Costco coming?

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Hard to believe when the local Sams opened a new meat area that serves $35 a pound meats, much better sea food and Definitely improved their fine wine selections. They would not be in business if someone was buying this stuff...good for them!!

Considering SAM's club is closing 63 stores this year (Is your Sam's Club closing? Here's the list) and Costco none that might explain why Costco is so successful and so very selective on where they open stores and better at doing it. I'd love to see a Costco here (or even in OCALA) but not keeping my hopes up high. Same for Trader Joe's.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
There's a Costco in Orlando, that's seasonal.
I can't wait for a Costco, at my age I don't buy green bananas.
The Orlando metro area has a population of 2.4 mill. I believe that’s a bit more than TV. Sam’s has a different matrix when selecting locations, hence the reason so many are closing. I’m sure we’ll eventually see a Costco in TV vicinity. Sooner rather than later would be ok with me, but they didn’t ask my opinion
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Default Sams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Considering SAM's club is closing 63 stores this year (Is your Sam's Club closing? Here's the list) and Costco none that might explain why Costco is so successful and so very selective on where they open stores and better at doing it. I'd love to see a Costco here (or even in OCALA) but not keeping my hopes up high. Same for Trader Joe's.
Sams club is Walmart with better meat.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Gold member

What is Sam’s lacking that Costco would provide?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
What is Sam’s lacking that Costco would provide?

Very little.

Consumer Reporters Costco vs. Sam's Club review - Business Insider

Costco vs. Sam's Club Review and Price Comparison | Cheapism
Old 06-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage

This rumor has gone around for the last XX years and always comes from "someone who works at Costco or knows someone who knows someone, said"......unless we see it announced formally, I'd say keep on hoping. Maybe they'll come, maybe they won't.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Sam’s Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Sams club is Walmart with better meat.
Wholesale Clubs tend to cater to small businesses that buy in the bulk. When there are only two (one sometimes) in a household they pass on a number of items because they can’t use the items in bulk. Because of the area growth there are a number of small businesses in and near The Villages. That said, Costco if they come to the Villages area, will likely do well.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
My wife and I just got back from an Alaskan cruise and land tour and were surprised that both Juneau (1 location) and Anchorage (2 locations) have Costcos when both of them have populations smaller than The Villages, even in the summer months. I'm also sure that the average household income in both cities is well below that of The Villages. That said, I've heard that Sam's Club here has an issue with The Villages in that Villages tend not to buy much in the way of their larger ticket items. Maybe it really isn't that profitable for warehouse clubs to operate here. Given Costcos record of success, I imagine they have good enough reasons for not coming here, at least not yet.
In Alaska 50% of items bought there is by the pallet, or case. Dog food, booties for dogs, items for hunting and fishing. Many only come to town couple times a year. Our oldest lived in anchorage for 8 years. Then to UK for 8 years. He found it interesting when they moved back to St Paul that items were bought individually in Sams and Costco.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Gold member

Very informative links, thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran member

I will go back at my first opportunity and tell that manager that I found out he was lying, and will never believe anything anybody from Costco ever tells me again.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
In Alaska 50% of items bought there is by the pallet, or case. Dog food, booties for dogs, items for hunting and fishing. Many only come to town couple times a year. Our oldest lived in anchorage for 8 years. Then to UK for 8 years. He found it interesting when they moved back to St Paul that items were bought individually in Sams and Costco.
That's interesting and makes sense. One of the guides we had also said that the Juneau Costco was the smallest in their chain. So less selection and true bulk buying-only. I'm less jealous now!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! We were at Costco this morning and had to talk to the manager about a return (2 bottles of single malt scotch blew their corks and emptied in our car). We told him we were from The Villages, and, we, along with a bunch of other people, wanted a Costco here. He said that they had looked at land here, and it's in the plans. He can't say when, but it's coming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also read on Facebook that someone else had heard the same thing. By the way, he replaced the 2 bottles for free. That's customer service!
As far as Costco not investing in seasonal population areas, I'm not sure that is true. Fort Myers, a sprawling seasonal area, has had a Costco for 20 years and it does so much business that they built a
second store there (only 6 or 7 miles away) about 6 years ago. Both are jammed with customers in season and do a decent business the rest of the year. I say regarding Costco the classic movie line applies,
"if you build it, they will come."
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM

I live in currently live in Anchorage. While the city population is ~250,000, this Costco also serves the outlying areas (add another 250,000) and some from the bush ship stuff out by plane. They do a lot of durables (furniture, TVs, appliances, etc.) and non-durable sales (food and clothes) - I guess some people think you can never have enough blue tarps!!. In fact, my beautiful bride only allows me to shop there on Fridays because I don't do well in crowded stores (LOL)... but they also sell beer, wine and other distilled spirits .
Old 06-25-2018, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I live in currently live in Anchorage. While the city population is ~250,000, this Costco also serves the outlying areas (add another 250,000) and some from the bush ship stuff out by plane. They do a lot of durables (furniture, TVs, appliances, etc.) and non-durable sales (food and clothes) - I guess some people think you can never have enough blue tarps!!. In fact, my beautiful bride only allows me to shop there on Fridays because I don't do well in crowded stores (LOL)... but they also sell beer, wine and other distilled spirits .
You look so pale in your avatar.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Ain’t that the truth! ... actually I have a bit more of a tan (even from Alaska) than the avatar. We are getting more than 19 hours of sunlight right now - just about maxed out! That means... for the next 6 months we will be loosing dailight. .... I like to think of my glass being half full - So... we are just starting Summer! Yea!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.