Court Yard Villa Back Yard Drainage

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Default Court Yard Villa Back Yard Drainage

I have a CYV and during the rain last evening my yard totally flooded. I had about 4 to 6 inches of standing water. I checked the neighborhood out front and there was not a flooding problem there. I expected this as the rain was heavy but not anything extremely different from normal heavy rains. My villa is located just north of 466A to give you an idea of its vintage.

Questions:

1.Do CYVs have a drainage system in the back yard? It seems like they would.

2. Is it possible my drains have been covered by the landscaping/mulch by the previous owner? I see no signs of a drain opening.

3. Is there an office or organization in the villages that have the site plans that would show my drainage system and if so, what is that organization and how do I contact them?

4. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I don’t know what area or district you’re in or how you’re back yard landscaped, but in my district all CYV have big drain in back. You’re may be covered up with grass, under bush, or with rocks. Usually is on the right side of yard unless you are on left corner end street, then it in the left side.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

I'm in a Courtyard Villa. In my back yard there is a drain and the landscaping is graded so in heavy rain the water flows toward the drain.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I have a CYV and have standing water sometimes following a heavy rain, but it is almost always gone within an hour or two.

I do have a drain in the grass in the backyard.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

I also have a drain in the back right of my CYV but had standing water toward the front of the backyard by the gate ( same side as drain) I had gutters installed around my entire house and that has helped the standing water issue. Now the water shoots out down toward the drain. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

OP, walk through your gate and straight towards the back of the property. You should see a 12 inch by 12 inch green plastic grate. It is an area drain that carries water through a pipe to the storm drainage system. If it is clogged up with grass or mulch, you need too clean it out.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
OP, walk through your gate and straight towards the back of the property. You should see a 12 inch by 12 inch green plastic grate. It is an area drain that carries water through a pipe to the storm drainage system. If it is clogged up with grass or mulch, you need too clean it out.
Thank you. This was the information I needed. With it, I was able to locate the drain. It was covered with dirt and mulch. I will now be able to institute a fix that will preclude the drain from getting covered again.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:18 AM

Our yard did that recently as well. I went looking for two drains I had recalled seeing some years ago. Took a while to find but when I did find them they were full of grass roots. They grass had clogged them all up. I dug it all out and that took care of the flooding issue. I then got caps for the drains so it hopefully won't happen again and if it does at least I'll have an easier time finding them.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

We have a couple of grates in our patio decking and we added insect screening on top which stops most of the small leaves that we have from some of our trees getting inside.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:46 AM

If you have a courtyard villa, there should be a drain in the back yard in the grassy area. It may be plugged or covered by landscaping.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

You probably have a drain covered by landscape , look for the lay of the land it will be at the lowest part
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 AM

You may want to re-route your gutter system.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:37 AM
Default Backyard drains

For the drains that are covered up with mulch, dirt and other build up, they sell a Drain Box extension box that allow you to raise the cover but still prevent debris from getting into the box. Our was in a flower bed so I raised it to be about 1 inch above the surrounding area, You can get from Amazon.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwdgd View Post
I have a CYV and during the rain last evening my yard totally flooded. I had about 4 to 6 inches of standing water. I checked the neighborhood out front and there was not a flooding problem there. I expected this as the rain was heavy but not anything extremely different from normal heavy rains. My villa is located just north of 466A to give you an idea of its vintage.

Questions:

1.Do CYVs have a drainage system in the back yard? It seems like they would.

2. Is it possible my drains have been covered by the landscaping/mulch by the previous owner? I see no signs of a drain opening.

3. Is there an office or organization in the villages that have the site plans that would show my drainage system and if so, what is that organization and how do I contact them?

4. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

Thank you.
There should be a low corner of your yard with a drainage grate. Despite heavy rain I have never had that problem in the 4 years in my CYV.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:42 AM

The prior owners of our CYV were no longer available to find out where (or even if) there was a drain. When we found it, it had become covered with roots, grass and stones. We cleared away all of the debris and installed a roughly 12" x 12" piece of plastic screening over the drain so that stones etc. could no longer drop into the drain and clog it. That's worked well for us for years now.

Tags
yard, problem, drainage, organization, heavy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.