Cord Cutters

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran member
Default DVR Capabilities

Does anyone have a service like this that allows you to record and replay programs?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Chaser

I am what most would call an advanced user. I built my own PVR server and I use Comcast basic with their "card" that they supply for free. I then have two Amazon Fires on my two TVs that run Kodi as a front end for my cable service including the guide, channels, and recordings. So, I own all my own equipment. No ridiculous leasing fees for their equipment which is a major revenue stream for these companies. I have used an antenna along with PlayStation Vue but tried the other streamers. My experience: PlayStation Vue is superior if only for their "cloud" based DVR feature. Just add a show to your favorites and in most cases, you can watch every season and episode of that show anytime you want. Pretty slick.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Depends on what you want. Lots of channels, low cost, local news and broadcasting, new shows, dependability and so on. No one has mentioned CBS All Access which gives you videos of the CBS shows past and present plus the local CBS station 24/7 at a very affordable price. Combine this with Hulu for a low cost package. PlayStation Vue is best for a comprehensive package, with all the network shows and a large list of cable shows. Constantly adding on. If you’re a sports nut this is the best way to cover all your needs but it’s a bit costly. And Netflix-Amazon Prime will give you a great package for original entertainment. I rate Sling at the very bottom for network coverage.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Default Cord Cutters

I started with Roku, received free Apple TV with special offer from DirecTVNow, have since added Amazon Fire TV. I like the Fire TV the best. We have NETFIX, HULU, DIRECTVNOW. Love it. I just paid PRISM $200 to go away. Live in Pennecamp and Indiana. Just take my Amazon Fire TV with me when I go.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:13 PM

We have an RV in Ohio which we have a traveler portable dish antenna with a z211 box. We have Dish at our Ohio Home. I'm thinking about bringing the traveler antenna and the 211 box and for $7 a month I have my Dish Network with full Channel capabilities. True I will have to find a South East Skyline and be able to hide the portable antenna so as not to violate my deed restrictions. Maybe in the bushes

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM

Well said Tom!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I am what most would call an advanced user. I built my own PVR server and I use Comcast basic with their "card" that they supply for free. I then have two Amazon Fires on my two TVs that run Kodi as a front end for my cable service including the guide, channels, and recordings. So, I own all my own equipment. No ridiculous leasing fees for their equipment which is a major revenue stream for these companies. I have used an antenna along with PlayStation Vue but tried the other streamers. My experience: PlayStation Vue is superior if only for their "cloud" based DVR feature. Just add a show to your favorites and in most cases, you can watch every season and episode of that show anytime you want. Pretty slick.
If you get one of those home run devices that accepts a comcast Card, what is the comcast fee for basic? I have not seen this advertised.

Ty
Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I mounted mine in the attic and I use a booster and get 44 good channels. I deleted about 25 useless to me channels. I bought the antennae and booster at Walmart. After seeing mine, my neighbor did the same thing and he now gets the same channels.
What kind of antenna? What locale are you in?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Gold member

We live it the Spanish Springs area and the antennae is the largest one Walmart sells.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to MrsPhil

We got a good roof-mount digital antenna, so we get all the standard network stations with that. Lacking a DVR, we got Chromecast, which streams through a laptop (about $40 for the hardware) and we can watch most anything we want, when we want. We also have Roku (one time charge for hardware, varies) and Netflix ($9 monthly). Unless there are stations you MUST have, this allows more than enough choices. Also, with Roku, you can get PBS shows, but most of the good stuff also requires a monthly subscription of about $6. Our internet is $45/month through Century Link and we don't have too many issues with the streaming, either with Netflix or Roku, or Chromecast. Since we'd have internet anyway, we are only paying the $9 per month for Netflix and are happy campers.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to MrsPhil
Default Antenna and some extras do the trick

We opted to forego both cable and satellite TV when we moved to FL 3-1/2 years ago. We got a good roof-mounted digital antenna (about $90) and a smart tv (though that's not necessary); we added Chromecast (about $40 for the hardware and stream through a laptop or tablet); Roku (about $50-80 depending on which one, one time charge for hardware), which gives us access to lots of free stuff plus numerous subscription sites, including Netflix - which we have, about $9/month.

We get our internet through Century Link for $45/month (including taxes, etc.) and typically have no problems with our streaming; since we'd get internet anyway, we really only spend the $9 Netflix charge for TV. What you get really depends on what shows you want to watch as all the streaming subscriptions have different offerings. With Chromecast, we can watch any standard network shows whenever we want, so it works well for us without the extra charge for a DVR.

You may need to try different things to find out what works best for you, but cable is just an unnecessary expense from our point of view.
Closed Thread

Tags
cord, cutters, hulu, vue, netflix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.