Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Definitely look into a portable unit and an industrial fan that rises on its own stand.

I agree it's insane that people can have these huge awesome garages, with the marketing reminding everyone that they could use it for storage, workshops, extra refrigerators, with laundry facility hookups (and machines) and you can't breathe when you open the door.

Imagine how much energy an extra refrigerator/freezer would use up, if it had to freeze things in a room that is usually well over 90 degrees for most of the summer, and parts of the rest of the year.
Imagine how much energy you would use up cooling a garage so your extra refrigerator/freezer doesn't use up so much energy.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

Based on our refrigerator specs and the cost of electricity, the typical costs are $5 per month. It is probably a bit higher in the summer because of longer runtimes. It is a small percentage of our electric bill and we find the extra refrig to be very handy. Refrigerators are extremely efficient appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Imagine how much energy an extra refrigerator/freezer would use up, if it had to freeze things in a room that is usually well over 90 degrees for most of the summer, and parts of the rest of the year.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage

OP, I remember seeing a house in TV that had a "portable" unit, that was setup with a flexduct that went to the attic, as I recall the owner did this for security reasons. Look around, you may find some other options other than window A/C.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

After running a portable AC in the garage all day your better half comes home and opens the door, back to square one.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage

Don't even bother with the Free Standing Units that vent out of a window. They are an enormous waste of money and will not help in your situation one bit. There was one that came with my house on the lanai. A total waste.

A Mini Split is probably the only legit shot you have.

I just test fitted a window unit. 10,000 BTU'S. It worked fine but looks like a sore thumb. It's for an emergency strictly.

Just my opinion. Best to do whatever you are going to do with a permit and approval instead of having to fix it when you go to sell. Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Gold member

Good point about the fridge/freezer cost. I still found it unbearable having to do the laundry in those garages when we've rented or done the Lifestyle visit. Our new home doesn't have a garage, just a carport and the laundry is in a shed attached to the house. It's a lot less horrible doing the laundry in there, but it's still pretty rough.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 AM

You might consider a unit like they put in motels that are near the floor and vent outdoors. Not strictly a window unit, but a lot less expensive than a split unit.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage

check to see if you can put a casement unit high in the garage, if its low it can interfere when parking a vehicle
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
check to see if you can put a casement unit high in the garage, if its low it can interfere when parking a vehicle
Also check with building codes, if you get too high or too wide you may interfere with the roof support.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

img_0689-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Don't even bother with the Free Standing Units that vent out of a window. They are an enormous waste of money and will not help in your situation one bit. There was one that came with my house on the lanai. A total waste.

A Mini Split is probably the only legit shot you have.

I just test fitted a window unit. 10,000 BTU'S. It worked fine but looks like a sore thumb. It's for an emergency strictly.

Just my opinion. Best to do whatever you are going to do with a permit and approval instead of having to fix it when you go to sell. Good Luck.
We have one in our glass enclosed Lanai and it works great but doubt it will help much with a garage.

Tags
window, unit, garage, installed, check