Cost of Removing Confederate Statues

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2021, 04:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Can you please explain with names the honoring statues you're referring too?

Really? You can't figure that out for yourself?
Old 09-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I never understood why we put up statues to honor traitors. Maybe next we'll erect one for the crazy QAnon nut job with the horns
And don't forget Benedict Arnold, Alger Hiss, & the Rosenbergs -- they're all part of our history.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
But they were pardoned, just like FALN and SDS terrorists.
President Andrew Johnson took no chances. On Christmas Day 1868, he pardoned former Confederates from the crime of treason, thwarting vengeful Northerners, Lost Cause Southerners and headline writers all over the country.
Once pardoned, most of them went back to their part time hobby, being active members of the KKK.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramred04 View Post
The cost is minimal to the "cost" it took... to put them up ...
The Confederate memorial was erected in 1890, the first of six monuments that became symbols of white power along the main boulevard in Richmond.
When Dallas Tx removed Lees statue it was cautioned off winning bid was 1.45 million dollars.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
President Andrew Johnson took no chances. On Christmas Day 1868, he pardoned former Confederates from the crime of treason, thwarting vengeful Northerners, Lost Cause Southerners and headline writers all over the country.
IMO, that was the right thing to do. But, also just MO, it does not change the fact that they were traitors (okay, pardoned traitors), and don't deserve to be honored with statues.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I never understood why we put up statues to honor traitors. Maybe next we'll erect one for the crazy QAnon nut job with the horns
First of all my great, great, great grandfather was a Northern General. Traitors? You might read about Robert E Lee a great man of HONOR. But, for his leadership the US would have faced years of guerilla warfare. We are INDOCTRINATED that the civil war was fought to end slavery. That the emancipation proclamation freed the slaves and we buy this INDOCTRINATION fed to us by our teacher's union. For those who can still think.
Reality is when Lincoln issue the emancipation proclamation Jefferson Davis not Lincoln was in charge of the south, In his own writings Lincoln's goal was not to free the slaves but to preserve the union. Lincolns hope was to start a slave revolt in the south.
It did not happen. Had it happened. Yes, it would have caused trouble for the south.
In the south several states 1/3 of the population was slaves-I think Mississippi was an example. It would also have resulted in the slaughter of many slaves.
Why the civil war? States rights. Clearly the issue has not been settled, even today.
Only a small percentage of people fighting for the South owned slaves and the north there were few slaves. The reason, was not morals. It was cheaper to higher an immigrant work them to death and dump em.
Hitler had his book burning. We now destroy our statues and rewrite history-reality.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why does this guy/gal constantly get away with brainwashing posting?
A poster expressed concern over the cost of removing statues.

Appropriate to put whatever that cost is in context with other taxpayer costs.

Capitol Riot Costs Will Exceed $30 Million, Official Tells Congress - The New York Times

Architect Of The Capitol Outlines $30 Million In Damages From Pro-Trump Riot : Capitol Insurrection Updates : NPR

Sorry you are offended. Not “whitewashing” as you say at all.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I find our current divisiveness similar to what life after the civil war must have been like.
Roughly 10% of our population, of military age, fought in the war. Vets were a common sight missing arms, legs eyes etc. Lincoln wanted to welcome the south back into the union. Lincoln was murdered and Johnson became president. Johnson wanted vengeance. Part of how we got to where we are today.

Pardons and history. Germany lost WWI the French who suffered the greatest number of casualties in WWI wanted and got vengeance. The result was WWII. At the end of WWII they hung a few of the leaders a symbolic gesture. Had they punished all that participated who knows where we would be today. Japan. McArthur abandoned his troops in the Philippines. Leaving my father to experience the Battan death march. He obviously survived. He never spoke about it. McArthur was put in charge of Japan after WWII. He treated them far better than the Japanese treated prisoners, Chinese, Philippines. Some NEED to read about Nan King and Japanese germ warfare, or the fact that they had a peace delegation talking peace when the aircraft carriers left Japan for the attack on Pearl harbor.

Just as today. Reality is far more complex than what most accept as truth.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
First of all my great, great, great grandfather was a Northern General. Traitors? You might read about Robert E Lee a great man of HONOR. But, for his leadership the US would have faced years of guerilla warfare. We are INDOCTRINATED that the civil war was fought to end slavery. That the emancipation proclamation freed the slaves and we buy this INDOCTRINATION fed to us by our teacher's union. For those who can still think.
Reality is when Lincoln issue the emancipation proclamation Jefferson Davis not Lincoln was in charge of the south, In his own writings Lincoln's goal was not to free the slaves but to preserve the union. Lincolns hope was to start a slave revolt in the south.
It did not happen. Had it happened. Yes, it would have caused trouble for the south.
In the south several states 1/3 of the population was slaves-I think Mississippi was an example. It would also have resulted in the slaughter of many slaves.
Why the civil war? States rights. Clearly the issue has not been settled, even today.
Only a small percentage of people fighting for the South owned slaves and the north there were few slaves. The reason, was not morals. It was cheaper to higher an immigrant work them to death and dump em.
Hitler had his book burning. We now destroy our statues and rewrite history-reality.
In the south 1/3 of the population was slaves and only a small percentage of people in the south owned slaves? Sounds a bit like modern times. 1 percent own most of the wealth. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
A poster expressed concern over the cost of removing statues.

Appropriate to put whatever that cost is in context with other taxpayer costs.

Capitol Riot Costs Will Exceed $30 Million, Official Tells Congress - The New York Times[/url]
Sorry you are offended. Not “whitewashing” as you say at all.
We ALL know the United States Government will pay $350.95 for a $10.00 hammer...
A few broken windows, $30 Million!
Old 09-11-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
The Confederate memorial was erected in 1890, the first of six monuments that became symbols of white power along the main boulevard in Richmond.
When Dallas Tx removed Lees statue it was cautioned off winning bid was 1.45 million dollars.
The "Cost" I was referring to was,.. not in "Dollars"...
Old 09-11-2021, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Confederate generals and Confederate politicians were all traitors to the United States.
Perhaps your knowledge of history is better than mine, but reading the articles of confederation that preceded the constitution, the importance of local, states rights, it seems inconceivable that the ,then relativity independent states would have joined into a system they could not walk away from. My understanding is Robert E Lee was offered the command of union forces, refused and resigned his commission because his state wanted to leave the union. As a military commander Gen Lee did remarkedly well with what he had to work with. The confederate states lost due to economic/ logistical realities. After the war this loosing general was offered many appointments by foreign governments due to his demonstrated abilities.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Confederate generals and Confederate politicians were all traitors to the United States.
If anyone wants history to repeat itself, removing all reminders (such as statues) is one good way.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

My case in Point:

‘Reprehensible’: Lawmaker Calls For Statue Of Abraham Lincoln To Be Taken Down
Old 09-11-2021, 06:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

It is amazing how a 2 time loser, drug addict Floyd started the destruction of American history. There is so much more to this than a statue. Monument Ave. used to be beautiful now looks like a war zone. To be replaced with a Floyd statue, or maybe a pacifier?
No big deal.
Closed Thread

Tags
confederate, statues, insist, cost, remove

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.