Corner Homesite

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Tickled_pink
Default Corner Homesite

We are starting our search for a home in TV.

Can someone tell me why there are many corner homesites for sale on pre-owned homes?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled_pink View Post

Can someone tell me why there are many corner homesites for sale on pre-owned homes?
I think because there are so many streets and they aren't very long and so we have a lot of corners. Corners are nice. You have privacy on that side and the dogs can walk there.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Corner lots are usually harder to sell as they usually have more land to look after. Also there is traffic on both sides and stop and go noise at the corner. That being said, if you like and want to garden, there is plenty of space to create whatever you want. I think that taxes are also based on frontage and if the house faces on the long side, it may be taxed more heavily (at least that is what I understand happens in Canada).

LW888
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Good question. My guesses would be: a) More lawn and landscaping to care for. b) street lights and headlights shinning into you windows. c) more of a chance for an accident backing out of your driveway with vehicles rounding the corner. d) taxes a little higher for the bigger lot.

There are pluses of a corner lot too. You need to weigh the pros and cons to see what works the best for you. I live on a dead end street now, and enjoy the fact that it has less traffic. My next house would ideally be at the end of a cul-de-sac, a pie shaped lot, and have a nice big yard behind it. But that's just me.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Corner lots are usually harder to sell as they usually have more land to look after. Also there is traffic on both sides and stop and go noise at the corner. That being said, if you like and want to garden, there is plenty of space to create whatever you want. I think that taxes are also based on frontage and if the house faces on the long side, it may be taxed more heavily (at least that is what I understand happens in Canada).
LW888
No. This ain't Canada.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Most corner lots are much larger then interior lots and they have many benefits. Many times the home behind you being on the side street will have the side of their home facing your back yard. Hopefully their garage side. So no kissing lanais and more privacy. With the bigger lot there may be room for a pool, golf cart garage, addition, garden, and other uses. About the only real down side is more lawn and landscape to care for. Personally I look for homes with a corner lot. I think the benefits far out weigh the negatives.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Thumbs up Short and sweet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No. This ain't Canada.
Gotta love Bog....says it like it is!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Gold member

There is a nice corner lot next to us in Fernandina at the corner of Braddock and Ardsley.
If the garage goes on the left side then any lights from turning cars will shine on the garage doors and not the windows.
It is a nice big lot going for 23K.
We have already met a lot of wonderful neighbors in this small section (207) of around 80 homes. Only 9-10 more lots available so better hurry.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

It's all about money. The corner lots are sold as a "premium" and cost more than an identical home on an interior lot.

Noise for a corner lot is only a factor if you're on a main drag. If you have an interior corner lot nestled in a neighborhood, as I do, there's no noise problem.

I have a very large corner property of about 15,000 square feet nestled in the middle of my neighborhood and have a street in front and in back of my home. I have big site lines from 3 sides of my home. My house was one of the last new "spec" homes to sell in my neighborhood because of the "high" price due to the "lot premium". My wife fell in love with the home, which was built with many upgrades and expansions and that's what I was waiting for, a home my wife loved.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled_pink View Post

It may be because they cost a little more to begin with and cost a little more at resale because there are advantages to living on a corner, just as Richie Lion Tiger Bear just said.

The less expensive homes may sell quicker.

I like our corner lot.....a lot.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Tickled_pink
Default Corner Homesite

Thanks to everyone for your input. So much to consider! Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM
BOMBERO
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No. This ain't Canada.

Seems like it Jan., Feb., and March.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Gold member

Love our corner villa lot - no prob with street lights, noise and there is lots of room to landscape. The dog has a great exercise area; pulling out of the driveway hasn't been an issue. No regrets!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We have a corner courtyard villa lot,

great yard, "big sky", feels open, we love it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.