Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Courtyard landscape designs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/courtyard-landscape-designs-11874/)

Bubbalarry 02-18-2008 11:44 PM

Re: Courtyard landscape designs

Stone also looks nice and thats the way we plan on adding and removing the ugly straw. Adding sod only gives the mower people $$$$.

Green looks good but not for part timers. It's not maintenance free.

JohnN 02-19-2008 12:04 AM

Bubbalarry,
I think stone's what we're planning too when the time comes.
Durable, attractive and low maintenance

Barefoot 02-19-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalarry
Stone also looks nice and thats the way we plan on adding and removing the ugly straw. Adding sod only gives the mower people $$$$.

Green looks good but not for part timers. It's not maintenance free.

Bubbalarry and JohnN:
We are currently getting estimates on river rock and seminole chips. I think rock costs about 7 times more than mulch!!! But lasts forever. If you find any great rock places, please let me know.

Pete 02-19-2008 12:38 AM

Straw is a breeding place for cockroaches.

And weeds will grow up through rock.

get some sakrette and a form and fill the yard in and maybe paint it they have some neat looking forms to use.

Or astroturf.

jmho

JohnN 02-19-2008 02:59 AM

Pete, can't that landscape material that lets water through but keeps weeds out (it's almost like fabric) be put under the rock? That's what I was thinking.

njgranny 02-19-2008 10:07 PM

They have rock at the place we're renting (Hudson, FL). I'm sure they have that stuff under the rocks, but the weeds are coming up. We use that stuff at home in Jersey, and, eventually, the weeds get through it.

The CYV we looked at last week had the straw and concrete in the back yard. I kind of liked it.

When we are actually ready to buy a house, I'll probably drive the salesperson nuts. I just want to make sure I get the house I want. :-)

JohnN 02-19-2008 10:16 PM

njg,
straw is pretty enough, I had it in Atlanta, but it decomposes fast I think, seems I was always refreshing it,

can't someone just "round up" a few times a year for the weeds that may come up?

I dunno.... just wanting low maintenance

Bubbalarry 02-20-2008 01:50 AM

If you can believe these landscapers who claim once the straw is up they spray an industrial spray thats 10 times stronger than roundup and last 5 years till you need to hit it again. Then they install screening supposedly will prevent those same weeds as well from popping up.

At least thats what they claim.

One scaper told me that if you don't take all the straw and some dirt out when applying stone it will cause a buildup and create a small mound where weeds can grow with less effort.

njgranny 02-21-2008 01:09 AM

I wonder if that spray stuff is harmful to dogs?

The Great Fumar 02-21-2008 01:40 AM

njgranny
Naw , it can't be , otherwise I would be spraying it everywhere...

bow wowed fumar

njgranny 02-21-2008 03:41 PM

Wise guy!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)