Considering a window AC unit in the Garage?

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Sage

Yes, you are correct, you don't need ARC approval for a mini-split (outside condensing unit). Been there, done that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeg180 View Post
I was told this didn’t require ARC approval. It is an inside unit with a line set to an outside unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Don't even bother with the Free Standing Units that vent out of a window. They are an enormous waste of money and will not help in your situation one bit. There was one that came with my house on the lanai. A total waste.

A Mini Split is probably the only legit shot you have.

I just test fitted a window unit. 10,000 BTU'S. It worked fine but looks like a sore thumb. It's for an emergency strictly.

Just my opinion. Best to do whatever you are going to do with a permit and approval instead of having to fix it when you go to sell. Good Luck.
Your standing unit might have been defective. I have one in our glass enclosed lanai with no sun shades and it keeps it 8 degrees cooler than the outside air and it also dehumidifies so mid-day 80 dry degrees out there is just fine for this time of year, mornings and evenings it keeps it in the low to mid 70's. It has a built in thermostat and when the set temperature is reached it can be put into quiet mode, also has a remote. I had to build an exhaust panel that is portable and fits in a sliding door, total cost for the unit and everything else was around $400 which is a huge savings over a Mini-split and serves our purpose well.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, unit, garage, installed, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.