Construction Quality of our Homes in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Default Construction Quality of our Homes in the Villages

I really am not trying to start something here but when I purchased a home in the Villages I asked the question that I thought made sense but really did not get a very good answer.

A development in Mount Dora stresses that all their homes are Energy Star Homes meeting strict standards in both Construction and Landscaping.

My question to the Villages was are their(the Villages homes) Energy Star Homes? I was told that Energy Star is a Program and the Villages does not follow that program but have strict Energy Guidelines.
So my Question to you is......Do you feel your home is a well constructed energy efficient home AND what would you do to improve your home's construction or energy efficiency.
Did your improvement result in any Dollar savings.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts
Default Re: Construction Quality of our Homes in the Villages

*ears perked, good question*
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 AM

I don't live in the Villages yet, but do live in Florida and I know the Progress Energy and Florida Power will come out and do a free energy check - check insulation, duct work, etc.
They even paid 1/2 of the duct work test for leakage, and then paid $125 or $150 towards having additional insulation blown in the attic. We were impressed and happy with their service. I think you can also take a rebate on the improvements on income tax of 10% or something like that.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Gold member

A good question.

"A development in Mount Dora stresses that all their homes are Energy Star Homes meeting strict standards in both Construction and Landscaping."

What are the guidelines they have to meet to be an Energy Star Home?

What are the Energy Guidelines for the Village homes?

We own a home that was built in early 2004. How would I find out this information?

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Energy Star Standards

I can't speak for the enegy efficiency of new TV homes, but here is the Energy Star website that provides the criteria for new Energy Star certified homes...

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...es.nh_features

What is the formal, official name of the builder or builders of new homes in TV? With that info., we could look them up on the Energy Star web site.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Energy Star Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191
There are a number of building contractors who build in TV. While reading the POA Bulletin today, I noticed about two or three of the contractors' names. You may want to look see. barb1191
I don't have access to the POA Bulletin. Can you post some names on here? I am interested in the builders of the wood frame Courtyard Villas.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Thank you gfmucci for the Energy star Link.
Basically To earn the ENERGY STAR, a home must meet guidelines for energy efficiency set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. These homes are at least 15% more energy efficient than homes built to the 2004 International Residential Code (IRC), and include additional energy-saving features that typically make them 20–30% more efficient than standard homes.

More detailed info is found at that link

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...es.nh_features

I have a feeling that the homes in the Villages do not meet all the standards to be Energy Star because the Villages used Builders grade equipment furnaces water heaters refrig dishwashers low efficient windows etc. This is not a dig on the Villages just what a builder does to increase profits.

So my Question to you is......Do you feel your home is a well constructed energy efficient home AND what would you do to improve your home's construction or energy efficiency.
Did your improvement result in any Dollar savings.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

...and I would still like to know the names of some of the construction companies that are currently building the various models, and which ones.* Comparing specific price ranges and builders with observed quality is the only way to get meaningful information.

Obviously, quality of construction, materials, components, and their energy efficiency would vary not only based on the builder, but based on the price of the home.* I would guess that the higher end homes, say above $300,000, would provide more energy efficient components than those below $200,000.* We just don't really know what is in the "broad middle", between $200,-$300,000.

Still, the initial question is a good one.* How tightly are exterior doors sealed?* Are you happy with the way the windows fit?* Does the AC system seem to keep up with the heat without running all day?** Have you noticed the amount of insulation in the attic?

Regarding AC unit efficiency:* When I viewed TV homes in the $200,000 price range a few weeks ago, I noted that the outdoor AC unit was about twice the size (not capacity) as the unit I have in my 7 year old home in Destin.* I didn't check the energy efficiency, but larger sized units of the same capacity ususally indicate a higher energy efficiency rating.* These "looked" substantially more energy efficient than the one I have in Destin.

There are tradeoffs when achieving energy efficiency.* I understand (and you experts out there, please correct me if I'm wrong...) that the higher the energy efficiency rating, the less humidity will be sucked out of the air because the compressor is on for shorter periods...UNLESS there are provisions for "dual stage" operation - when the blower fan runs longer at a lower speed during periods of high humidity.* I don't know much about the AC systems in the $200,000 - $225,000 range homes. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Thank you Im01 for raising this very important issue. It would seem to me that given the above average cost per square foot for TV homes that the developers must have consistently constructed high quality energy efficient homes. You have to believe that Mr. Morse would first and foremost be looking out for all of the TV residents and would have insisted upon the highest of standards from all of the TV developers. Perhaps Mr. Morse would care to comment on this and assure us that this has always been the case. [
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

IF The Villages used the high grade materials and energy efficient stuff, I'm certain they'd advertise that. I'm guessing it's mostly "builders-grade"...IMHO
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Veteran member

I have looked at DEL WEBB communities, not only do they advertise the energy star program each model has a sign posted on the cost of energy monthly to run that unit.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I live in Chatham, which is in Marion County...
I was told that TV would not build anymore homes in Marion County as it was to difficult to get construction approved......I'm not sure what this means , but I can't believe that they would change construction quality moving into the next county.......A very good friend of mine who is the past pres. of the Michigan home builders assoc. after an afternoons examination of the new homes being constructed just south of 466 said that the material being used was top quality and was impressed with the construction ......He also added that the finish work was some of the best he'd ever seen on mass scale bldg.....
We have about 30 sets of friends here ( to many) and they are all very happy with their homes.........

Fumar the cup of sugar borrower.....
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM

We didn't get that impression of the POA at all. I'm happy that those people are taking the time to investigate and work on issues that need to be corrected, and make us aware of the important issues. Let's face it - they're a watchdog group. You're not going to get the vanilla version of events that the Daily Sun pushes. P.S. We're not member of the POA, but are considering looking into membership of the group.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekops
We didn't get that [negative] impression of the POA at all. P.S. We're not members of the POA, but are considering looking into membership of the group.
I agree - we can choose to be involved in such things or not.

Does anyone have a list of names of TV Builders, by type: (Villas, Ranch) and location (neighborhood)?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM

There are worst things than not having an energy star home. Be happy you chose TV. See article below.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22590773

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.