Cord Cutters

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Most antennas have to be mounted really high on the roof, and pointed in the right direction (about 112 degrees, which are the transmitters from Orlando). You could get some other stations by pointing it in other directions, but most people here aim theirs at Orlando. Putting the antenna in an attic will cut down the signal where you might need to use an antenna amplifier. When the internet goes down, you can still watch TV with an outdoor antenna. Great hi-def picture, and its' FREE. There are over-the-air DVR's you can add, but they're not as convenient as the ones you use with cable subscriptions.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Our current Directv bill was about $125.00

DirectvNow $35
Amazon Prime $10
Hulu $12

So for about $60 we're getting everything we watched when we had Directv...

But even with Directv we were using Amazon Prime and Hulu anyhow, so maybe the comparison is $35 to A$128

But it depends what you watch on Directv, DirectvNow has a much smaller selection than Directv. For us is worked out great.
This is a big difference. Is the internet access cost in both numbers? When I roll up the numbers I see around $10 difference after all fees & taxes. Yes, if your renting equipment, the costs can be high. You want to keep those as low as possible. When you provide the equipment, you need to include that cost as well. Electronics has a finite life, both in working and relevance considerations.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnlars View Post
This is a big difference. Is the internet access cost in both numbers?
It doesn't include internet access. We'd have internet access for more than just streaming anyhow so we could not get rid of it even if we didn't watch TV/streaming.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 PM

For over a year now, I have been using an over the air antenna for all broadcast networks (abc, NBC, CBS, fox and PBS, plus some others). I have been streaming all of my other normal cable content using PlayStation Vue using a Roku device to select channels.

I also did this at my NY home. Here in Florida we are close to 60 miles from the broadcast towers. But I get everything almost perfect. Some slight pixelation only on NBC, but not enough to interrupt watching.

So an over the air antenna in the attic does work in many locations. I have helped friends install in their attics and they are getting very good results. Sometimes it takes a little patience in finding a good location in the attic and tweaking the direction of the antenna. But we have so far in every setup got it to work very well.

I did not switch to save money, although with my internet $45 and my PlayStation Vue $35, I am considerably less than the cable companies in the Villages areas.

My primary reason for switching was I never for 5 years got the same price month to month from the cable company. I was constantly on the phone with their retention departments to reduce pricing and stabilize it. I gave up doing this last year. It was way too much hassle. If I had gotten a stable price I may have stayed.

I haven't had to talk to anyone in over a year now.

One added note. The over the air antenna selection research process took a while. I eventually got it down to two really good antennas. Tom from Audio/Video told me about one. But I found an engineering company in Tennessee that has more of a commercial looking type antenna called Marathon that works better than the wire grid type antennas or the Leaf antennas.

It's not cheap, $193 shipped, but it works better than anything I have found from stores and I tested several.

I mounted it on the floor of my attic and pointed it 120 degrees towards Orlando and never had to adjust it again. I got about 65 channels. A lot of religious and Spanish channels. I deleted all that I did not want and narrowed it down to about 21 channels that we liked. This included all the major networks (abc, NBC, CBS, fox, PBS). Added Roku device to watch PlayStation Vue which had all most all the normal things from cable tv.

Google FreeSignal TV and Marathon antenna for info. Also you can watch installations on YouTube to see the actual antenna.

Hope this helps some of you.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Most antennas have to be mounted really high on the roof, and pointed in the right direction (about 112 degrees, which are the transmitters from Orlando). You could get some other stations by pointing it in other directions, but most people here aim theirs at Orlando. Putting the antenna in an attic will cut down the signal where you might need to use an antenna amplifier. When the internet goes down, you can still watch TV with an outdoor antenna. Great hi-def picture, and its' FREE. There are over-the-air DVR's you can add, but they're not as convenient as the ones you use with cable subscriptions.
UpNorth, actually Tablo Dvr's work great for over the air antennas and is easier than cable providers. They also have aTV guide and can record up to 4 shows at the same time. And it distributes your TV signal to every tv in your house over your wifi network wirelessly.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

For anyone looking into cord-cutting streaming services for the first time, check if cloud/DVR storage is available. I think most services offer it now, although there may be an additional fee and storage may be limited. Otherwise, you'd end up watching TV like the old days: live, one channel at a time, with commercials.

The services are growing and changing at a rapid pace, but this comparison chart appears to be up to date as of June 2017.
Best and Worst Cable TV Alternatives in 2017 - Live Streaming Services

Once you start adding extras, the base prices can be go up quickly. Another point to consider for the future is if Internet providers start implementing usage-based charges/surcharges.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM

I'm about to get an antenna to install in my attic. I just attempted to pull one of the cables from the box outside back up thru the wall. Can this be done? Or is there a trick to it? Will probably have to end up splicing into the cables in the attic. Appreciate hearing from anyone with experience and/or expertise in this area. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I'm about to get an antenna to install in my attic. I just attempted to pull one of the cables from the box outside back up thru the wall. Can this be done? Or is there a trick to it? Will probably have to end up splicing into the cables in the attic. Appreciate hearing from anyone with experience and/or expertise in this area. Thanks.
All my cables go up the wall into the Garage Attic, then thru out the house. I have access to all cables up there.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM

I understand, and mine are the same way. I was hoping to pull individual cables back up the wall to connect to the attic antenna, in order to avoid needing to use additional connectors to splice into the cables. I couldn't physically pull up the cables, and was just wondering whether there was a "secret" to being able to do it..
Old 11-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
I understand, and mine are the same way. I was hoping to pull individual cables back up the wall to connect to the attic antenna, in order to avoid needing to use additional connectors to splice into the cables. I couldn't physically pull up the cables, and was just wondering whether there was a "secret" to being able to do it..
Run the cable from the antenna down the tube into your cable box and place a splitter there. In order to have one splitter (six to eight), you might need a power booster.

(sorry if i'm not helping........my splitter is in the box)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Thanks for your responses. The attic opening to where the cables go down seems pretty crowded now with 4 cables going down. Is it relatively easy to get another cable to go down the tube, and find the end of it at the box?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. The attic opening to where the cables go down seems pretty crowded now with 4 cables going down. Is it relatively easy to get another cable to go down the tube, and find the end of it at the box?
It was...........the most difficult part was getting my old body up into the attic and playing army man on my belly to the top of the tube. My tube has 8 cables in it........probably different size tubes. Your 4 cables might have a zip-tie on them and only move as a group.......one should slide down.

Good Luck & Be Safe.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Audio Video View Post
I'm not sure but check out YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, Fobu TV, and Xfinity Instant TV. Coming soon are skinny bundles from CenturyLink, Charter (Spectrum) and Verizon. This will quickly become a crowded space with many options available.

TOM at Villager Audio, we are desperate to DUMP COMCAST. Every month, everything the same except the BILL, which is amazingly always higher. Surely to goodness, there has to be a way to replace cable with something!!! You've talked to us b4 and didn't give us much hope for our Village of La Zamora. House on Chula Vista has an antenna that you helped install, we understand they have the bare necessities. There has to be a way. Help!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks again for your responses.. One more question: Outside, the box behind the box that contains the splitter & connections - appears to be a plastic material with no visible screws or nails, etc. Wondering if I could get into this, if it would reveal some secrets to making what I'm trying to do easier? AND, if so, how do I get this open without ruining something???
Old 11-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Default Outside antennas

Are they allowing exterior antennas down in Fenney, does anyone know the true answer? All the new homes have so much reflective material in the attics an antenna in the attic won’t work.
Closed Thread

Tags
cord, cutters, hulu, vue, netflix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.