Courtyard Villas With No Grass

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Platinum member
Default Courtyard Villas With No Grass

The new CYVs are being built with no grass to be environmentally friendly. In the new CYVs they've added a cement slab which extends outside the lanai to within 5' of the wall which eliminates the grass in the back yard. And in stead of traditional sprinklers, they're using drip irrigation. It's great to see that TV is learning from experience and able to change with the times. Besides the privacy of a CYV, many people CYVs to minimize the cost of landscaping and outside maintenance. This has to save water and the cost of pouring water back into the ground.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts
Default Re: Courtyard Villas With No Grass

great idea, because I don't like mowing or watering or paying for either
Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 AM

I was fortunate to get a CYV in Hadley. We have no grass, no grass fertilizer, no grass expense. Our 2 dogs love walking on the "pine straw". As stated above, we have a very large cement area that is great. The water usage is very low for what we have outside. The builders put in over 200 plants (aztecs, etc.) that look great. I do not want grass and i am glad that they are doing what they are doing. TAKE CARE...KAR GUY.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

What if I don't want a slab which extends to 5' from the wall because I want to build an in ground pool? If there's a slab I will have to spend more money for excavation than if I were just digging up grass! ???
Old 12-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Platinum member

PKP, if you're determined to buy a new CYV, you wouldn't have a choice. Might help you decide to buy a resale.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Thanx gryoung,

I guess I won't have a choice since we're not planning to buy for at least a year >
Or as you suggest a previously owned CYV would work. :edit:
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar guy
I was fortunate to get a CYV in Hadley. We have no grass, no grass fertilizer, no grass expense. Our 2 dogs love walking on the "pine straw". As stated above, we have a very large cement area that is great. The water usage is very low for what we have outside. The builders put in over 200 plants (aztecs, etc.) that look great. I do not want grass and i am glad that they are doing what they are doing. TAKE CARE...KAR GUY.
Hey are you in Hillcrest Villas? If so then hello neighbor. Also those plants they installed are supposed to be good and take very little water. Found from the landscaper that they messed up and put in both types of plants some needing water and some not.

So if you find plants that are brown or dead contact warranty dept and have them put in the correct plants that don't require lots of water.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Hi-
I just got back to Cleveland after spending Nov and Dec in The Villages. Not a good re-entry. I have to disagree with what they are doing in the new Courtyards...and have asked every realtor that I ran in to to express my concern. I can understand why some people want the "pokers" as I call them---with no grass. But, for ME---I want a Courtyard Villa...because of 5 pound dogs. I can see the dog getting one of those pokers stuck as she is going to the bathroom at there...OR, worse--trying to EAT THEM and getting them stuck in the throat. Also, if I wanted to see BROWN everywhere---I could move to Sun City West in Arizona. Part of the appeal to FL is the green areas. I encourage the builders to RE-THINK their plan for Courtyards and make some with the pokers and some with grass. I believe that they are NOT being fair to those that want to have pets and a Courtyard Villa.
Lynn
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM

It seems choices when building are long gone. Alas.......................
Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Doesn't HAVE to be that way--if people, like me, stand up for GRASS in at least SOME of the new COURTYARD VILLAS. Then people can make their own choice. It is NOT an environmental issue with them....it is a cost savings measure FOR THEM. Notice, that they are not making the HOMES with pickers.....they will have a nice green lawn....
Lynn
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

From day one going back to the 1980's - other than Silver Lake and Orange Blossom -there have only been a few models to pick from when buying into 'The Villages'. When Mr. Schwartz designed his very first set of modular homes (NOT DOUBLEWIDES TRAILERS) there were only a hand full of designs to select from. You can see that from the Country Club Hills village. This was his first dream village, the one that made all the rest of this community come about and the one the set some of HIS ground dreams. Unfortunately, those green lawns that are in the Country Club Hills village won't be in those villa's. Air quality depends greatly on the amount of lawn, trees, shrubs and other vegetation. Fact is folks, the air quality in Sumter county where the clear cutting has occurred will be pretty nasty once all of those cars, trucks and gas golf carts start rolling in. Don't think for a minute the grass from the golf courses will clean the air in your lovely area, they won't. Those blades of grass are kept so short they can hardly keep the plant alive let alone clean the air for us to benefit. Grass also helps to keep the rain in the ground once it rains so that is a benefit that is being taken away by all of the city cement being poured over the earth. So think again about not wanting green around you. Wait until you have your first dust bowl experience from the clear cutting the villages has been doing. I have seen it. It isn't pretty. I suggest you wear a dust mask. PS: I have a lawn and it takes 17 minutes to mow and I get to talk with my neighbors when I am out doing yard work. I still play golf 3 days a week and that's a good thing.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Sage

Boobear - Is there any actual science behind your statements? I'm not criticizing but before i look it up I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time. The last time i looked most of the golf courses had rough that was a couple of inches thick - Correct? Does it need to be longer? Might hurt my game but heck if it's good for the environment!

I also think that ALL of the new homes (ranch, designer, premier for example) EXCEPT certain villas have a grass area. Yes? No? Was i seeing things? If so I'll make an immediate opthomology appointment.

Interesting - The Villages will turn into a dust bowl? And you've seen it happen before? We'd better be careful! Fortunately I'm a nurse so i have a ready supply of masks!

Just busting - But seriously c'mon!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Of all the homes, Premier, Designer, Ranch, and Villas, the new "Courtyard Villas" (a subset of "villas") is the only model without grass.* While Courtyard villas account for a significant percentage of the number of homes, they account for a relatively small percentage of the area of development, probably less than 15%.* And even with the extended concrete areas, probably 10% +/- of each courtyard villas area is pervious area, allowing rainwater to perk into the ground.* The net benefit of no grass/little irrigation probably exceeds the marginal benefit of little strips of grass, especially when maintenance is considerd. And think of the reduction of noise in the neighborhood, not having all the lawn service mowers and edgers cranking up at 7 or 8 in the morning (I'm not sure when they are allowed to begin).*

We are getting the Courtyard Villa and find there is plenty of room for our Pom to do her business. :bigthumbsup:* We were pleased to see the grass removed.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM

I still love courtyard villas. Wish I had purchased one years ago.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 PM

It seems to me that there are + and - to this issue.
If you are a snow Bird +++++++
If you hate to mow +++++++
If you want minimum grass maintenance +++++++++++

If you love grass ---------
If you like to putter in the yard --------
If you want that pool -------
If you don't want to be like all the other people who concreted their yard who live in a Baltimore row house --------

The good thing about this issue is you still have a choice buying a resale is not a negative in my book if you really want grass. And, I bet the owners will also leave you the mower.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.