Could this be more Villages following Fenney?

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 PM

As long as they keep the amenities in line with the population, who cares? If they start building "village islands" that are not connected to the main campus, don't have significant amenities, and have the right to use main campus amenities, things could get interesting.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon82 View Post
As long as they keep the amenities in line with the population, who cares? If they start building "village islands" that are not connected to the main campus, don't have significant amenities, and have the right to use main campus amenities, things could get interesting.
Fenny people will use the main campus amenities and nobody from the main campus will use Fenny amenities. What will Fenny have that the main campus doesn't ? Nothing...What will Fenny have that the main campus people want? Nothing...
My wife searches the Rec news for yoga and swim activities for the week which ultimately take her to all of the different rec centers south of Lake Sumter. During the off season she needs to arrive 30 to 45 minutes early to secure her place. She certainly will not travel south of SR44 on a golf cart.

Last edited by RickeyD; 09-17-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

I was told by a Village real estate agent a year or so ago that the Developer wanted to continue building in order to continue employment for an many employees as possible. It seemed to me like a sincere and honest opinion from someone fairly close to those in charge of the construction operations of The Villages.

Of course, with the large commercial property owned by the Developer, a larger population base is certainly not bad for business.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Thanks for looking this up!

From page 5 ->
At build out, and subject to the conditions and restrictions herein, there will be a maximum of 1,214 residential units, 1,930 apartments, condominiums, and townhouses, .....

too few residential units

From Page 46 ->
The onsite wetlands total just under 40% of the site and along with adjacent upland buffers are being preserved.

too little space

This doesn’t sound like the usual game plan for our developer based on the above plans.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 09-17-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
An application for mass grading has been submitted the Southwest Florida Water Management District for an area called Southern Oaks. It is 2,307 acres, located south of 44 (but not touching 44), east of 468 and north of the Turnpike. Link to application: Environmental Resource Permit Apps

The attachment shows the outline of Southern Oaks.

Here's the interesting part. The applicants are the property owner - Daryl M Carter, PO box, Orlando - as well as Martin Dzure, 1045 Lake Sumter Landing, The Villages.

Grant & Dzuro Engineering is at this address. This address was formerly used by Mid Florida Properties LLC, a developer-owned business that is now at 1020 Lake Sumter Landing.

Hmm ... If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
Just take a ride down that way. Lots of trees coming down, and land being cleared.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Fenny people will use the main campus amenities and nobody from the main campus will use Fenny amenities. What will Fenny have that the main campus doesn't ? Nothing...What will Fenny have that the main campus people want? Nothing...
My wife searches the Rec news for yoga and swim activities for the week which ultimately take her to all of the different rec centers south of Lake Sumter. During the off season she needs to arrive 30 to 45 minutes early to secure her place.
Even if it's accessible by golf cart?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
As long as the sun comes and goes down in the evening the build will continue.

How many of use got sucked in by the build out?
Not me, because even five years ago I asked myself what the developer's incentive was to stop what has obviously shown to be a very successful business model?

Given that 'The Family' is only getting bigger and the natural tendency is to bring those members into 'the business'...I can't see why they would stop.

And as far as I'm concerned, as long as they build the amenities and infrastructure (re: golf courses primarily) to keep up...I welcome additional people seeking their dream retirement spot.

I personally am not one of those (not saying you are either) who have the 'I got mine, find yours somewhere else'...line of reasoning.

I have more than a couple of neighbors (who have been here about twice as long as me)...who feel pretty strong about that philosophy however.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Sage
Default Speculating on the number of homes

champion6, thank you for posting this information . . . very interesting.

The land acquired to build the Village of Fenney (1,000 acres according to the 3/29 article in the other Villages news site) will support 3,000 homes.

I know this is speculation, but if this land in the Southern Oaks project is indeed to become another Village(s), wouldn't a purchase of 2,307 acres support at least 5,000 additional homes?

I remember the first time I visited The Villages in 2011 with my friend who was home shopping. The Villages agent who took us to see homes told us that TV's build out would be complete by 2015 or 2016 at the latest. That was the information given to the Villages sales agents 5 years ago to pass along to potential home buyers.

I will keep checking TOTV and the other Villages news site to see what happens with this issue.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If the developers feel they need more money and they want to expand the villages that is their perogative. They do an adequate job of providing golf courses and amenities, although as others have pointed out it's very difficult to use some of those amenities during the high season because of the steep demand. But one thing they have not done is to improve the highway infrastructure in and around the villages. Look at route 466 for example. That was built to handle a certain volume of traffic. The villages has almost tripled in size since we moved here and yet the highway infrastructure has changed very little. That translates to traffic tie ups and huge traffic delays during the high season. Each year it is worse with more and more people. Wait until March arrives - this place will be a zoo. You can plan on taking twice as long to get somewhere, given the increased traffic and resultanting decreased roadway capacity.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM
Eternal Member

"The Family" are developers. As long as there is land, they will continue in their job of developing. I would highly doubt they would ever quit their job because others say there should be a buildout.
If there is land, someone will develop it. I would much rather have "The Family" develop it than some other developer who will certainly not care about us at all.
Carry on Morse Family. I love it.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:23 AM

I'm just throwing this out. I have no inside information. Do you think that The Developer will eventually connect the new Village of Fenny to the main campus? Fill in the space in between? Is that even possible?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
I'm just throwing this out. I have no inside information. Do you think that The Developer will eventually connect the new Village of Fenny to the main campus? Fill in the space in between? Is that even possible?
Would have to find a way to cross the turnpike.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
If the developers feel they need more money and they want to expand the villages that is their perogative. They do an adequate job of providing golf courses and amenities, although as others have pointed out it's very difficult to use some of those amenities during the high season because of the steep demand. But one thing they have not done is to improve the highway infrastructure in and around the villages. Look at route 466 for example. That was built to handle a certain volume of traffic. The villages has almost tripled in size since we moved here and yet the highway infrastructure has changed very little. That translates to traffic tie ups and huge traffic delays during the high season. Each year it is worse with more and more people. Wait until March arrives - this place will be a zoo. You can plan on taking twice as long to get somewhere, given the increased traffic and resultanting decreased roadway capacity.
The roads in Sumter county are owned by the county, so they would have to respond to traffic concerns by expanding the capacity. They have already addressed some problems, such as widening the Morse/466 intersection to include right turn lanes and lengthen the left turn lanes on 466 to reduce the times that lane backs up traffic on 466. They completed (finally) the expansion/revision of 466A from Powell Rd. to 301. And now the work on 466A from the Shell station to 441.

When we got here in 2006, 466 east of the seafood place was one lane each direction. The developer funded the expansion to Rolling Acres. And he funded the expansion of 466A from one lane to two from Powell Rd. east to the Shell station. So, IMO, he has fulfilled his responsibility as TV expands.

Traffic increases and facility access problems are endemic in FL during the high season. Recreation facilities, restaurants, medical facilities as well as roads are overtaxed throughout the state. I don't think there is interest in funding expansion for the 3-4 month period.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Would have to find a way to cross the turnpike.
The bridge over the Turnpike is already there, but they are not likely to mix golf cart traffic with turnpike entry/exit traffic, and the road speed limits are too high. The other barrier is SR 44 -- plus the distance. Who would want to travel that far by golf cart?

I think that's the rationale for the "buildout" -- the main area that is golf cart accessible will be finished, but there will be many outlying developments -- done by TV or others -- that will complement the central core.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Default Application Company

Under the documents tab of ERP Permit #24580.004 APP:731440 you will see that the Company name is The Villages of Lake Sumter. The original land use in 2010 called for 1214 residential, 1930 apartments, condominiums, and townhomes, 300 bed ACLF , 505,000 sq.ft. of commercial, and 2,685,000 sq. ft. of business park. Description of permit was : predominately business park and commercial uses that are supported by residential uses. Unless changes are made to original description sounds like this will not be a new "Village' type development but a new type venture.
Closed Thread

Tags
duck, sumter, southern, lake, address

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.