Costco coming?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Costco coming?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! We were at Costco this morning and had to talk to the manager about a return (2 bottles of single malt scotch blew their corks and emptied in our car). We told him we were from The Villages, and, we, along with a bunch of other people, wanted a Costco here. He said that they had looked at land here, and it's in the plans. He can't say when, but it's coming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also read on Facebook that someone else had heard the same thing. By the way, he replaced the 2 bottles for free. That's customer service!
Old 06-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! We were at Costco this morning and had to talk to the manager about a return (2 bottles of single malt scotch blew their corks and emptied in our car). We told him we were from The Villages, and, we, along with a bunch of other people, wanted a Costco here. He said that they had looked at land here, and it's in the plans. He can't say when, but it's coming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also read on Facebook that someone else had heard the same thing. By the way, he replaced the 2 bottles for free. That's customer service!

I would think a store manager would not be privy to corporate plans of such a nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

It would be a very welcome addition. Every winter when we drive to our Villages home, 3/4 of the stuff packed into our truck are supplies from Costco.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

I have friends that work for Costco Corporate here in Kirkland, WA. I’ve asked and they have no idea if one is coming to TV but they did say Costco does not invest in seasonal populations. They also said, if Costco believes it can make a profit in a city, they will build one. Lets hope we’ll see a Costco TV in the near future.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I have friends that work for Costco Corporate here in Kirkland, WA. I’ve asked and they have no idea if one is coming to TV but they did say Costco does not invest in seasonal populations. They also said, if Costco believes it can make a profit in a city, they will build one. Lets hope we’ll see a Costco TV in the near future.

This makes sense. Need to copy and paste on the numerous threads devoted to this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Platinum member

By all means, cross your fingers. Just don't hold your breath.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Fingers AND toes crossed!

I LOVE Costco!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
As big as TV is going to get with all the new land acquisitions down south, it could only be a matter of time before they build.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We were renewing our membership this morning up north and the assistant manager said she has a home in Virginia Trace. Husband is retired and she still working full time.

Would love to transfer but she said Wesley Chapel is too far to drive. I mentioned we had hopes of a Costco closer as she did.

Response was only extreme upper management has a clue when and where the next Costco will open. Anyone at store level usually only knows once building is going up, and transfer list is posted. And then the public knows about same time.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I just got back from an Alaskan cruise and land tour and were surprised that both Juneau (1 location) and Anchorage (2 locations) have Costcos when both of them have populations smaller than The Villages, even in the summer months. I'm also sure that the average household income in both cities is well below that of The Villages. That said, I've heard that Sam's Club here has an issue with The Villages in that Villages tend not to buy much in the way of their larger ticket items. Maybe it really isn't that profitable for warehouse clubs to operate here. Given Costcos record of success, I imagine they have good enough reasons for not coming here, at least not yet.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Default Costco

iT SOUNDS AS IF THEY CONSIDER US A SEASONAL POPULATION. I LIE HERE YEAR ROUND AS DO MANY, MANY PEOPLE. IF SAMS IS SHOPPED ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM OPEN I WOULD THINK COSTCO WOULD BE ALSO. NOW IF WE CAN JUST GET A TRADER JOES!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking You Never Know

You never know who knows what's going on. It may be the clerk in the office etc. I remember that one time the rumor was flying around that we were going to get stock options. It ended up true. The source was the shoe shine guy in Corporate as he overheard it from one of the VP's who got his shoes shined every morning. The shoe shine guy passed it on to us. The message is it may be a clerk in Costco. WHO KNOWS?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

There's a Costco in Orlando, that's seasonal.

I can't wait for a Costco, at my age I don't buy green bananas.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
My wife and I just got back from an Alaskan cruise and land tour and were surprised that both Juneau (1 location) and Anchorage (2 locations) have Costcos when both of them have populations smaller than The Villages, even in the summer months.
Yes, Juneau is smaller than The Villages. In 2016 it had only 32,000 residents. But Anchorage is more than twice the size of The Villages. 2016 population 298,192.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
My wife and I just got back from an Alaskan cruise and land tour and were surprised that both Juneau (1 location) and Anchorage (2 locations) have Costcos when both of them have populations smaller than The Villages, even in the summer months. I'm also sure that the average household income in both cities is well below that of The Villages. That said, I've heard that Sam's Club here has an issue with The Villages in that Villages tend not to buy much in the way of their larger ticket items. Maybe it really isn't that profitable for warehouse clubs to operate here. Given Costcos record of success, I imagine they have good enough reasons for not coming here, at least not yet.
Hard to believe when the local Sams opened a new meat area that serves $35 a pound meats, much better sea food and Definitely improved their fine wine selections. They would not be in business if someone was buying this stuff...good for them!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.