Generation 3

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts
Default Generation 3

And lower service as I read it will end in February 2022.

Ref: article. Act NOW - 3G is Going Away in 2022 - Wireless Customer Support

I take this as all 3G and lower cell phone service regardless of the provider will be discontinued. I also think cell phones are at shortage now due to semiconductor problems. Luckily for us our phones are generation 4 or higher. If you don’t know what generation you’re iPhone, flip phone, or cell phone is I would find out now?
Old 09-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:37 AM

Yes, my parents are on Verizon and were mailed a card offering them new phones for nearly nothing just for switching/retiring their 3G phones right now.

As you stated the 3G network is being retired soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

I take this as all 3G and lower cell phone service regardless of the provider will be discontinued. I also think cell phones are at shortage now due to semiconductor problems. Luckily for us our phones are generation 4 or higher. If you don’t know what generation you’re iPhone, flip phone, or cell phone is I would find out now?
Old 09-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Generation 3................I thought you were talking about my grandchildren.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:

Last year, Verizon told me that the service would switch to 4G only in Dec and the lower service would be dropped. It didn't happen. I wonder if they do this to get folks to purchase newer phones.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

Like most things there is no shortage of confusion. I think what to do depends on your carrier. Based on my experience when you call your carrier, they too are confused.

I do not claim to be a reliable source. As I understand from ATT they will discontinue 3G
in Feb. If, I am right, you have time. We went to an ATT store. Talk about confusion. First of all ATT stores some are company owned and others are privately owned with some sort of contract with ATT. There is no sign on the door saying which is which.
ATT which you can call WILL GIVE YOU a replacement phone for FREE. It is a basic CHEAP phone. I had an apple this is an android. You can buy this phone mail order for like $80.

I'M far from a techno nerd. The ATT owned store, set it up for me at N/C.

Another computer pain but they could not have made it easier. Time wasted running around with misinformation and it was hours well that is my loss.

Teasing a bit. Is there a computer monster that watches ME? It seems every time things become comfortable and I learn the rules of the game, some techno nerd thinks change is needed.

My understanding ATT and the others will stop mainlining the towers in Feb that are on 3G. Again i am not a techno nerd. I think the rest of the world uses the satellites, that we pay to launch.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Generation 3................I thought you were talking about my grandchildren.

Few know what the G means.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Like most things there is no shortage of confusion. I think what to do depends on your carrier. Based on my experience when you call your carrier, they too are confused.

I do not claim to be a reliable source. As I understand from ATT they will discontinue 3G
in Feb. If, I am right, you have time. We went to an ATT store. Talk about confusion. First of all ATT stores some are company owned and others are privately owned with some sort of contract with ATT. There is no sign on the door saying which is which.
ATT which you can call WILL GIVE YOU a replacement phone for FREE. It is a basic CHEAP phone. I had an apple this is an android. You can buy this phone mail order for like $80.

Another computer pain but they could not have made it easier. Time wasted running around with misinformation and it was hours well that is my loss.

Teasing a bit. Is there a computer monster that watches ME? It seems every time things become comfortable and I learn the rules of the game, some techno nerd thinks change is needed.

My understanding ATT and the others will stop mainlining the towers in Feb that are on 3G. Again i am not a techno nerd. I think the rest of the world uses the satellites, that we pay to launch.
If you’re wildcatter and don’t us main line carrier’s you will have to get at least 4G phone. Naturally it has to be unlocked. All the free carrier phones are locked.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post

I have an older (but a goodie) BMW, and I was advised by BMW that the features that use 3G (emergency road service call, etc.) would stop working at the end of 2021. There was no upgrade they were trying to sell me so I think it's legit.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Last year, Verizon told me that the service would switch to 4G only in Dec and the lower service would be dropped. It didn't happen. I wonder if they do this to get folks to purchase newer phones.
Probably like OPEC.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Yes, the loss of 3G cell service will effect many items other than cell phones, as noted above the are several older cars that will have some functions cease, and I am sure that other 'remote control' type functions that other companies use will be impacted.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:35 AM

Same for Lexus. Any of their cars prior to 2018 will no longer have that service in October 2022.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Do you think that the carriers will be able to switch over all 51,000 cell towers as of January 1st 2022? In reality it will probably take one to three years and I'm sure a central Florida The villages is not on their priority list. Like most things in life I don't sweat the small stuff. I use a monthly plan and no one's told me anything yet as far as 4G is concerned, and then this will be 5G and 6G and 7g. And by the way I'm still waiting for the TV stations to broadcast in the 16,000 definition and everyone's been promising for 5 years!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:34 AM
Default Broadcasting in 16,000

And by the way I'm still waiting for the TV stations to broadcast in the 16,000 definition and everyone's been promising for 5 years![/QUOTE]

As a followup about TV being broadcast in 16,000...the problem is not being able to. The problem is three-fold:
First... there are very few studios generating content
Second...the infrastructure is not in place to deliver the bandwidth required. Fiberoptic is the current technology.
Third...In that fiberoptic is only available in about 5 - 10% of the country, reverse to #1, above
Old 09-26-2021, 11:00 AM

That is how to do it,
Cell Companies have zero interest in looking back to support older phones.....
BUY A NEW PHONE OR GO AWAY is how they talk.
Reality, you have no other carriers to go to.

Remember the person pumping you to buy is a low educated flit that makes $7.80 per hour after taxes. Take a guess why they are aloof?

All my kids have high level degrees. That is called parenting.

lets do some math. After taxes
$7.80 per hour
$312 for a 40 hour week.
$3,744 per year

Unlivable.

On average, most spend close to that on food and gas.

That explains the BUMs in front of Walmart

Thanks WH

OUT!
Closed Thread

Tags
generation, phone, cell, phones, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.