Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Good point about the fridge/freezer cost. I still found it unbearable having to do the laundry in those garages when we've rented or done the Lifestyle visit. Our new home doesn't have a garage, just a carport and the laundry is in a shed attached to the house. It's a lot less horrible doing the laundry in there, but it's still pretty rough.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

You might consider a unit like they put in motels that are near the floor and vent outdoors. Not strictly a window unit, but a lot less expensive than a split unit.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage

check to see if you can put a casement unit high in the garage, if its low it can interfere when parking a vehicle
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
check to see if you can put a casement unit high in the garage, if its low it can interfere when parking a vehicle
Also check with building codes, if you get too high or too wide you may interfere with the roof support.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

img_0689-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Don't even bother with the Free Standing Units that vent out of a window. They are an enormous waste of money and will not help in your situation one bit. There was one that came with my house on the lanai. A total waste.

A Mini Split is probably the only legit shot you have.

I just test fitted a window unit. 10,000 BTU'S. It worked fine but looks like a sore thumb. It's for an emergency strictly.

Just my opinion. Best to do whatever you are going to do with a permit and approval instead of having to fix it when you go to sell. Good Luck.
We have one in our glass enclosed Lanai and it works great but doubt it will help much with a garage.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Portable Ac unit in garage didn't work

DEcided to try a portable AC unit venting out the window with flex hose. The garage is insulated and so is the garage door.
Bottom line I'm returning it - it just didn't cool the garage more than a degree or two even with a powerful aux fan. Tested opening the attic steps a but to help and keeping the kitchen door open with a fan blowing the house ac into the garage. It was the largest portable ac unit you can get. BTW opening the garage door and blowing the house air into the garage did as much or more than the portable ac unit.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

A lesson learned.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Installed a 2.5 ton dehumidification/mini split unit last week. Total game changer for being able to work on the garage with the door closed.

Very pleased with the results. County signed off on the install last Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeg180 View Post
Installed a 2.5 ton dehumidification/mini split unit last week. Total game changer for being able to work on the garage with the door closed.

Very pleased with the results. County signed off on the install last Friday.

Is that an inside installation, or...? Just wondering if anything is in the window or has some other feature needing ARC approval.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Is that an inside installation, or...? Just wondering if anything is in the window or has some other feature needing ARC approval.
It is two separate units. One is an outside unit like the one you already have for the house but smaller. The other unit goes inside on a wall and blows out the cold air. The two units are connected to each other by tubing.

So nothing in a window. You do need a permit. If used on for a garage or a lanai it technically is not an air conditioner, it is considered a dehumidifier but the effect is the same. Building codes here do not allow airconditioners in garages or lanais.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

If you mount anything outside, you better check with Community Standards first.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

I was told this didn’t require ARC approval. It is an inside unit with a line set to an outside unit.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
"I was told", that always works.
Well then it will be my issue to be worried about wont it. It doesn't affect you or your house so just move on.

The county approved it and there are hundreds of mini split units in operation throughout TV. I am not encroaching on my neighbor and they are considering a unit as well when they enclose their Lanai. My other neighbor is also considering a unit for their house as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeg180 View Post
Well then it will be my issue to be worried about wont it. It doesn't affect you or your house so just move on.

The county approved it and there are hundreds of mini split units in operation throughout TV. I am not encroaching on my neighbor and they are considering a unit as well when they enclose their Lanai. My other neighbor is also considering a unit for their house as well.
Look. Some of us are trying to help you avoid trouble. No need to get snippy.

Anything on the outside of your house will need to be approved. You don't get to use your own judgement.

Last time I try to help. Good luck, to you and your neighbors.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
After running a portable AC in the garage all day your better half comes home and opens the door, back to square one.
Who spends all day in garage. How bout portable swap cooler or big fan?
Closed Thread

Tags
window, unit, garage, installed, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.