A corner lot ...or not

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM

I have a corner lot on a dead end street. Quiet as can be. Just seek and you shall find.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Some factors to consider....

More grass = more irrigation water which is not an insignificant cost here

More exposure to the street so more chance of being a stop-off for doggies

If you are thinking of adding on, be aware of building setbacks... They are more restrictive on sides facing a street.

It all depends on what you back up to, the house orientation, how you plan to use that extra space, and what makes you happy.
All of these are excellent points to consider. Our water bill is considerably higher than our neighbors. Since there is more yard there is additional expense for maintenance, plus our landscaping costs were higher. We have four-legged visiters every day. Our plan for an extended patio / pergola had to be changed due to restrictions. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm really not. Most of these issues we realized when we chose our home. We love the open feeling and view the corner lot allows us.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM

In addition to traffic and cart noise, doggies and the added cost of watering, also think about headlights. We had a neighbor who sold their house on a corner lot because the headlights from cars turning the corner flashed in their bedroom and it drove them nuts.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM

Also let's not forget about the extra $20,000 or so premium the corner lot demands. That could pay off your bond.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your great insight. You have definitely given me lots to ponder.
Those of you who are corner home owners - are you ever bothered by stop and go of cars at the stop sign near your home?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarotJames View Post
Watch what happens on the corner lots; pet owners bring their dogs to take potty breaks. This also happens at the post office buildings in the villages. Ok if you love dogs on potty breaks in your yard.
You are right about dogs doing their thing on a corner lot. We call it the neighborhood doggie potty because they all pee and poop on the corner lot. If you don't mind that then you get more space on a corner lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

NOT one furry creature has used our corner lot for anything nasty that I have seen. I love it because you can sit on your lanai and have a street view and a lawn view and well, I think people who live on corner lots are .....cuter? smarter? more centered? No...more cornered.

Don't we dwell on dumb stuff sometimes, when we get all retired?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

My neighbor's problem with living on the corner is someone is constantly running over her sprinkler heads. She often has to pay to have them replaced.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

In response to 2newyorkers comment, I often see corner home owners putting up flexible poles on the corner, or boulders at the "curb" to try to direct drivers away from cutting the corner and damaging their sprinklers.

Additional thought...we seriously considered a corner lot, but the one house that was in our final "short list"of spec homes (be sure to also find out about allowed home orientation on any corner lots you decide to build on) was oriented backwards on the lot. In other words, we couldn't even see the large grass area from the living room (Gardenia) We ultimately decided that that was dumb, as we didn't want to pay extra for the corner, water and mowing, without getting the benefit of seeing it from inside the house. The other side was just as close to the neighbor as any interior lot. We ended uo with a Gardenia with outside golf car garage, and our neighbor visible from our living room windows also has the outside golf car garage, providing us just a few feet of extra visible space from our living room windows.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 AM

hi Hopeful we bought a corner lot in an established village and the only traffic noise we hear are the trash trucks at 7 am. The noise last about 3 minutes then all is quite again.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Sage

I think more important than a corner or cul de sac, is just the size of the lot.

we originally picked out a 60x90 to build on, why pay a premium for a bigger lot right?

Wrong, our lot in on inside corner and the back yard in on street, the lot is almost 150 ft deep and 105 wide in the rear, about 40' to the curb then a street then when the houses R built on the other side of the street I'll have about 100' between lanai's.

I have room to expand our lanai 530 sq ft add a pool spa what ever.

Best 20K lot premium we spent on this adventure.

U just need to spend time hunting down the right location.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think more important than a corner or cul de sac, is just the size of the lot.

we originally picked out a 60x90 to build on, why pay a premium for a bigger lot right?

Wrong, our lot in on inside corner and the back yard in on street, the lot is almost 150 ft deep and 105 wide in the rear, about 40' to the curb then a street then when the houses R built on the other side of the street I'll have about 100' between lanai's.

I have room to expand our lanai 530 sq ft add a pool spa what ever.

Best 20K lot premium we spent on this adventure.

U just need to spend time hunting down the right location.

With creative landscaping, road noise and lack of privacy won't be that much of a problem.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage

Agree, also remember your setbacks about 10-13'
U can not plant on.

Also the use of berms help with noise and privacy

But get ARC approval, it's simple.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.