Coronavirus Advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
Jury is still out on that one as it's impossible to tell how many have had it and gotten over it.
No one yet has the correct data to figure this out yet.
At current numbers, 10x more lethal is still below 1%.
While you are certainly entitled to feel like this is nothing more than a bad flu, and to point out that beestings and car wrecks are killers also, your comments suggest to me a lack of understanding of the potential of Covid. It is not just a bad flu. Flu can be prevented with vaccines and treated with well tested medications. And despite those situations still kills over 30,000 Americans each year. Flu never fills hospitals with so many sick patients that they run out of ICU beds, run out of ventilators, have doctors, nurses and others dying. At least not since 1918.

Flu doesn't do what happened in Wuhan, and Italy, and on the Princess ship, and now in NYC. This disease is much more contagious than influenza and much more lethal. As essentially no one is naturally resistant to Covid and it spreads easily.

If you have never taken the opportunity to read about the 1918 flu it is worth doing now. Of course we all say it couldn't happen again because we have antibiotics and it was bacterial superinfection on top of viral influenza that actually killed most of the victims. Covid kills almost always on its own. Patients don't die from bacterial superinfections like in 1918, this virus kills by itself. Think smallpox, think Ebola.

Social distancing is going to help. We will have fewer cases but more importantly we will have a low wide wave not a high narrow one. It might be NYC now, and Detroit in a few weeks, and Omaha at the end of April. It is going to spread. But now that Detroit and Omaha are taking precautions, they won't end up like NYC which didn't have time to blunt the curve.

When this is done, and if only 250,000 Americans have died which is now the White House estimate, you can say, See only 10 times worse than a regular flu. And you'd still be wrong. Because without the dramatic interventions it would have been so very much higher.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM

FAUCI and BIRX listen to them...... Search several Covid 19 info details.. and see what it helpful, practice social distancing , obey 9pm-6am curfew, and dont go out unless you have to.... there will ALWAYS BE THE FEW who spoil it for the rest of us, but dont let them win. They will succeed, but only in making it law and not advisory. BUT we will already be doing these things and will be used to it.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM

I second that thought
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
You really need to keep the politics out of it while we're in a crisis ... try to help bail out the boat vs poking holes to help it sink.
While I never agree with your harping on the wrong things, i do agree, HOWEVER....UNDERSTAND something.....people are scared, people are confused and are comparing the things they hear.

They deserve a break...while you are obsessed on what role China plays in the virus (not much worried about the current round of missle testing from N Korea) most want to know how to stay safe and what is happening, so cut them a break
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
While I never agree with your harping on the wrong things, i do agree, HOWEVER....UNDERSTAND something.....people are scared, people are confused and are comparing the things they hear.

They deserve a break...while you are obsessed on what role China plays in the virus (not much worried about the current round of missle testing from N Korea) most want to know how to stay safe and what is happening, so cut them a break
I agree, it’s time for a break on the constant harping against the leader of this country and the brilliant team he has assembled to conquer this virus. It’s time for people to stop and think. This virus can be contained and that is with the cooperation of the population of the US. Be calm, there are updates almost daily from the White House and with this leadership we will come through this. Turn off the tabloid, sensationalist broadcasters and enjoy the tranquility in your home.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The most practical advice I've seen remains consistent ..

1. wash your hands frequently

2. do NOT touch your face

If you do those two things, that will go a long way in keeping you safe.
Stay home!!!
Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage

The federal leadership and the medical community are saying the same thing:

- wash your hands
- don't touch your face
- stay at home as much as possible and socially distance yourself when you aren't at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I am changing direction and taking advice from the medical community. Am I messing up since the medical advice I am hearing the loudest is coming from the media outlets and it is different from the federal leadership. Who’s right! Please don’t think I am being political. I want the best advice for me and my family.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The federal leadership and the medical community are saying the same thing:

- wash your hands
- don't touch your face
- stay at home as much as possible and socially distance yourself when you aren't at home.
Agree,,,,,NOW they are and we should concentrate on that
Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

First of all, harping is a deliberately chosen inflammatory term on your part. Disappointing but not surprising. Tsk tsk. It's like you're picking a fight. I think it’s because you're still upset you never got around to preparing in advance and have an aversion to firearms. Maybe I’m reading you wrong?

I think the culpability of China is clear and needs to be pursued. I don’t think it’s obsessive but more like ignored, but hey you can think whatever you wish.

All of us are uncertain and otherwise trying cope. We need to unite and suck it up in a national emergency. However, there are still some people that seem to delight in taking shots at you know who. It’s like rooting for the captain to fail even thought that might mean the ship sinks. That’s both self-destructive and unpatriotic during this crisis.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I agree, it’s time for a break on the constant harping against the leader of this country and the brilliant team he has assembled to conquer this virus. It’s time for people to stop and think. This virus can be contained and that is with the cooperation of the population of the US. Be calm, there are updates almost daily from the White House and with this leadership we will come through this. Turn off the tabloid, sensationalist broadcasters and enjoy the tranquility in your home.
Well said!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I was advising people stay calm and listen to the excellent team of people that have been assembled by our president. (The OP was looking for advice as to how to react to the virus.). Enough said.
Yes, agree. I think the complaining poster gets upset easily and can be emotionally fragile at times.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Cdc who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieburr View Post
By all means listen to the medical professionals, not the government.
I absolutely would listen to the medical professionals before I would listen to the CDC, WHO or even NIH. It was the medical professionals who used the life-saving hydroxychloroquine and zithromax while the government was saying no, delaying it and looking at other drugs. This was happening even AFTER patients were successfully recovering using the malaria drug in combination with the antibiotic. Now after many deaths more patients are being treated with this combination and it is working!
Old 04-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Stay home!!!

Yes, very true. That's my baseline assumption but it never hurts to repeat it.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Default Document or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
It's the Flu folks! Granted if you get it, it could be worse but in the big picture... no, not really. Car wrecks and bee/wasp stings are still a far greater killer. Well it was before everyone ran inside scared to death by the media and government.
Here is a site that tells you, through its personnel--pharmacists-- about how many in the USA die of bee stings per year. As a result, the statement you made, just about the bee stings alone and death of humans, is TOTALLY AND UNABASHADLY FOOLISH. Look it up or shut up. Deaths from hornet, wasp, and bee stings increasing | American Pharmacists Association .
Old 04-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I absolutely would listen to the medical professionals before I would listen to the CDC, WHO or even NIH. It was the medical professionals who used the life-saving hydroxychloroquine and zithromax while the government was saying no, delaying it and looking at other drugs. This was happening even AFTER patients were successfully recovering using the malaria drug in combination with the antibiotic. Now after many deaths more patients are being treated with this combination and it is working!
I am not sure who you mean when you say medical professionals and then exclude the CDC, WHO, and NIH from your list. Do you mean a GP you saw on Fox, or the misstatements of a politician? The government was not saying no, real medical professionals were saying be cautious, there are no good studies yet. Fortunately medical professionals did not abandon other potential treatments and say as you suggest, we already have the answer.

You might want to look at the first published attempt to replicate the findings you claim showed that the drug combination made patients recover. The attempt to show benefit using exactly the same medications failed. And more studies to come will hopefully clear it up. But your assertion that the combination has been proven to work is incorrect

Here is the title of the study:

No Evidence of Rapid Antiviral Clearance or Clinical Benefit with the Combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin in Patients with Severe COVID-19 Infection

Tags
advice, medical, coronavirus, don’t, political

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.