This "courtesy" is a very dangerous practice

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Founder
Default This "courtesy" is a very dangerous practice

Very often, you see automobile drivers stop and wave golf carts through traffic or across a street at gates. While the motorists are well intended, this is a receipt for disaster. We all know that other car traffic is not aware that a cart has accepted an invitation to buck the normal flow of traffic.

It is much safer if everybody would just obey thier own traffic laws and traffic flow and leave the "courtesy" alone. Many times, specially around Morris Blvd traffic circle, I have seen cars stop in the circle and wave a cart across. Nice gesture....if you don't mind getting smashed in the rear end, or some other car is using its rightful right of way and doesn't know the cart has been waved across. It happens everywhere.

Am I right, or am I wrong?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Default Re: This "courtesy" is a very dangerous practice

Right On!! You hit the nail on the head. I'm suprised someone hasn't gotten killed already.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 PM

It is also very dangerous if you are on a Motorcycle! We nearly got hit today because some "do gooder" waved another driver out and she didn't bother to look to see if there was anything coming!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 PM

While I agree for the most part, I do wave on carts if I have checked behind and beside me, particulary if there is a long line of carts waiting. I do not stop if there is a car beside me or behind me! We have to understand there are well meaning people in the Villages and drive defensively. I drive with the understanding there others will screw up..and am always try to be prepared for the unexpected.

Kit
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitria
While I agree for the most part, I do wave on carts if I have checked behind and beside me, particulary if there is a long line of carts waiting. I do not stop if there is a car beside me or behind me! We have to understand there are well meaning people in the Villages and drive defensively. I drive with the understanding there others will screw up..and am always try to be prepared for the unexpected.

Kit
Regardless of how careful you think you are, you cannot judge the actions of other motorists. As I said in my original subject line. This is a very dangerous practice. Motorists should proceed as they are expected to.....take the right of way when they have it....and allow the golf carts to cross only when the coast is clear and they can make the decision for themselves. But, having said that, I observe that there are more than a few golf cart operators who believe the world revolves around them and hog the road with little or no regard for anybody....not even themselves.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.