Cost to build on

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2020, 02:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts
Default Cost to build on

Can anyone here who has added on to their home in recent years give me a totally ball park figure on adding a 15 x 20 bedroom with walk in closet and bath to an existing stucco house. I realize there are tons of questions to be answered before I could get a near figure but just a general idea per sq. ft. would help me at this point. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage

I would bet you should ask whomever comes and gives you estimates. IF someone on this site has had it done the cost factors could have changed. PLUS the various contractors most likely would give varying price points. My guesstimate...would be perhaps 20k to 50k depending on all the finishes.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:06 PM
Sage

I have to make a decision before I can get a contractor out to get a quote. That's why I'm asking for a ballpark from someone who had an addition put on in recent years. I could guess $250/sq. foot but is that high or low, I have no idea.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Excluding Kitchens and Baths, the national average is $128 a square foot.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Default Cost to Build

On a remodel plus adding a bath your probably looking at around $300 per sq ft here in the villages.
Bob
Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I got estimates running from $20K up to $43K just to widen my garage by 4' (total around 96sq ft) so what anyone tells you is pretty meaningless until you get real estimates. The "big guys" are pretty independent and have too much work so they will blast you with crazy estimates. figuring either "money is no object" or "I don't give a sh1t if they don't take my bid". My $43K estimate was from T&D who wouldn't even put it in writing the $20K was from a local guy who got the job and all was fine but he has since had health issues so I couldn't recommend him at this time. There were 2 other estimates, one for $32K and another for $25K (and he said "the price could vary up to 10% as we start working.") I found that quite humorous.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I got estimates running from $20K up to $43K just to widen my garage by 4' (total around 96sq ft) so what anyone tells you is pretty meaningless until you get real estimates. The "big guys" are pretty independent and have too much work so they will blast you with crazy estimates. figuring either "money is no object" or "I don't give a sh1t if they don't take my bid". My $43K estimate was from T&D who wouldn't even put it in writing the $20K was from a local guy who got the job and all was fine but he has since had health issues so I couldn't recommend him at this time. There were 2 other estimates, one for $32K and another for $25K (and he said "the price could vary up to 10% as we start working.") I found that quite humorous.

Another way of saying; "Just give me a blank check and when I'm done...I'll fill in the amount."
Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Can anyone here who has added on to their home in recent years give me a totally ball park figure on adding a 15 x 20 bedroom with walk in closet and bath to an existing stucco house. I realize there are tons of questions to be answered before I could get a near figure but just a general idea per sq. ft. would help me at this point. Thanks for your help.
Not sure if this will be helpful at all, but FWIW:

Our previous home (a Lantana in Calumet Grove) was built in 2003. In 2005 the owners turned a 12' x 12' patio next to the breakfast area into a room plus added a second master suite (a 4th bedroom) with a large bathroom and its own HVAC system on that side of the house. The permit they pulled stated that construction would cost $60,000.

My only suggestion is to consider how such an addition would affect the value of your home vis a vis the other homes in the neighborhood. It is always best, as they say, to have the least expensive home in a neighborhood (because those other homes will increase the value of your property) as opposed to having the most expensive home on the street (which can hurt resale).

Good luck with your potential purchase.

kathy
Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Depending on contractor, for many the cost is time. I see lots of additions that come to screaching halt. Contractor has too many irons in the fire.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:32 AM

I would look for a house for sale that would meet my wants before I would undergo a large and costly expansion. I understand that you might love your current village and neighbors, but... there are a lot of variations available in other great villages here.

Along the same lines, I would probably not buy bordering on beautiful property that was outside the villages since no one knows what will be built there.

FWIW
Old 01-12-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Cost us close to $30,000 to add in to our den with less space than you are talking about.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage

Can you tell me what size your addition was and what year you had it done? Also is your home Stucco or siding? thanks Nick.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I would bet you should ask whomever comes and gives you estimates. IF someone on this site has had it done the cost factors could have changed. PLUS the various contractors most likely would give varying price points. My guesstimate...would be perhaps 20k to 50k depending on all the finishes.
I agree, NotGolfer! Now could they get that much for their home plus a little profit when & if they sell it someday.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM

Had our screened lanai which was under roof and already had two walls from the house turned into a 4th bedroom with a closet for about 12000 about 5 years ago. Vinyl sided house
Old 01-12-2020, 06:56 PM

We had some minor work done by Demetri Remodeling (two large sliders installed with demolition of existing windows and the labor was only $3000. I have seen room additions that they have done and the price seemed very inexpensive, nowhere near $250 a SF. I would highly recommend them.
Closed Thread

Tags
figure, answered, tons, questions, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.