Why hop into the golf cart lane right in front of a golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts
Default Why hop into the golf cart lane right in front of a golf cart?

That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Death wish? Shaking my head!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Cant be too careful considering the pedestrians around here.

Due to social distancing have to go into golf cart lane sometimes and one should always look behind you.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post

Due to social distancing have to go into golf cart lane sometimes and one should always look behind you.
If the person walking towards the traffic on side walks steps off to allow space when passing another pedestrian, it would make the job a whole lot safer, as they can see oncoming far easier.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If the person walking towards the traffic on side walks steps off to allow space when passing another pedestrian, it would make the job a whole lot safer, as they can see oncoming far easier.
Very true but some people think the other person is the one to get out of the way
Old 05-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Death wish? Shaking my head!

LOL, Must have been the same lady I "ran across" (PUN intended) on O'Dell, was it around 8:30AM? What they are trying to do is keep the 6' "social distancing" spacing as they walk by someone coming the other way and for most of that area there is no grass to step into, just shrubs or the street. I fully understand that but they REALLY need to look for oncoming carts or they will end up with about 6 INCH social distance spacing from the windshield !!
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Suicide by golf cart.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOL, Must have been the same lady I "ran across" (PUN intended) on O'Dell, was it around 8:30AM? What they are trying to do is keep the 6' "social distancing" spacing as they walk by someone coming the other way and for most of that area there is no grass to step into, just shrubs or the street. I fully understand that but they REALLY need to look for oncoming carts or they will end up with about 6 INCH social distance spacing from the windshield !!
A lady did exactly the same thing to me on Moyer Loop today, EXCEPT there were no other pedestrians on the sidewalk. She then played "chicken" with me and refused to get back on the side walk as I approached. Since I was driving right into the sun, I almost couldn't see her. Suicide by golf cart????? Mental Illness?????
And also, Florida statute 316.130 sec 3 states that no pedestrian can walk in any paved area intended for vehicular traffic when a sidewalk is available. Hope she got where she was going in one piece.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

amazing how some folks just live in their own little world and are totally clueless about what is going on around them at times

maybe there should be a class in 'defensive walking' along with 'defensive golf cart driving' classes lol
Old 05-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Good thing you were monitoring your speed and only going 19.9. Because you know what people would say if it was 20.1. Any chance or possibly you were monitoring to closely and should have been watching the road? Just saying.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
amazing how some folks just live in their own little world and are totally clueless about what is going on around them at times

maybe there should be a class in 'defensive walking' along with 'defensive golf cart driving' classes lol
very true
Old 05-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage

The other morning approx. 7 AM, I'm pulling into a parking space @ my local mail box, a golf cart pulls into a parking space and continues to his right parallel to the curb & stops 6" from my fender, several other people , including myself kept our mouths shut at the absolute arrogance of a personal with his own self importance , little did he know what a front fender on a MB would have cost him, guess his cart doesn't have reverse
Old 05-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Maybe the woman noticed one of those black racer/darter snakes in the lawn and sought to get away from it?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
A lady did exactly the same thing to me on Moyer Loop today, EXCEPT there were no other pedestrians on the sidewalk. She then played "chicken" with me and refused to get back on the side walk as I approached. Since I was driving right into the sun, I almost couldn't see her. Suicide by golf cart????? Mental Illness?????
And also, Florida statute 316.130 sec 3 states that no pedestrian can walk in any paved area intended for vehicular traffic when a sidewalk is available. Hope she got where she was going in one piece.
Isn't a MMP, equivalent to a sidewalk, an MMP is not " a roadway paved for vehicular traffic'''
And, there are special local rules for counties that allow golf carts, and they trump FL St 316.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post

Even if someone is walking towards you out in the open air, please don't jump into a golf cart lane when a golf cart is traveling nearly 20 MPH and is close enough to kill you.

To be honest, I have no idea if this pedestrian had someone walking in the opposite direction on the side walk. It was still a very unsafe move to jump into the MMP in front of an oncoming golf cart.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
Good thing you were monitoring your speed and only going 19.9. Because you know what people would say if it was 20.1. Any chance or possibly you were monitoring to closely and should have been watching the road? Just saying.
I wasn't "monitoring" my speed. My electric cart goes a maximum of 19.9 MPH on flat land. I had pedal to the medal so I know I was traveling at 19.9 MPH without the need to check the speedometer.

Tags
cart, golf, walk, woman, lane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.