Consumer Cellular problems

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
How do you like that phone otherwise? I am looking to trade up and have been looking at that one and the samsung they offer. How is the camera and ease of use (when it has bars ) otherwise?
I might be able to answer that better than Madelaine, because I do use my phone more than just for emergencies. I started with a Motorola G2. I loved the ease of use of the phone, but the camera was not very good. I upgraded to a G3. Same ease of use (I actually love the ease of use of this over every other phone I've had). The camera is pretty good, but not up to iPhone quality. I have read that the G4 camera is really good. Maybe someone else with a G4 can weigh in. I would like to have more zoom on my G3. But we use a digital bridge camera for travel.

My niece takes the most fantastic pictures with her iPhone... I can't match that with my G3.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I don't like it, but to be fair if you cannot hold a conversation on it, then it's of no use to you. It is frustrating. I only want a cell phone for safety sake, to have in the car in case of emergency, I take it when I walk early in the morning, when I go to the store - so I am probably not the best person to talk to about a cell phone.

I spent my business life with a phone stuck in my ear and being on call and I certainly do not want to live like that now. I do most of my communicating through the internet, and I use Skype to message my family. So I am not really a phone person. I was at the library yesterday and heard this very loud phone ringing - I watched someone drop her books on the floor to frantically search through her bag so as not to miss a call! It does not bother me if I miss a call, they can leave a message.
I can't speak to your phone issues BUT I so relate to your "relationship" to your phone. I too used to work with phones and no longer want to use one unless it's truly an emergency or important. NEVER just to chat! You sound JUST like me!! I don't "get" people who are "married" and "joined at the hip" to their phones!!! Whatever did they do before this technology???????

Hope you get the issues ironed out before too long!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I can't speak to your phone issues BUT I so relate to your "relationship" to your phone. I too used to work with phones and no longer want to use one unless it's truly an emergency or important. NEVER just to chat! You sound JUST like me!! I don't "get" people who are "married" and "joined at the hip" to their phones!!! Whatever did they do before this technology???????

Hope you get the issues ironed out before too long!!!
Thanks NotGolfer: Sometimes I feel like a freak because I do not want to be on the phone, apart from not wanting to "chat" I hate to waste the time on the phone. When the land line phone rings at our house neither one of us answers it, we invariably wait for it to go to the answer machine at which point we decide whether we want to answer or not. Like you, I just cannot understand people's need to jump on a ringing phone, I have seen people stop on the crosswalk at Publix to answer a phone - amazing. My friends know I hate the phone and they will let it go to the machine then tell us to "answer the damned phone". I am surprised we have any friends left! I have a neighbor, a really nice sweet person who spends her life on her phone, I can even hear her conversations from inside her house across the street from me.

But, what do we say ........... TO EACH THEIR OWN~

Now I still need to get this phone fixed.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I might be able to answer that better than Madelaine, because I do use my phone more than just for emergencies. I started with a Motorola G2. I loved the ease of use of the phone, but the camera was not very good. I upgraded to a G3. Same ease of use (I actually love the ease of use of this over every other phone I've had). The camera is pretty good, but not up to iPhone quality. I have read that the G4 camera is really good. Maybe someone else with a G4 can weigh in. I would like to have more zoom on my G3. But we use a digital bridge camera for travel.

My niece takes the most fantastic pictures with her iPhone... I can't match that with my G3.
Many thanks! We have Consumer Cellular and never have "tower" issues "down here"...hahaha...but, I am looking to get a new phone. We have flip phones but I feel like I need to get on board, for many reasons, with one of the newer phones. That being said, I will not pay the price of new piece of furniture, a pair of airline tickets or even a crown for my tooth for a phone!! So, I've been looking at some of their less expensive phones, just not sure how to pick. I am happy with their offerings of service prices and think I can make do with a kinda small package, just need a phone. Thanks for responding.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Many thanks! We have Consumer Cellular and never have "tower" issues "down here"...hahaha...but, I am looking to get a new phone. We have flip phones but I feel like I need to get on board, for many reasons, with one of the newer phones. That being said, I will not pay the price of new piece of furniture, a pair of airline tickets or even a crown for my tooth for a phone!! So, I've been looking at some of their less expensive phones, just not sure how to pick. I am happy with their offerings of service prices and think I can make do with a kinda small package, just need a phone. Thanks for responding.
I found both of my Motorolas online for around $200. I use AT&T, and they installed the proper card into the phone. I had two other kinds of smart phones (HTC Evo and something else-- not iPhone) that were expensive and difficult to use. These Motorolas are easy as pie! Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Lovey .... go to Target, that is where I started. They are also an authorized Consumer Cellular store. She has all the phones and you can pick through them. The Motorola G4 is a beginner smart phone and on their site it sells for something like $100, if I was smarter, I could probably do wonderful things with it!!! I am embarrassed to tell the world this, but I had a Verizon flip phone which was great for my needs, but I got embarrassed sitting using a flip phone when everyone around me was using a high techie phone so I changed up to a "smart" phone and I should have stayed where I was!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I found both of my Motorolas online for around $200. I use AT&T, and they installed the proper card into the phone. I had two other kinds of smart phones (HTC Evo and something else-- not iPhone) that were expensive and difficult to use. These Motorolas are easy as pie! Good luck on whatever you choose.
Thanks! Spoke with a friend today that's kind of a techie. He advised a Samsung that CC offers. Although, he said any of the Motorola's were good, too. He knows I will be using it minimally and am just interested really in being in touch with my "things" when we travel and the camera part. Then again, on our cruise next month they want big $$$ (to me) for wifi...which I won't pay for. I will just use it in the lodges and wherever else we find ourselves.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Lovey .... go to Target, that is where I started. They are also an authorized Consumer Cellular store. She has all the phones and you can pick through them. The Motorola G4 is a beginner smart phone and on their site it sells for something like $100, if I was smarter, I could probably do wonderful things with it!!! I am embarrassed to tell the world this, but I had a Verizon flip phone which was great for my needs, but I got embarrassed sitting using a flip phone when everyone around me was using a high techie phone so I changed up to a "smart" phone and I should have stayed where I was!
Many thanks! Had a friend advise me today to just go to Best Buy to just get a "feel" for all the phones and that might help. I did find that they are in the Target store, so I may go up there. We had the Verizon flips for years and when they pulled my discount because I had retired from my employer we went to CC...and, got their flip phones. We are on our 3rd year with those. I just wanna be able to keep up on my "things" when we travel and get texts, take pics, etc. I'd just get a tablet for traveling, but then, the camera thing. Too many decisions. Boy, it's tough growing up, huh?? Hahaha...take care
Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage

This is an update to my Consumer Cellular problems.

1. No bars ........ wrong service. They are sending me out a new SIM card which I can either do myself or go to Target and have them exchange the one that is in the phone.

2. I got very gently reprimanded for waiting too long to call and tell them I had a problem.

Their phone consultation this morning was exceptional and I am going to stay with the phone and learn how to use it!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:

1. No bars ........ wrong service. They are sending me out a new SIM card which I can either do myself or go to Target and have them exchange the one that is in the phone.

2. I got very gently reprimanded for waiting too long to call and tell them I had a problem.

Their phone consultation this morning was exceptional and I am going to stay with the phone and learn how to use it!
It won't be hard. You are a very smart person, Madelaine!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

Just curious about what sim card that gets no bars. Is it T-Mobile or AT&T?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Just curious about what sim card that gets no bars. Is it T-Mobile or AT&T?
T-Mobile. AT&T and Verizon, and probably other big providers, are fine here.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
T-Mobile. AT&T and Verizon, and probably other big providers, are fine here.
Thanks, I figured it would be T-Mobile.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
Fred...That's not always true. A more accurate statement is "You hope you get what you pay for". Consumer Cellular uses ATT towers, so the reception is what it would be with ATT. I know people south of 466A that have ATT service and they have had to get a "cell signal booster" (don't know the correct name for it) to help with the signal because the towers don't cover adequately down there. Consumer Cellular is a company WITHOUT contracts and no add on stuff to jump the cost. So for less money and the ability to change you plan monthly or terminate your agreement is where Consumer Cellular has it's nitch.
I've had the same provider for 7 yrs and haven't had a contract in 5 yrs. Don't know anyone that has a contract anymore. Most big companies are getting away from contracts anyway, so that point wouldn't make any difference to me anyway. Years ago I had Cinci Bell. They "claimed " they used ATT%T towers so the reception would be the same, but that was a crock. Their were areas around where I lived where I couldn't get service with Cinci Bell, but had not trouble when I switched to ATT%T. When I asked about this issue, the ATT%T rep just smiled. I understood his point.
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, call, consumer, cellular, works

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.