Coronavirus Testing - Day 1 Results

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchhere View Post
Anybody know how you sign up to volunteer?
We were in the research group yesterday. I think they did the testing five days (M-F). So more results will be coming in over the next several days.

I asked the med student who did our swab whether more testing will be done. She said it depends on the amount of supplies they have. She said to watch the newspaper for further information. We found out about it through a friend but there was a article in the DS—maybe more than one last week.

The process was extremely well organized and professional. I’d encourage anyone to volunteer.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Platinum member

I should also have added it was easy to register on the website. First, you answer a brief questionnaire and are assigned to Group A or B.
You choose an appointment time, enter some personal data, then print out a consent form and a confirmation. You bring these to your appointment along with a photo ID. Be sure to read instructions carefully. I could have missed something here.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

According to the online Villages News in a very recent post The Villages is up to 31 cases as of this afternoon. And in the article is lists all the cases in FLorida and by age groups. Being over 65 I found these statistics very sad.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Default Research Study

I am curious about those who volunteered for the Research Study and took the test.

What kind of questionnaires did you have to fill out?

What follow up was planned for you?

Will you be returning for additional tests or be followed in some manner?

Were you asked to self isolate, even if your results were negative?

Were you asked to keep a journal of any contacts you have with other people or visits to public places such as grocery or drug store?

Were you asked about mental health issues such as anxieties?

Were you asked about any existing health issues, i.e. diabetes or heart disease?

Were you given any guidelines about social contacts?

Last edited by pqrstar; 03-28-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
According to the online Villages News in a very recent post The Villages is up to 31 cases as of this afternoon. And in the article is lists all the cases in FLorida and by age groups. Being over 65 I found these statistics very sad.
According to a BBC article, the trend is for cases to double every two to three days, according to the amount of close contact with others.

How the UK’s coronavirus epidemic compares to other countries - BBC News
Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

The medical center called on people for testing!!!! The way research works is to get all different outcomes and subjects to see how the test performs to validate the effectiveness!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Default Testing Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
The medical center called on people for testing!!!! The way research works is to get all different outcomes and subjects to see how the test performs to validate the effectiveness!
Yes, the volunteer testing in The Villages was for UF Health Research

So my questions about the survey and followup on those testing negative here in The Villages is important.

Please read the article about the RESEARCH STUDY

UF Health working with The Villages(R) and state officials to rapidly ramp up coronavirus testing | UF Health, University of Florida Health

"If they are concerned yet do not have symptoms nor meet standard clinical testing criteria, they will have the opportunity to sign up for a UF research study that enables them to receive testing as part of an epidemiological protocol known as community surveillance. The purpose of the study is to assess the degree of asymptomatic viral shedding at the onset of a COVID-19 outbreak. This is a valuable public health activity to identify people with early disease or asymptomatic shedding of virus.
Closed Thread

Tags
results, positive, testing, symptoms, patients

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.