cost of enclosing patio

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2022, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Yes, 5 classes of the construction of enclosing your lanai to determine if you pay any taxes. The 2 changes/modifications that will cause tax increases are adding a heating/cooling unit and taking out your sliders leading into the lanai. There is a way around the 1st item and that’s if the split system you put in is classified as a dehumidifier and not a heating/cooling system
Old 11-21-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I have a designer Lily Lanai is 28.5' by13' I would like to enclose with a low wall and low e windows. I work in glass fusion and kumihimo and my craft supplies are taking over. I figure a low bench could store supplies in bins under so thats why I want a low wall plus the rain beats in on the bottom 2' so a block wall under the windows would be best. Does anybody know how much something like this costs?
Also a friend recommended Harbor Town has anyone used them?
All help appreciated
Trudy in Tamarind grove
I am having my “enclosed” lanai and outside patio redone. I got quotes fro Corbin Construction (high bid), Magellan Pergola Guys (low bid) and White Aluminum (middle bid). Free consults. You need to have any company you choose come and see exactly what you have and what you’d like and get the estimates.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:58 AM

Property taxes do not increase for raised floor in Sumter County. If the homeowner removes the sliders then the property taxes increase. As long as the sliders stay in place you can raise the floor, add a mini-split A/C, add vented A/C or zoned A/C or do just about anything to the lanai and the property taxes will not increase. For Sumter County as long as the sliders stay in place, the square footage does not change.

We removed lanai concrete floor, added vapor/moisture barrier (plastic sheeting), installed new concrete level floor (with tile on top to match rest of house), added zoned A/C, A/C outlets, cable outlets, horizontal slider windows with solid glass wall on bottom, standard style rear door, extended lanai from 10x30 to 14x30, new ceiling with recessed lighting and two new fans and all was done per code. Zoned A/C for lanai could only be added if vapor barrier was in place under concrete. The original lanai floor (10' wide) dropped 2 inches from house to edge, which was the main reason we wanted to level the floor. We did not raise the lanai floor to the level of the living room floor. We did not want to lose the 3"-4" in height. The lanai ceiling is only 8', so a few inches made a big difference. And, we didn't mind the step-down. When they kicked out the lanai 4 feet we had them install the new pillars evenly spaced. If you check your lanai, my guess is the spacing between pillars will not be equal. Making the spacing between the pillars equal made the new windows look more consistent. We left sliders in place and the square footage (or property tax purposes) did not change. When we sold the house we advertised it with basic square footage, but reported 420 sq ft lanai with zoned A/C and its own thermostat. I think enclosed lanai with big screen TV on wall and its own thermostat A/C was the big selling point.

If you want to verify or know for your particular county, call property appraiser of permitting department for your county.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
If you are going to spend this kind of money, do it right. We just enclosed our lanai and here’s what we did:
1) Used double pane windows with sliding windows on the ends for cross breezes.
2) leveled the floor to match the height of the floor in the main house
3) used the same tile as what’s in the house so the lanai looks like an extension to the house
4) add electrical outlets, cable rg6, and rg45 Ethernet cabling
5) use quality blinds to block the sun and heat from coming inside.
6) used Custom Windows to do the work. Since we have the sliders that open all the way behind the walls, we don’t really need any additional heat/cooling source.
am just curious- did you need to get any approval for this, or was it all clear?
Old 11-28-2022, 02:43 PM
Default Don't use Windows of Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcojb View Post
We are in the process of getting quotes to enclose a lanai approximate 26 x 12 with new windows, A/C, insulation in ceiling, electrical, and new concrete to even out the flooring...looking at $25 to 30K
They enclosed my lanai in 2020 and less than a year later, 2 of the windows developed leaky seals. The windows are under warranty but the company who they use for the windows has stalled for over a year in providing replacements. Windows of Central Florida is still buying windows from this company.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20221107_122939.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	95897  
Closed Thread

Tags
low, wall, windows, supplies, block

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.