Cost of Removing Confederate Statues

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
These statues of Confederate Heroes, are not being removed as "historic reminders in the guise of racism." They are being removed as "historic reminders OF racism."

No one needs to have "yes, the south was, and still is racist" shoved in their faces every time they want to visit a public park.

If that sentiment bothers you, then look inward as to why.
You first.
Didn't seem to bother anyone for the past hundred years. But, then again maybe they knew something we don't? Or, maybe they weren't "sensitive" to "feelings."
Thanks for the laugh today. My wife almost fell out of her chair laughing at my being called a racist and white supremacist. Maybe some day I'll let you in on the reason.
Sorry, not your fault. Some folks are just emotional and take a discussion and make it into an AGENDA and take any controversial subject and make a verbal war of it.
Yes, tear down those bad statues. Plant a tree for the tree huggers. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love trees. Especially fruit trees, because they make good fuel for smoking meat.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Hey, I love you all. We disagree. I bet if I met you out on the town, I'd like you.
It's been a good conversation. I think it's time we move on.
Peace.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:46 PM

A few broken windows!!!!!!!!!!
A goofier statement can not be made than that.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Most of the future generations will never know the real history of our country. It will all be whatever the mind bending education will teach them. SAD
Old 09-26-2021, 11:11 AM

Politicians never worry about spending other People’s money.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
You first.
Didn't seem to bother anyone for the past hundred years. But, then again maybe they knew something we don't? Or, maybe they weren't "sensitive" to "feelings."
Thanks for the laugh today. My wife almost fell out of her chair laughing at my being called a racist and white supremacist. Maybe some day I'll let you in on the reason.
Sorry, not your fault. Some folks are just emotional and take a discussion and make it into an AGENDA and take any controversial subject and make a verbal war of it.
Yes, tear down those bad statues. Plant a tree for the tree huggers. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love trees. Especially fruit trees, because they make good fuel for smoking meat.
Good points.

This all started back in 2016 as part of that "tantrum a week" flurry that plagued America. Confederate statues, metoo, people having their "bathroom rights" violated or something...I'm sure people can remember a lot of the others. I prefer not to.

I have no doubt that there ARE sincere people who want the statues removed for righteous reasons. But for others, it is nothing more than virtue-signaling, and all that posturing is beyond a bit tiresome.

Maybe we need to grow up.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
"The Cornerstone Speech, also known as the Cornerstone Address, was an oration given by Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of America, at the Athenaeum in Savannah, Georgia, on March 21, 1861.

Here's the exerpt: "..."our new government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth..."

So, no. They weren't fighting to save their homes. They actually believed they were superior to black people.

Did Alex Stephens speak for ALL of the Southern soldiers? Fine, then have the statue removed PROPERLY, not by rioters and protesters.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Did Alex Stephens speak for ALL of the Southern soldiers? Fine, then have the statue removed PROPERLY, not by rioters and protesters.
I would imagine they all felt the same way, as I never heard or read about any of them wanting to free slaves.

When the Patriots defeated the Bristish, American mobs pulled down the British statues, as seen in this illustration. It's a tradition, I suppose.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-26-2021, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
The statue was removed properly, by the state and town government, by order of Governor Northrom (I might have spelled that wrong). It was dismantled so that it could fit on flatbed trucks and moved off the premises. It'll be properly restored, cleaned, and stored, until it's placed in a more suitable location. Hopefully a museum where its history and significance can be better appreciated and understood.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 09-26-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
The statue was removed properly, by the town government. It was dismantled so that it could fit on flatbed trucks and moved off the premises. It'll be properly restored, cleaned, and stored, until it's placed in a more suitable location. Hopefully a museum where its history and significance can be better appreciated and understood.
Yes, this mythical museum...

I'll take "Things that'll never happen" for $800, Alex...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-27-2021, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
I would imagine they all felt the same way, as I never heard or read about any of them wanting to free slaves.

When the Patriots defeated the Bristish, American mobs pulled down the British statues, as seen in this illustration. It's a tradition, I suppose.

The Villages Florida

The majority of Southern soldiers did NOT own slaves. The soldiers were fighting for their homes and state, not for slavery.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
The majority of Southern soldiers did NOT own slaves. The soldiers were fighting for their homes and state, not for slavery.
The war was about taxes on farms for the most part.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The war was about taxes on farms for the most part.
There were several causes of the Civil War. "States Rights" is brought up as a primary cause - but which rights are they talking about? Answer: The right to own slaves. The South wanted each state to maintain its right to allow slavery. The North wanted to abolish slavery, and the South insisted that infringed on the states' rights.

That was the PRIMARY cause of the war. There were other causes. But that was the big one. If there was no slavery, there likely would not have been a war.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
There were several causes of the Civil War. "States Rights" is brought up as a primary cause - but which rights are they talking about? Answer: The right to own slaves. The South wanted each state to maintain its right to allow slavery. The North wanted to abolish slavery, and the South insisted that infringed on the states' rights.

That was the PRIMARY cause of the war. There were other causes. But that was the big one. If there was no slavery, there likely would not have been a war.
I don't believe that. Slavery was going to disappear anyway. It was inevitable. Most of the concern in the South was over economics and the overreach of the Federal Government.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I don't believe that. Slavery was going to disappear anyway. It was inevitable. Most of the concern in the South was over economics and the overreach of the Federal Government.
Yup...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
confederate, statues, insist, cost, remove

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.