Covering a birdcage

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Covering a birdcage

We have an Anaheim model Courtyard Villa with a 15' x 5' birdcage extension on the lanai. I want to cover the roof, probably with canvas, to keep the rain under better control. Have you had this done, and if so, who did the work, providing it was good? About how much did it cost?
Old 01-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,703 Posts

We considered covering at least part of ours to have a dry area when raining. However, we were informed that would void the warranty on the birdcage since the rated wind speed design calculations did not include anything attached to the birdcage. I am looking into a motorized retractable awning that would cover a seating area inside the birdcage as an alternative, but am still in the research stage.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

My neighbor had canvas installed, this consisted of a steel (?) frame for the canvas that was attached to the aluminum birdcage. They have had continuing leak problems that no one has been able to find or fix. These are along the masonry walls and cause water to drain inside the wall during heavy rain. Also, I am note sure that steel (?) bolted to aluminum is a good idea, this generally leads to corrosion problems.
So when you decide on a vendor, get a guarantee with regard to leakage. I will note that the canvas did survive IRMA, but this was also installed in the area of the bird cage between the house and masonry walls, not in the area with just the aluminum supports.
In any case ask lots of questions and make sure the company stands behind their work.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM

We bought an Anaheim that was preowned. It does have a cover on the extension and we have loved it. I’m sorry I can’t tell you who did it or how much it cost. We feel like it was a great investment.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Contact Cody Sellers at Home Page . We have 2 covers and like them very much. We did have an issue with some water leaking but they worked with us until resolved. Would recommend.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM

We have a Bridgeport with an extended birdcage across the back of the house. We have had a canvas covering across the entire birdcage for probably 6 years. It was installed by Sunshine Awnings. No problems
Closed Thread

Tags
birdcage, control, work, cost, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.