Costco coming?

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I live in currently live in Anchorage. While the city population is ~250,000, this Costco also serves the outlying areas (add another 250,000) and some from the bush ship stuff out by plane. They do a lot of durables (furniture, TVs, appliances, etc.) and non-durable sales (food and clothes) - I guess some people think you can never have enough blue tarps!!. In fact, my beautiful bride only allows me to shop there on Fridays because I don't do well in crowded stores (LOL)... but they also sell beer, wine and other distilled spirits .
I'll bet it gets pretty crowded when that Permanent Fund check thing gets sent out.

Someone told me that the people in the Bush and Native Villages make some pretty big orders at that time...and Costco gets pretty nuts.

I'm guessing that with your allergy to crowds...you don't go there during that period?
Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
That's interesting and makes sense. One of the guides we had also said that the Juneau Costco was the smallest in their chain. So less selection and true bulk buying-only. I'm less jealous now!
Don’t be anytime you have to buy 500 booties at a time for your dogs and store them it’s a fun buying adventure. Stupid me asked why so many, he laughed and said how long can you keep a boot on a running dog.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage

Amazon delivery and Walmart Pick-up is a game changer. sorry, old news
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I live in currently live in Anchorage. While the city population is ~250,000, this Costco also serves the outlying areas (add another 250,000) and some from the bush ship stuff out by plane. They do a lot of durables (furniture, TVs, appliances, etc.) and non-durable sales (food and clothes) - I guess some people think you can never have enough blue tarps!!. In fact, my beautiful bride only allows me to shop there on Fridays because I don't do well in crowded stores (LOL)... but they also sell beer, wine and other distilled spirits .

You're lucky you have a Costco. They closed 3 SAM's in AK.

Anchorage, 8801 Old Seward Hwy., 99515
Anchorage, 1074 N Muldoon Road, 99504
Fairbanks, 48 College Road, 99701
Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Sage

Costco coming ? Trader Joe’s ?Who cares if it does or not. I can’t imagine my depression era parents giving a crap either. Corporations laugh at all of us. We’re all chumps that’ll buy into anything and they know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Whether you like Sam's or not, somewhere in the Corporation there was a person with vision who could see that TV was going to grow and they got here first, and I have never been in Sam's when it was not busy. They got here in time to get a piece of land just outside TV, but close enough to serve not only us, but anyone using 411.

In my opinion, Cosco made the big mistake by not taking a chance and jumping in early. We must be a gold mine for Publix and Lowes. They took a chance on TV and won. There is still land available on the outskirts of TV if one of the other big box stores want to chance it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Is it possible Costco has a requirement for higher revenues in their stores, than Sam’s? I was in Maui a few days ago and I was told their Costco is one of the better producing at $1M/day. I know TV will not produce $1million each day but a store in TV should not end up at the bottom of their chain. Here in the Seattle area there is a Costco about every 3 or 4 miles, no way they can all be winners, can they?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Doubt they would come here. The homes are too small to stock up on supplies.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

I lived 10 minutes from a Costco in Atlanta until moving here in 12'. I was told the same thing there by a store manager six years ago. We do not fit the marketing strategy of Costco. We are 99.9% two member family households and would not purchase anywhere near enough to meet Costco's revenue plans or marketing dynamics. People living on fixed incomes with two member households is not how they operate. I could possibly see a store between TV and South Ocala but I even seriously doubt that.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Strange then that I do over 600 inspections here in The Villages yearly, and I see SO MANY homes full of Kirkland stuff. Orlando has 3 Costco's there....

Add to that fact, I've never seen Sam's Club empty here...and BJ's in Clermont also does quite well....I would LOVE a closer Costco. I guess only time will tell.

Until then, going to Costco near Millenia Mall is something we enjoy doing....I like going to that one more than the one in Altamonte Springs....

Frank
Old 06-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Doubt they would come here. The homes are too small to stock up on supplies.
??? So why does Sams do so well?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 PM

Costco thrives on selling bulk. Villagers not their type of buyers.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Compared to who/what? Another SAM’s, grocery chain, appliance store?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
??? So why does Sams do so well?
Do you mean THIS SAM's or SAMs in general or SAMs compared to ACE hardware? While no one knows how THIS location does the fact they remain opened doesn't mean this location is profitable. Large businesses (WALMART/SAMs is that for sure) can "spread" losses and profits among hundreds of locations. If they do well in 300 locations they can afford to do not so well in a couple others and remain there "for the community."

I am at THIS SAM's just about weekly and rarely find them busy except around the first of the months in the fall/winter when snowbirds start coming back. Of course the $1.50 dog and soda brings folks in for lunch. SAMs has closed a LOT of locations this year so they are obviously trying to keep the average up and weed out some of the dogs. They closed an almost brand new location near where I used to live (~20 miles from NYC) and it was 10x busier during slow hours then I have ever seen this one during peak hours which really surprised me. There was a BJ's 3 miles down the road and a Costco 8 miles away.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I would think a store manager would not be privy to corporate plans of such a nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he might be in on the huge Bush Beans conspiracy !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.