CoronaVirus | Club Events | Town Squares

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2020, 08:43 AM

I recently met a good friend in Orlando for the day. She is a PHS - Public Health Service - Officer nurse who was deployed to Omaha, Neb for a week of clinical work for people who were on lock down after returning from cruises, other countries, etc. Her take away from that week of working with CDC officials:

1. This is not 20 times worse than a cold. It may be 3 times worse because the virus does a number on your lungs. So anyone with a pre-existing lung/breathing condition should take the highest precautions. And, of course, others who are at risk and most know who they are.
2. The most obvious symptoms are dry cough, high fever like over 101. If you take a deep breath and hold it for ten seconds, successfully, without coughing, good news. People with the virus cannot hold their breath without coughing. Some people with COPD cannot pass this test either, under normal conditions, so it's just a benchmark.
3. Wash your hands like crazy, especially when you return to your home. Go straight to the sink and wash. Some people say changing your clothes immediately is helpful as the virus can survive on objects, like clothing, for a long while.
4. Stay very well hydrated. gargle with salt water twice daily. Use a normal saline nasal spray to keep nasal passages moist. A dry respiratory tract invites viral cells to find their way into your lungs quicker.
5. If out of home and you sneeze, sneeze into your inner elbow so as not to spread droplets through the air. If you sneeze into your hand, wash your hands immediately following the sneeze.
6. No need to rush to get surgical masks to wear. Masks are for the sick person. Wearing a mask only invites the virus to cling to the mask then you touch the mask over and over and the virus is now on your hands and everything you touch afterwards. I know some may disagree, this is what the CDC has learned to be most effective in cases like spreading droplets in the air.
7. Avoid hugging and handshaking, no explanation needed.

It is my personal opinion that any event with alot of people, indoors especially, should be cancelled to prevent the likelihood of an infected person unknowingly spreading the virus here in the bubble. If you must go to a big indoor event, be sure to use good judgment in order to protect your self and those around you. Also, I think people who have been on a plane or a cruise should attempt to self quarantine, as best they can, for 14 days, as a precautionary measure.

We American's are so blessed in so many ways and I don't think we remember that fact enough. It's a sacrifice to miss out on events but we need to protect our most vulnerable friends and neighbors. In my opinion, even though it is a huge inconvenience and disappointment (I really wanted to go the craft fair on Saturday and cardio drumming today) I think avoiding crowds is the very best practice we can all do. It's for the sake of all of us, we are all here together and should give a little in order to protect each other, my opinion. I don't plan to debate what I've posted here, just wanted to share what I have learned and also share my opinion as a nurse.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Sold out Trisha Yearwood at The Sharon is cancelled. St Patrick's Day at LSL is still on.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
You can’t compare the flu with covid 19 which is only at the beginning stages. There is no way you know the flu is worse at this early stage of the pandemic.
I think I've learned the Coronavirus is different because of the ability of the droplets to survive much longer, on all surfaces and in the air. Also, this strain goes right into your lungs.

It's really hard for any of us to determine if this is an unnecessary scare 'PANDEMIC" at all. The media is scarring the pants off of people. My friend in San Diego told me you can't buy bottled water, toilet paper (of all things), hand sanitize or Lysol wipes anywhere. All stores have been wiped out. American's are panicking and I sure hope this doesn't open the flood gates for ideas of how to do harm to American's in the future. Bad guys are watching the way we react. Also remember, China produces most of our antibiotics!!!! Ouch!!!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

The craft show has been cancelled
Old 03-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Ohio has cancelled school grades k-12 in all of ohio for 3 wks. Cleveland has shut down Playhouse square Museums are closed anything with crowds of 100 people or more.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I doubt there are many OB beds, since Villagers are generally over the childbearing age
Sorry - don't know what OB beds are?
Old 03-14-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj740@comcast.net View Post
Ooops….just realized - OBstetrics….I'm a little slow this morning.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj740@comcast.net View Post
Obstetrics
Old 03-14-2020, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, you gave opinion, and one fact about wait time. Here's today's ER wait facts:
ER Wait Times Within 30 miles of 32162
These are the average wait times at hospitals near 32162. Actual wait times will depend on many factors.

Hospital - Share Your Experience
City

Total Wait Times

Leesburg Regional Medical Center Comment
Leesburg
3h 12m

Florida Hospital Waterman Comment
Tavares
3h 16m

Citrus Memorial Hospital Comment
Inverness
3h 24m

Villages Regional Hospital, The Comment
The Villages
3h 35m

Munroe Regional Medical Center Comment
Ocala
4h 42m

Where is the proof of "substandard care"?---that's right, it's all anecdotal, and many of the stories posted make no medical sense

Where the proof that they lack supplies? Did you take inventory?

You cannot conflagrate fact and opinion, that's what the mainstream media is for.
About those averages... My husband went to TVRH ER in August one year. Wait time: 0. My friend was in a horrible car accident and went to the same ER during the winter season. Wait time: 7 hours on a gurney in a hallway. Average wait time between those two: 3.5 hours.

Tags
club, events, squares, coronavirus, emails

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.