What makes a good rental?

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Veteran member
Default What makes a good rental?

Seems like some of you are still part-timers in TV and rent until you make up your minds or sell you house. My husband and I are both still working but bought a CY villa to use whenever we can. At present we are renting it when we can't use it -- and so my question. If you rent, what are the things you look for?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: What makes a good rental?

Well, I'll tell you what I'll be looking for in a rental. I'm moving to The Villages in August '08, will be renting for two to four months while I take my time shopping for a home to purchase. What I would like in my rental (in priority order): Golf cart; computer w/hi-speed internet access; at least one larger screen (minimum 32") tv w/cable and attached dvd player; cd player; bicycle; possibly a grill. I like quality linens (100% cotton of at least 400 thread count), but am prepared to bring my own linens.

While this is probably greedy, (according to the rental ads I've read), I think the rental prices for September and October should be the same as the rates for June/July/August. After all, it is still quite hot in Florida, and it's still technically hurricane season. (I'm sure I would feel differently if I was an owner wanting to rent out my home.)

I hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Thanks, bestmickey, that does help. Seems like I've thought of most of the things on your list -- not sure about the thread count though. Guess I should list them in the web sites. We are providing hi-speed internet, but not the computer. I thought about it and decided that was more than I could support. Don't you think many people would be coming with a laptop of their own? Also, we haven't yet put a TV in the master bedroom. Do you think most people will want that?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Linda,

I would say yes to the tv in the MB. We are in a similar situation. We will not perm reside in TV for a few years. Since our home is new we elected to go with property mgmnt in TV. They could handle it like a hotel for new B's. They give you a listing of what is required. I think some one has (caveman maybe) has posted the list on this site.

You should also check out my pole post. Do a search on poll questions and you may find mine, if not let me know I will send you a link.

I just found out that they do not recommend Internet Access due to the fact that it is not worth the trouble to them. :dontknow: If and when we take it out of Property management I will be adding it to my rental. Like you just the hookup & no computer at this point.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Okay, TV Man. I give up. You'll have to send me the link to your poll. Thanks. Also, a friend who bought a new place in TV gave me the list of "must-haves" from TV Property Management. Some made sense, but some didn't.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 PM

Here is one.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg12582

Here is the other,

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ewResults.html
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Veteran member

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda
Thanks, bestmickey, that does help. Seems like I've thought of most of the things on your list -- not sure about the thread count though. Guess I should list them in the web sites. We are providing hi-speed internet, but not the computer. I thought about it and decided that was more than I could support. Don't you think many people would be coming with a laptop of their own? Also, we haven't yet put a TV in the master bedroom. Do you think most people will want that?
Re: computer, you may be right about the laptops. Personally, I've got a desktop. Again, just my personal opinion, but I don't require a TV in the bedroom. It's nice, and something most folks probably want, just not something I'd stress about.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Send a message via AIM to FireOnWindCSR

Cabel TV, phone ( long distance blocked - but calling cards ok ), fully furnished, golf cart, linens, someone nearby who is acting as a property manager in case something is needed. Most people bring their own laptop computers. If there is a desk top then one may need to be concerned with what is being downloaded - etc. So administrative rights may need to be employed. Most rentals seem to occur between December and May, having high speed internet may not be cost effective but something that is desired.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM

getting the check every month
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Gold member

That was a good point about the computer in a rental. We had planned to have a computer in our rental unit, but now will think otherwise.

Thanks for pointing that out.

HB
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Veteran member

We decided to include hi-speed internet in our rental because all the people who are renting from us found us on the internet -- figured they would be the ones who would most likely want it. Comcast has a special deal now for $19.95 per month for 3 months, then it goes to the regular price ($50 maybe?). When no one is using our place, we will shut it off. If it is off for 3 months, then we are eligible for whatever special they are running at the time. I was told they usually have the $19.95 one so I could get that again.

Now, the only hitch is whether or not our place will be empty for 3 months. We keep thinking up "work" that needs to be done that requires our presence. And if we are there, we want the internet.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.