Cost of Living in TV

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 AM

As the NJ guy said, we are living much more cheaply here than we did in Virginia. Every month we have more than $1000 MORE left over after all bills are paid than we did before moving to TV. I find food prices comparable to what we paid in VA. Insurance, taxes, home expenses are all cheaper. Living the Life of Riley!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't disagree with John & The Dude but here's my 2 cents worth. I'm from the midwest, Ohio. If you're trying to compare where you live now & here like John says he's from Maryland. In Ohio my electric bill was about 60 to $70. a month, the highest. I think my property taxes here are less, mine are 1,950 a yr. but you have a bond payment with your property taxes which is about another $2,000. a yr. my total bill is around $4,100. a yr. So what I'm saying is after your bond, (unless the bond is already paid) is paid my taxes would only be about $2,000. a yr. In Ohio my property taxes were approximately $4,000. a yr. So TV is less in that respect is less. My water bill in Ohio was an amazingly never got a water bill higher than $15. you heard me right, $15. Here in TV it's runs as an average between 60 & $70. a month, but when I moved here people said water was high. As far as amenities, mine are $151.??, those do very. I think on the old side I think amenities are less than $100. correct me if I'm wrong. Ins. down here is about the same maybe a bit higher, that's house Ins. they want you to by some extra's, which might be worth it. Now as far as car Ins. well I'm getting my car repair now as we speak. Car Ins. is OK but watch who you buy from, the Ins. I have is going to go, I'm surprised they can stay in business down here, to put it short I'm dumping my Ins. & going with someone else. Like the advertisement on TV says, "You have the wrong Ins, No I have the wrong Ins. company". Hope this helps some. As far as expense in TV I think the merchants are expensive, resturants vendors & people who bang on your door wanting to fix something. I've talked to I bet a dozen people & everyone of them said they lived here anywhere from 10 to 22 yrs. & their quote was, "When I moved here "X" amount of yrs. ago you could live like a millionaire, now you've got to be a millionaire to live here". But again it really depends where you come from, Calif. or NY, it is cheap to live here. Well there's my 2 cents worth. Overall depends on what your living standards are but TV is like a Disneyland for retirees.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Send a message via AIM to Laschott

It is not cheap to live here in The Villages. But if you look at what you get for your money it isn't that costly. The Villages is not for everyone you need to be active and take advantage of those activities that are free. People that belong to a country club pay monthly fees up to $500 a month plus bar bill and cart rental.
You get a lot more here in TV for that kind of money, dancing lessons free, group exercise, card lessons free, pickleball lessons free, golf at the executive courses free if you walk, dancing at the town squares and so on. Yes it's paided for in your amenities fees but if you divide it up you pay a lot,lot,lot less to do a lot more.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM

We are in a golf course and water view house - Lantana - and we have a total cost of approximately $16,000 per year for every single expense outside of food.

Our friends have a Villa and say that their total is nearer to $9,000 per year.

Eating out and drinking is inexpensive. And the activities are all within that pricing (above). I can't imagine a less expensive community where you can have this much fun.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm coming down to visit in a couple of weeks to see if I might like to relocate to TV.

For those who have lived in TV for a while do you find it expensive to live in TV compared to other retirement communities in FL?

Or do you consider it not overly expensive and you are satisfied?
We find it very cheap t live here as a retired couple. We can stay busy with activities every day for little or no money. Most things are free to do. We pay for Championship golf, which is the most expensive thing. You can get a copy of the rates at any Championship Golf Club. Depending on where you live now, you may think the property taxes are cheap or high. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 PM

If you are coming fro New England, your expenses for taxes, utilities, food, entertainment, heating, etc. will be cut substantially. Don't worry about the details, just do it.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Yes, it is expensive in the villages. Example bond payments total cost of $ 22,000 dollars over 25 years or so. Taxes, $ 2300 per year

ammentiys fees $ 149.00 per month, maintance fees $ 600 dollars per year. Outside the villages you get much more house for less money, and there is no bond payments example: Arlington ridge area is beautiful south on 27
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Sage

The $149 is the greatest bargain in entertainment, if you use it. Most that came here probably had every intention of using the amenities.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERCHIEF View Post
Yes, it is expensive in the villages. Example bond payments total cost of $ 22,000 dollars over 25 years or so. Taxes, $ 2300 per year

ammentiys fees $ 149.00 per month, maintance fees $ 600 dollars per year. Outside the villages you get much more house for less money, and there is no bond payments example: Arlington ridge area is beautiful south on 27
Here in MA, my home is in a Condo development.

Maintenance fee $250 per month.
Property tax is $4,600 per year.
Amenities Fee 0, because there is no amenities here LOL.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERCHIEF View Post

The bond is the charge for the infrastructure and rec centers and green spaces in your area. If you add it into the cost of the home as it would be in other areas it is more understandable. I do not doubt that other areas may have larger homes for less money, but those areas aren't selling thousands of homes like the Villages do.

The bond is about $50K for Premiers.
The bond is about $22 for designers and some CYVs
The bond is about $??? for patio villas and cottages.

If a person cannot afford to live comfortably with the amenity fee, cost of home or taxes, than they should seek a place that is better suited to their budget.

There are huge differences in cost of living if you factor in or out alcohol and dining out frequently. Groceries are a little more expensive, but water is not (to us) taxes are about the same. Heating and cooling is cheaper. We moved from Cincinnati area.

You must know that the place is run by the developer south of 466. And run well, I think. North of 466 control is largely on elected people. There was a group of people who sued the developer and won.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If a person cannot afford to live comfortably with the amenity fee, cost of home or taxes, than they should seek a place that is better suited to their budget.
I agree 100% with this.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Gold member

We are closing on a home there next week. We will be moving from NC. Our taxes have consistently increased the past few years, and they are now more expensive than the Villages, Water in TV is much cheaper than here, From what I can tell, heating and cooling is also cheaper. The home we bought had the bond paid off so we don't have that expense. We don't have an amenity fee here since our PUD (Planned Urban Development) and our Subdivision doesn't have any. We do have an inexpensive HOA fee which is comparable to the maintenance fee. The price of food both in groceries and restaurants are very comparable. Alcohol and beer is cheaper in TV. Home insurance is about the same and I don't know about car insurance but I do know I will have less cars so it should be less. Cable, internet etc are about the same. Overall, I think it will cost me the same in TV as it does in NC with the exception of amenity fees which, we plan on making extensive use of. And, I think once I sell my house here (that has a mortgage) I will be able to pay off the small mortgage we are taking to buy the house there so I won't have one.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Don't forget to factor in (at least for the present) that Florida imposes no state income tax when comparing costs of living in TV to the cost of living in states in which one must pay state income tax.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Sage

TV is the best bang for the buck you can get-we bailed out of NJ in 95--our real estate tax was $19 K--the people who bought our house bulldozed it & built a mansion, guess 4200 sq ft was too small==the villages is a comfy fit, except for dining & thats my opinion about dining
Closed Thread

Tags
expensive, compared, live, retirement, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.