Cottage Homes vs. CYV's

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
but I'm still several years away from being able to buy in TV.
You better hurry.If you wait until after buildout the property values are going to skyrocket!!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Barefoot, you probably don't need to worry about stray dogs but you do need to worry about the coyotes....gn
GN, our new house backs on a golf course in Belvedere Village just down the road from you. And you are right! I sure do worry about coyotes. I never let my dogs out unsupervised during the day, even tho one of them weighs 70lbs. And at night, after dark, I never let them out in the back yard at all.

Well, I'm back in Canada now and we have bears here. There's always something!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have seen, with my own eyes, a coyote on our street in Hadley. We have a sweet neighbor dog who was trained to carry the newspaper to the doors of a few neighbors if they left a treat on the doorstep.

That treat leaving had to be discontinued because the coyote was taking the treats.....

AND.... back to the original question about CYV vs. Cottage homes.

Someone gave us this advice on this forum when we were looking for a home here.

Get as much space as you comfortably can afford because you will need it because you will take up a bunch of new activities that you will need space to house the equipment. That is just one reason. You will find that you will use this home simalarly to how you used your old home and will need some of the "stuff" again that you threw away...
Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
You better hurry.If you wait until after buildout the property values are going to skyrocket!!
Unfortunately I currently cannot afford to maintain two homes (unless I win the lottery), so I guess I will have to take my chances and wait for a few more years before I can purchase in TV.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

bump
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Gold member
Default one more thought

I don't live there but another issue between these two homes is that you can have a larger garage and add on a golf cart garage too with a cottage home. I like CYV's if only the garage was bigger

Last edited by ssmith; 04-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
I did not think about snowbirds and CYV. That is what we just bought. We already met 2 couples who bought on our street in Buttonwood..they were there looking at the homes they just bought just as we were. One is snowbirding and the other will be full time like us.
I still would not give up the CYV being fenced in. We do like the privacy and absolutely need the fencing for the furry kids. I am looking forward to having breakfast on the patio in my jammies and the fence will protect others from seeing me as the mess I am when I wake up.

I thought about other kinds of houses and underground fencing, but although that might keep the kids in, it does not keep other dogs out. With a little mini doxie, I would not feel she would be safe when another dog could come into the property.

When I lived in houses with fences before we all got to know each other. If you are interested in being friends with neighbors, as we are, there will be many opportunities to get together. It is more a matter of life style preference of being friendly than having or not having fences.
Hmmm another thing to think about......well I've progressed to sending my financial info to a financial planner friend of mine to get a better idea of how much home I can comfortably afford and still have money for my other passions in life like, quilting...greeting card making and CRUISING!!!!!!

Suzanne
Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We just returned today from a one week LSV and went out with our agent twice to look at CYV's and cottages. Price wise, for about $179K you can get a 3 BR cottage or a 3 BR Savannah series villa. Besides the privacy issue, you do get masonary construction with the Savannah villas which is not available in a cottage. If that's not a factor for you, then the cottage would give you much more room for crafts since they all come with a 2 car or 2 plus garage (3 doors). The other big difference is the bond, our agent said the average CYV was about $12K and the cottages about $21K. That convinced us to go with a villa.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Gold member
Default maintenance expenses also less w/CYV

Unless you have a large corner lot, will cost less to mow (or you can eliminate the grass), less in irrigation. The new CYV neighborhoods have block walls dividing the villas, so you shouldn't need to paint them. Most are, however, not as high as in some of the villa neighborhoods of at least 4-5 years ago, so a little less privacy. Previous poster is correct in that the bond is the biggest expense difference.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Unless you have a large corner lot, will cost less to mow (or you can eliminate the grass), less in irrigation. The new CYV neighborhoods have block walls dividing the villas, so you shouldn't need to paint them. Most are, however, not as high as in some of the villa neighborhoods of at least 4-5 years ago, so a little less privacy. Previous poster is correct in that the bond is the biggest expense difference.
I think this is a bigger factor than the bond. the $9K difference in the bond can be saved elsewhere - but the maintenance goes on forever...

However, one caveat... we have a villa wall to the rear of us, and we are responsible for painting and maintenance...
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Default Windows

I think another big difference (for us anyway) is the fact that other than one guest bedroom and the garage there are NO windows that allow you to see the front/street side of the house. We were not use to that.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
This brings up another question that came to my mind. If you have a CYV that is a small enclosed yard and you do away with grass are they much hotter. By being a small area with the walls can breezes get through and grass does provide a bit of a cooling effect where as cement pads and rock radiate the heat. Any one have any insight to those issues. I certainly like the lower bond possibility. Oh and this could relate to either CYV or Cottage home. Any opinions on inside vs. garage laundry area? It would seem to me doing laundry in garage could have some difficulties like needing to keep garage really clean and it being so hot out there in summer.
Suzanne
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Gold member
Default no windows in living area to the front street

On an other post someone said they stayed in a CYV but did not like having windows to the front stree to see what is going on....hmmm....does that affect the ability to see when neighbors are out for chatting in driveways? How about it you who live CYV's?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Gold member

We have a CYN and did the back and front in rock and do not have any problem with heat. If we had a dog we would have left the grass, but like the ideal of not having any maintance. Still get great breezes, no excessive heat.

No problems with chatting with the neighbors either. Your constantly running into someone when your coming and going.

We have the Bonita 3/2 with the laundry inside, because in my last home the laundry was in the garage and I thought it was to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter. My one neighbor hates having hers in the garage because of that, plus she's always running to check when it's done.

The 3rd bedroom we turned into an office/craft room, and it's nice to have the extra closet space.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Gold member

bump
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.