Home owners insurance

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to stjade
Default Home owners insurance

We have purchased a house in the village of Piedmont,closing Feb 1st. Called USAA,had insurance with the since 1967, disappointed to find out the will no longer issue home owners ins in Florida. Then called AAA villages ins and was told they only write homeowners if you also buy auto ins from them. Am awaiting a call back from villages insurance in Sumter Landing for a quote. Are there any other good choices to contact.

Thanks Steve ??? ???
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Home owners insurance

Steve, I also had problems but found a company. I'll look it up when I get home and let you know. Basically what I was told that TV insurance wouldn't insure anything older than a couple of years (since when did something built in 1994 become old?) and USAA wouldn't insure something we planned to rent. Interesting that they now won't insure in Florida. Must be lots of former military in Florida.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

I use AARP The Hartford since coming to Florida 9 years ago and I have no problems.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal
I use AARP The Hartford since coming to Florida 9 years ago and I have no problems.
This is good to know. We have our present homeowners' insurance with them as well as auto. Homeowners was cheaper with better coverage than previous ins. co.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM

I just checked with AARP ,Hartford, and they are also not writing any new insurence in Florida. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:-Steve
Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Gold member

We moved into our home in Piedmont on Nov 16th. Our homeowners and auto is with Connie Duff Wise a State Farm agency located on 466.
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM

Thank you Beady I'll call them tommorrow--steve : :
Old 01-12-2008, 07:23 PM

Are there problems finding home insurance in TV? I have heard of other areas in Florida (hurricane prone, near coast, etc) where is difficult or very expensive to obtain insurance. However, this is the first I hear about TV or central Florida. Since TV is one of the places we are considering this is a major issue.

Can someone throw more light on this issue? Anyone who's recently bought and had problems obtaining insurance for home? Thank you.

Pili
Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

We didn't have any trouble except I was surprised that The Villages Insurance wouldn't write a policy for us, nor would USAA. We used the Thomas Keedy agency 352-753-1177 and they used Royal Palm.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM

I also ended up with Royal Palm thru allstate agent in Leesburg 352-430-1364.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Many of the insurance companies have discontinued writing new policies in Florida since the state went into the home insurance business. I know that USAA discontinued writing new policies due to the state jumping into the business.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Sage

Several of you have mentioned that Villages Insurance is no longer writing new homeowners policies in the Villages. Have they given any of you a reason why? I would think this is their bread and butter business and am surprised that they have nothing to offer new owners.

When I shopped with them in July 06, they gave me 3 different company quotes; also had no problems with renewal this past fall.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Sage

English,

I really must ask you a followup...from your prior posts, it doesn't sound like you are currently a Villages homeowner or that you are a serious potential buyer here. Your statement about lack of insurance due to hurricane potential and sinkhole issues...was this a generalization or have you specifically spoken with agents at The Villages Insurance Company?

My question was about The Villages Insurance company who obviously have a stake in making sure new homeowners can get insurance. I was looking for feedback from someone who had spoken with them and been told there are no policies being written NOW.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 AM

Villages Insurance did offer us a policy yesterday. Full coverage for a $300000 home ,with a $500 deductible for $926 a year. This included hurricane coverage. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Sage

Stjade...thanks for the update....that makes me a little more reassured (no pun intended). Couldn't imagine that they quit writing HO policies. Your rates/coverage sound reasonable. Glad it worked out for you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.