Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
Great photo, thanks!
Does anyone know why they built all of those mounds in there?
Old 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Does anyone know why they built all of those mounds in there?
The dirt is being moved to a) build the retention ponds and b) the it is back fill for the lots and landscaping that will soon being going in in this location. Normally they would move it off-site then move it back when they need it (like the dirt at 301/Turnpike SE corner) but they is a relatively small area so they're probably just keeping it on site and moving it as they need it.

They have to remove so much to ensure there is no foreign matter below the homes (peat field, piles of logs/trees, etc.) then move it back to establish a firm topsoil layer before building. This extensive work is why we hear of very few foundation cracking issues here in The Villages. My previous home in Haines City developed 1/2 in cracks in the slab the full length of the house within 3 years of construction that you could feel in the carpet due to settling, all my neighbors had the same problems. When I had tile put down after 4 years here there were only 2 hairline cracks about 6 ft long in the foundation, very little settling happens here.

The mounds will be gone in a month or two and replaced by 5 or 6 sets of villas and a designer neighborhood along the golf course frontage .
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

i'm always surprised @ how fast things go up here. last winter our neighborhood was a construction zone, 2day all the homes are sold! now we watch as the shopping plaza goes up, saw them leveling out the foundations over the wknd. i'd say they could if they wanted to. the huge bridge up now on 44 was done overnite while we all slept
Old 12-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Just a small add to Don's comment, they are also using an isolation barrier under tile minimize risk of cracking. Just one example of the attention to detail for new construction quality.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Picture taken today from the Cub looking to the west of the Fenney gate towards 301
Dropbox - IMG_2460.JPG - Simplify your life
Here the same picture with the street layout in the upper right. You can see how the digging and the streets align.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	82068  
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-02-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I think it’s easier to look at the Villages north of 44, and those Villages south of 44 not as one community, but as sister communities. They do have lots in common, and residents of one can access amenities in the other, but they aren’t catering to the same types of seniors. The north is the golf cart communities, with the MMPs meant for golf carts and easily accessible squares and commercial areas with markets and health care and restaurants. Folks that prefer that section often embrace the golf cart only mentality, leaving their cars in the garage while using their carts for all shopping, entertainment, and other transportation needs.

The south is more of a walking/running/biking community with miles of trails for those pursuits. People choosing the south are enjoying the quiet of nature with less sounds of gas golf carts. They are not adverse to driving for shopping or restaurants, as they probably would drive even if those things were within golf cart reach.

Both communities have tons of recreation opportunities. The developer is consistently getting the neighborhood recreation centers open as people move to the area. I think some of the most beautiful executive courses are in the south.

I think connectivity will be a bonus for both sides, but I think very few bought homes in the south thinking they were getting a golf cart community. Nature is the keystone of the south Villages.

Just wait................the South will rise, there will be a Civil War.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If we are patient, we will see the North and the South combined.

But.

There still will be a lot of old people.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage

I believe you mean the war of northern aggression ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Just wait................the South will rise, there will be a Civil War.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Here the same picture with the street layout in the upper right. You can see how the digging and the streets align.
Don - any chance we are going to get some drone footage down there soon? I am having total withdrawal - it has been like a month without your awesome videos!
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 AM

I know a berm was built along the turnpike in the Linden and Monarch Grove areas to reduce turnpike noise. Does anyone have an idea as to why a berm wasn't installed along the turnpike in Marsh Bend and up through to De Luna? Some of the homes are just as close to the turnpike in Marsh Bend (and soon De Luna) as they are in Linden and Monarch Grove.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Ive thought about that as well, but when I drive down the turnpike and look over at the Marsh Bend area, its like a long vista billboard for the sales office, its really something to see as you roll by.
Possibly they put a berm in after Marsh Bend and Deluna are at capacity?
Closed Thread

Tags
path, villages, completed, connectivity, opinion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.