Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Question Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

I have a 2 + Golf cart garage about 600 Sq ft, block construction with insulated garage doors. I m considering adding a window AC unit to cool it infrequently ( Estimate usage about 1 or 2 hrs max, up to 3xs a week and I'm sure several weeks where I don't use it at all ). A Mini Split is way to expensive for my intended use and not easy to add since I only have a single window in the garage. A portable unit, from what I've read, is not very efficient. I've asked the company who installed the main AC unit in the house if they could vent into the garage and they said they wouldn't do it, perhaps check with a private contractor. That leaves me thinking a window AC unit would fit my situation. BTW the power outlet is not far away from the window.

I'm looking for opinions from someone who has installed one or others who have considered a garage window AC unit or looked into it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Have looked into a mini split to cool our garage. Will be making a decision this week.
Looking at a 2 -2.5 ton unit to lower the temps in there. We already have insulation above the garage and insulated doors. No windows in the garage for window unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage

You may wish to check your deed restrictions as window AC units may not be allowed. If they are not allowed and you install one then you should be prepared for someone to file a complaint with Community Standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
I have a 2 + Golf cart garage about 600 Sq ft, block construction with insulated garage doors. I m considering adding a window AC unit to cool it infrequently ( Estimate usage about 1 or 2 hrs max, up to 3xs a week and I'm sure several weeks where I don't use it at all ). A Mini Split is way to expensive for my intended use and not easy to add since I only have a single window in the garage. A portable unit, from what I've read, is not very efficient. I've asked the company who installed the main AC unit in the house if they could vent into the garage and they said they wouldn't do it, perhaps check with a private contractor. That leaves me thinking a window AC unit would fit my situation. BTW the power outlet is not far away from the window.

I'm looking for opinions from someone who has installed one or others who have considered a garage window AC unit or looked into it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

A window unit capable of cooling your garage would require a 220 volt outlet.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,239 Posts

Not allowed in our CDD, as noted above check your deed restrictions.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

What you could do instead of a window unit (since as far as I can tell they aren't allowed on any deed restrictions in any part of the villages), is get a portable AC unit. You'd still have to vent it out the window, but the restrictions that I've seen don't forbid that.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage

If anyone is putting a mini-split in their house, I would suggest getting a multiport unit-this way you can a/c or heat both your lanai & garage
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Window AC Units not allowed

THanks for the responses. I checked with The Villages Community Standards and >>> No Window AC units allowed anywhere in the villages.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
THanks for the responses. I checked with The Villages Community Standards and >>> No Window AC units allowed anywhere in the villages.
Definitely look into a portable unit and an industrial fan that rises on its own stand.

I agree it's insane that people can have these huge awesome garages, with the marketing reminding everyone that they could use it for storage, workshops, extra refrigerators, with laundry facility hookups (and machines) and you can't breathe when you open the door.

Imagine how much energy an extra refrigerator/freezer would use up, if it had to freeze things in a room that is usually well over 90 degrees for most of the summer, and parts of the rest of the year.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Sage

The only time a window should be able to be used is during an emergency, where a small genset is used for power
Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Definitely look into a portable unit and an industrial fan that rises on its own stand.

I agree it's insane that people can have these huge awesome garages, with the marketing reminding everyone that they could use it for storage, workshops, extra refrigerators, with laundry facility hookups (and machines) and you can't breathe when you open the door.

Imagine how much energy an extra refrigerator/freezer would use up, if it had to freeze things in a room that is usually well over 90 degrees for most of the summer, and parts of the rest of the year.
Imagine how much energy you would use up cooling a garage so your extra refrigerator/freezer doesn't use up so much energy.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Based on our refrigerator specs and the cost of electricity, the typical costs are $5 per month. It is probably a bit higher in the summer because of longer runtimes. It is a small percentage of our electric bill and we find the extra refrig to be very handy. Refrigerators are extremely efficient appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,239 Posts

OP, I remember seeing a house in TV that had a "portable" unit, that was setup with a flexduct that went to the attic, as I recall the owner did this for security reasons. Look around, you may find some other options other than window A/C.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

After running a portable AC in the garage all day your better half comes home and opens the door, back to square one.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Don't even bother with the Free Standing Units that vent out of a window. They are an enormous waste of money and will not help in your situation one bit. There was one that came with my house on the lanai. A total waste.

A Mini Split is probably the only legit shot you have.

I just test fitted a window unit. 10,000 BTU'S. It worked fine but looks like a sore thumb. It's for an emergency strictly.

Just my opinion. Best to do whatever you are going to do with a permit and approval instead of having to fix it when you go to sell. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, unit, garage, installed, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.