Single Newcomer Reception

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Default Single Newcomer Reception

I'm a 56 yr old single male physically challenged. I looked over the villages some years ago and was in awe of all it has to offer. I will not be able to participate in the physical activities but am looking forward to the many clubs and ways of socializing. Would you please share with me your first experiences of moving in and getting together with others. As I describe it to others it seems like a day camp for adults, is that accurate. Thanks for sharing. Herb
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Single Newcomer Reception

Hi Herb, welcome to TOTV. You didn't mention if you have decided to move to TV, so I'm assuming you haven't made that decision yet.

I am still renting but plan to move permanently by this spring so I can't give you details as an owner, but I can tell you about my experiences as a renter. You probably will not have any problems getting together with others especially if you become a regular on TOTV, you'll hear about many events that occur socially. The first thing to consider, is to join us in the TOTV monthly lunch meetings (not really a meeting, but more of a social get together) which occurs every month on the 3rd Friday at Crispers Restaurant. We can give you more details if you're interested in coming. This is a new event and is open to all TOTV members. The next one will be held on Feb. 15 at 3pm and as I stated its at Crispers Restaurant. Hopefully, if you are in TV at that time, you will join us.

And, from my first impression of TV, I'd say my opinion was it was Disneyland for adults. Great place to retire to. Hope you join us. Good luck, Kathie (the so-called shy one :redface

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to this request from some members who are owners.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Hi Kathie, I'll probably not be there until June and then I will join the dinner crowd. Thank you for the invitation. Herb
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Dancing Thyme

Bump

Can anyone add on to my suggestion for Herb? Thanks,

Kathie :redface:

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM

herb, i moved to tv as a 51 year old single physically challenged female some ten years ago and from day one have thoroughly enjoyed the villages golf cart lifestyle.
along with all the usual social clubs you'll find clubs where residents with different physical and/or health challenges meet together for support and education.
the villages wellness center also welcomes residents with physical challenges who want to find adaptative ways of staying fit.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

Bump.

Any other comments to help Herb. Thanks, Kathie

Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Sage

Hi Herb, my husband and I have only been in TV since November and we've already made many new friends. We don't golf, don't even have a golf cart. Not much into all the physical activities. But you simply won't believe all the clubs, classes, rec center activies, socials, charity events . . . I can go on and on. We're on the go all the time. Then beside all of that there's this forum and the chat room. I really believe I've made some wonderful and lifelong friends through this website. Also, when we bought our home, our Realtor had a party at one of the country clubs for all the new owners, and we meet great new friends through that, sharing all the experiences we've been going through. I swear when they say this is America's Friendliest Hometown -- they mean it! Also, they have day trips through AAA and other events and of course every night is a party in the two town squares. Believe me you'll never feel lonely or left out or left behind. I hope you decide to move here. We looked at many other places, but for the beauty, friendliness and variety of activities, there is no other place like TV. Also, whether you're a couple or on your own, everyone is always welcome.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks Chels:

Anyone else want to offer Herb some advice? Thanks, Kathie

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Thank You for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to living among you and sharing smiles with all. Thanks, Herb
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
JohnnyM

Hi Herb and welcome. My wife Barbara and I visited TV for a week and immediately made our minds up to move there. Our house is on the market now and like many others on TOTV we are just waiting for the day, hour, minute to become full time residents. It's great to have you on board and please, please keep on posting. Good luck, Johnny :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Hello Herb....The Villages Florida

I am not a full time Villager yet, I dream of the day..
We've owned a home in TV for the past 4 years and every time we go, we love it more and more..Hubby has to retire..The Villages Florida

The people are the best, so friendly..There is also a singles club you might look into..

It's great to have you on TOTV and hope to see you in chat..The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Herb, I would say that you'll discover that any physical challenge you may have will interfere very little in your ability to have fun here.

While I'm no longer so disabled that I even qualify for a placard, at one time I was severely disabled, so I'm used to looking at things from the viewpoint of whether I will be able to get to a place, do a thing, etc. You'll find that there's really very little you won't be able to join and do if you have the desire. Some of the dance classes may be out of your reach (okay, probably all of them) and unless you have a special cart, etc., golf may not be feasible. Ditto tennis or pickleball. But there are clubs for your region, any special hobby or collection you have, games galore, traveling, etc. No way you won't keep yourself as busy as you like. The Squares are very conducive to chairs, canes, walkers and crutches. (If you're in a chair, I can even teach you a trick or two in how to dance in one if you don't know how already. )

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.