Contractors with bad drivers

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I cycle quite a bit on Villages roads and find, in general, the contractors in trucks to have better driving habits than the residents in cars. Part of this might be age related.
I couldn't agree with you more. I cycle extensively and find that contractors, cement truck, dump truck drivers, etc, are much more likely to allow plenty of clearance when passing, and are more courteous. My few close calls are elderly drivers in cars and SUV's.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Unfortunately, for walkers and bike riders, from our perspective, it can be a bit crazy and dangerous. I could give you some real stories of the drivers, it is a real surprise to be in a major retirement area and see the violations that are prevalent. As a retiree should you not be having a relaxing lifestyle? We see some nutcases that act like they are in the Daytona speed competition.
OK.............1. the running stop sign, or in reality just slowing down a bit, done on a regular basis. 2. The tunnels: If you are walking or bike riding or in your cart coming out of a tunnel,,,,,,,,,,,,, be careful. There is usually a stop sign on the pavement. I have seen not 1 but 3 cases that if I had really gone to the stop sign on the pavement, other drivers would have taken off the front wheel of my bike or the front of my cart. Especially in the late afternoon, and here is what seems to be the problem: At the time when shortly after the happy hours are over, groups of two to four golfers, with clubs on the carts, come whizzing down the sloped ramps at incredible speed, tailgating each other, former gear-heads? Racing and wondering about what to do when they grow up? Then, since they are in danger of rolling the cart, they cut the corner going INTO the tunnel very sharp and cut across the lane where the stopped person is exiting. Someone is going to really get hit hard at these locations. In one case I simply turned around, caught up with the trio, followed them to their plush neighborhood and slowed down, as the trio got out of their carts in their driveway, they had trouble walking and enjoyed ribbing each other about "slowly" poking along, wasting time, like let's do some more speeding and endanger everyone. Next comment was "Hey Ed do you have some of that good Scotch?" "The stuff at the the bar was really rot-gut".
So we do have a question, how many major problems or accidents do we have to have before we face this fact? Most if not all persons who are perched on a bar stool for several hours at the booze spigots eventually have to go home, do you think they may be driving a car or a golf cart?
Closed Thread

Tags
contractor, attention, quality, idea, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.