A couple of ways to show courtesy to other drivers

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran member
Default A couple of ways to show courtesy to other drivers

If you are making a left turn or going straight in a cart (or a car, for that matter) at an intersection with no traffic light, please stop your cart or car at the far left side of your lane. This will allow those behind you who are turning right to proceed when safe.

If you are in a cart and turning right onto a street that has a golf cart lane, it is not necessary to wait for cars to pass. You may proceed safely into the cart lane when there are no carts coming. It is very easy for even the worst of drivers to turn into the cart lane without swinging wide into cars.

And if you ask what's my hurry, I'll know for sure that you are one of the inconsiderate drivers. It's not about hurry, it's about being courteous to other drivers.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
...If you are in a cart and turning right onto a street that has a golf cart lane, it is not necessary to wait for cars to pass. You may proceed safely into the cart lane when there are no carts coming. It is very easy for even the worst of drivers to turn into the cart lane without swinging wide into cars...
"Safely" is highly debatable. I rarely provide this "courtesy". My concern is not my "swinging wide into cars". My concern is the cars swinging wide into me.

Sorry, but what you are suggesting as a courtesy violates the most important principle of driving...self-preservation!!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
"Safely" is highly debatable. I rarely provide this "courtesy". My concern is not my "swinging wide into cars". My concern is the cars swinging wide into me.

Sorry, but what you are suggesting as a courtesy violates the most important principle of driving...self-preservation!!
And those same cars could swing wide into you at any point when you are in a golf cart lane, so for self-preservation, you probably shouldn't drive a cart. Shall I assume that when in a car turning right onto a 4 lane road, you also won't proceed when the right lane is clear?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do you honk if the cart in front of you is not positioned right, Mrs. Chicken?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Platinum member

Here is a don't. Don't stop and wave me on when you have the right of way. You may think you are being kind and courteous...I think you are trying to kill me.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
If you are making a left turn or going straight in a cart (or a car, for that matter) at an intersection with no traffic light, please stop your cart or car at the far left side of your lane. This will allow those behind you who are turning right to proceed when safe.

If you are in a cart and turning right onto a street that has a golf cart lane, it is not necessary to wait for cars to pass. You may proceed safely into the cart lane when there are no carts coming. It is very easy for even the worst of drivers to turn into the cart lane without swinging wide into cars.

And if you ask what's my hurry, I'll know for sure that you are one of the inconsiderate drivers. It's not about hurry, it's about being courteous to other drivers.
So, I am supposed to share the lane with another vehicle? No thanks.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Here is a don't. Don't stop and wave me on when you have the right of way. You may think you are being kind and courteous...I think you are trying to kill me.
I second this suggestion. Car drivers who wave on golf cart drivers when the car certainly has the right of way, only instills the incorrect way to drive in our community. Those folks who are not used to driving in our community (snow birds and visitors) will think it is normal for a golf cart driver to have the right of way when the car drivers have right of way.

PLEASE DON'T wave me on when I'm in my golf cart. I will patiently wait until it is safe to proceed. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

I would just be satisfied if people knew vehicles now day have blinkers lights and when you turn either direction you suppose to use them. And YES when you exit the first exit in roundabout THAT IS A TURN!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I would just be satisfied if people knew vehicles now day have blinkers lights and when you turn either direction you suppose to use them. And YES when you exit the first exit in roundabout THAT IS A TURN!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

How about the guy that signals right every time through a circle, every circle from 466 to 466A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
And those same cars could swing wide into you at any point when you are in a golf cart lane...
So the driver of a an automobile 1) clearly sees a golf cart in the right lane ahead of him, or 2) he sees a totally totally clear road ahead with no vehicle in the cart lane.

If you don't see the difference, I won't try to explain it to you. It is clearly hopeless.

Quote:
Shall I assume that when in a car turning right onto a 4 lane road, you also won't proceed when the right lane is clear?
You mean the left lane has has fast moving traffic approaching? Yes...safe assumption. Since in your words "the right lane is clear", how do you know the vehicle approaching in the left lane is not about to change lanes?

Last edited by Polar Bear; 03-18-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Funny about driving, I am usually an impatient person, but I am not when driving. It may be due to the example of the people I rode with growing up and still do, I don't know.

Once is a very great while other drivers make me annoyed, but not every day the way that I feel when I read the headlines of the news on my computer.

Thank Goodness.

I suppose we are all entrenched in our ways, so this thread won't change anyone.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do you honk if the cart in front of you is not positioned right, Mrs. Chicken?
No mam, I just shake my head at the inconsideration.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

lol...kinda don't think that dog will hunt.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM

I suppose you also want me to turn left on 466a just because I have a green light (not green turn signal) and it "looks" like no one is coming. You may be able to see over all the cars, but I can't, and I'm not moving until I get a CLEAR view or a green turn signal. Honk all you want - I'd rather be safe and alive.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, drivers, lane, turning, cars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.