the second amendment requires that "well regulated" mean not regulated.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Thumbs down What can I say !!!!

After reading this thread, I see the War may NOT be OVER for some....
Old 02-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If we try, we can make something ugly out of almost everything.

…..Mother Bedelia.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Incorrect.....Many true, native, Southerner's like me had distant relatives from the early and mid 1800's who died in the "War of Northern Aggression". Although I do not fly the Confederate Battle Flag I still admire the fact that my family history was one of coming here from Ireland and Scotland, assuming land under a government grant program, raising a family, farming and wanting to be left alone. The person flying that flag may be more educated than you and just is showing their pride in being a Southerner! Today's world is one of attempting to change history. We cannot.
OH SO TRUE (and thank you for stating the NOT SO OBVIOUS)! There is quite a bit more to the civil war and the causes which resulted in more Americans killed than in all other wars combined. The victors write the history books, however, and have taught that the war was fought over slavery (period). States Rights and the right to secession of any state from the union is never broached in the history books. The 10th Amendment is unfamiliar territory to most folks as a result of public schooling but many are quick to lecture others on their understanding of history. A wonderful book written on this very subject is "Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men" by Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, which elucidates many of these very issues. And, NO, I am not a southerner - was born and have always lived in the north but I have a reasonably clear understanding of "true" history in many areas that have piqued my interest. The sources, of course, must be pursued from other than indoctrinating public schooling. All best left for another topic, I suppose … just sayin'
Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 024engine View Post
P. S. That is likely not the Confederate flag anyhow. Most people don't even know that the flag you are referring to is most likely th Virginia battle flag. The Confederate flag is the Stars and Bars. Look it up.
I looked it up. The Stars and Bars was the first Confederate Flag beginning 1861 but was replaced in 1863 by the Stainless Banner, and again in 1865 by the Blood Stained Banner. Both of the latter have the design that today is often called the “Confederate Flag” in the upper left corner on a field of white. The Blood Stained version added a blood red vertical bar on the far right. And that upper left design was also adopted as the North Virginia Battle Flag (more square, not rectangular). Why that upper left design is reproduced as an entire rectangular flag and sold as the Confederate Flag, I do not know.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:26 AM
TOTV Moderator

Again, the topic is flag etiquette/rules in The Villages.

If you want to have a non-political discussion about the Civil War, feel free to start a new thread.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Per the mod's suggestion (click here)

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-01-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

The part of this whole discussion that I find amazing (for The Villages), is that flags on a flagpole are not covered in the deed restrictions. After all, you can't put a 6 inch garden gnome in your landscaping since it is a magical pagan creature and could offend those that are devout believers in a different religion. Signs have to be small and theoretically only displayed in a window. Most deed restrictions are designed to enhance aesthetics and as to not offend others. Imho, a Nazi flag, and ISIS flag or a confederate flag is far more offensive to many more people than a garden gnome or a pair of brass herons, yet there is no deed restriction. If a deed restriction regarding flags would be a first amendment violation, then so would a ban on pink flamingos on a lawn. Just sayin'
Old 02-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
OH SO TRUE (and thank you for stating the NOT SO OBVIOUS)! There is quite a bit more to the civil war and the causes which resulted in more Americans killed than in all other wars combined. The victors write the history books, however, and have taught that the war was fought over slavery (period). States Rights and the right to secession of any state from the union is never broached in the history books. The 10th Amendment is unfamiliar territory to most folks as a result of public schooling but many are quick to lecture others on their understanding of history. A wonderful book written on this very subject is "Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men" by Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, which elucidates many of these very issues. And, NO, I am not a southerner - was born and have always lived in the north but I have a reasonably clear understanding of "true" history in many areas that have piqued my interest. The sources, of course, must be pursued from other than indoctrinating public schooling. All best left for another topic, I suppose … just sayin'
Thank you
Steve
Old 02-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The part of this whole discussion that I find amazing (for The Villages), is that flags on a flagpole are not covered in the deed restrictions. After all, you can't put a 6 inch garden gnome in your landscaping since it is a magical pagan creature and could offend those that are devout believers in a different religion. Signs have to be small and theoretically only displayed in a window. Most deed restrictions are designed to enhance aesthetics and as to not offend others. Imho, a Nazi flag, and ISIS flag or a confederate flag is far more offensive to many more people than a garden gnome or a pair of brass herons, yet there is no deed restriction. If a deed restriction regarding flags would be a first amendment violation, then so would a ban on pink flamingos on a lawn. Just sayin'
While it pains me to say this...I agree.

On a positive note...you're making good progress.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While it pains me to say this...I agree.

On a positive note...you're making good progress.

So are you
Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't think "garden gnomes" and flamingos and crosses and stars of David and other "lawn stuff" are "banned" for religious reason but only to keep them from multiplying like rabbits ending up as 150 "garden gnomes" and flamingos and other stuff on one person's lawn turning our neighborhoods into what looks like a novelty shop.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, confederate, flown, political, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.